AfterDawn: Tech news

PS4 dev kit has 16GB RAM?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Nov 2012 11:29 User comments (13)

PS4 dev kit has 16GB RAM? According to VG247, Sony has already sent out development kits for the upcoming Sony PlayStation 4.
There are supposedly four versions of the dev kit, and the one being sent out currently is based on the AMD A10 APU (combining CPU and GPU in one chip), 16GB RAM, 256GB internal storage, a Blu-ray drive and all the same inputs/outputs of the PS3.

The chip being used is said to "run games in 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second in 3D without any slowdown."

Of course, because dev kits are modified PCs, the RAM will most likely be lower in the final product, but even half of the stated RAM would be a huge upgrade from the current generation of consoles.

Other past reports have claimed the PS4 will be be able to run games and videos at 4K.

Sony is expected to announce the console early next year for release before the holiday season.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

14.11.2012 11:47

4k is a must

24.11.2012 13:18

I'm a little skeptical about 4k support... Will 4k be even affordable in the next 5 years, let alone available anywhere?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Nov 2012 @ 1:19

34.11.2012 15:38

Originally posted by Morreale:
I'm a little skeptical about 4k support... Will 4k be even affordable in the next 5 years, let alone available anywhere?
It wouldn't shock me if it was 4k (with 4k Blu-Ray support), after all; the major selling point of the PS2 was it was an early DVD player and the PS3 was an early Blu-Ray player. I doubt Sony would want to kill the formula of Games console+Something new that's been working kind of well for them.

44.11.2012 16:16

Originally posted by A5J4DX:
4k is a must
I've heard nonsense comments but this one takes the proverbial cake. 4K is YEARS AND YEARS away. While they might make a couple 4K televisions, they are 20 grand and broadcasting in ultra HD is probably a solid 10 years away.....so don't make lame comments such as "4K is a must". Besides, I'd bet my ass that the PS4 being 4K is not gonna happen.

Now, in regards to the article, somehow I Just have a feeling that the up-and-coming consoles won't be "the last generation of consoles to be produced" as one analyst stated a few months back.

Frankly, if they're going to make a new XBox and PS4 when games themselves haven't increased in technology to necessitate new, next-gen consoles, then clearly we have many more hardware generations yet to be released.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Nov 2012 @ 4:17

54.11.2012 16:25

Originally posted by hearme0:
Now, in regards to the article, somehow I Just have a feeling that the up-and-coming consoles won't be "the last generation of consoles to be produced" as one analyst stated a few months back.
It will be if major game developers keep peddling Fifa 13s and horror-film-like sequels at ridiculous current price points, and snuffing out the creative small-fries that make real valued games. IMO.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Nov 2012 @ 4:25

65.11.2012 23:53
Detonati0n
Unverified new user

Originally posted by keith1993:
Originally posted by Morreale:
It wouldn't shock me if it was 4k (with 4k Blu-Ray support), after all; the major selling point of the PS2 was it was an early DVD player and the PS3 was an early Blu-Ray player. I doubt Sony would want to kill the formula of Games console+Something new that's been working kind of well for them.
I really think Sony gearing the Ps4 to support 4k would be a very bad move. However, if they released a 4k version of the ps4, that would be smart, allowing (basically people who have enough cash for a 25 grand tv) to buy a console that would eventually satisfy their 4k needs. The games could simply be rendered in 4k for that version, but would be designed to play in 1080p. Doing anything but would be a repeat of the $600 ps3 problem Sony had, only when it could match the 360 in price did Sony gain momentum.

76.11.2012 14:44

one thing that makes this completely bogus is the fact that is says it will be based on amd's a10 APU.

86.11.2012 18:30

Originally posted by Detonati0n:
Originally posted by keith1993:
I really think Sony gearing the Ps4 to support 4k would be a very bad move. However, if they released a 4k version of the ps4, that would be smart, allowing (basically people who have enough cash for a 25 grand tv) to buy a console that would eventually satisfy their 4k needs. The games could simply be rendered in 4k for that version, but would be designed to play in 1080p. Doing anything but would be a repeat of the $600 ps3 problem Sony had, only when it could match the 360 in price did Sony gain momentum.
You see, the thing you're missing is just because 4k TV's are expensive and may be a way off it doesn't mean devices capable of 4k must be. There are already mid-range computer graphics cards that are no more expensive then any other new generation of GPU that are 4k capable (like the Nvidia GTX 660 for example) nor does UHDTV require additional connectors or anything like that, there is no reason they couldn't treat 4k very similarly to the way 1080p is treated on the PS3, where there's no punishment (other then obviously the lower resolution) for using a none 1080p capable screen and the game developers can pick what resolution they want to render their game in.

98.11.2012 07:59

Quote:
Frankly, if they're going to make a new XBox and PS4 when games themselves haven't increased in technology to necessitate new, next-gen consoles, then clearly we have many more hardware generations yet to be released.
Frankly, you've got it backwards. Games currently aren't advancing because of the limitations imposed on developers by the core hardware of the consoles. As consoles improve, developers can make more advanced games. Consoles are where the money is, so that's what dictates advancement.

108.11.2012 17:03

wtf is up with the small storage. the next gen should be 1-2 terabytes minimum.

118.11.2012 18:01

I've heard nonsense comments but this one takes the proverbial cake. 4K is YEARS AND YEARS away. While they might make a couple 4K televisions, they are 20 grand and broadcasting in ultra HD is probably a solid 10 years away.....so don't make lame comments such as "4K is a must". Besides, I'd bet my ass that the PS4 being 4K is not gonna happen.
Nonsense. Sony already sells a 4K Blu-ray Disc Player, the BDP-S790, available for a whopping $248 at Amazon. It only upscales to 4K since there is currently no 4K support in the Blu-ray Disc format, but clearly upscaling the output of the PS4 to 4K would be trivial and inexpensive, given how much more graphical horsepower it will have than a run-of-the-mill Blu-ray Disc player.

1210.11.2012 01:36

Originally posted by six60six:
wtf is up with the small storage. the next gen should be 1-2 terabytes minimum.[/quot

it is a SSD I should think. I already have a 1TB in my PS3.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Nov 2012 @ 1:37

1320.1.2013 18:29

Originally posted by A5J4DX:
4k is a must
Ive heard nonsense comments but this one takes the proverbial cake. 4K is YEARS AND YEARS away. While they might make a couple 4K televisions, they are 20 grand and broadcasting in ultra HD is probably a solid 10 years away.....so dont make lame comments such as "4K is a must". Besides, Id bet my ass that the PS4 being 4K is not gonna happen.

Now, in regards to the article, somehow I Just have a feeling that the up-and-coming consoles wont be "the last generation of consoles to be produced" as one analyst stated a few months back.

Frankly, if theyre going to make a new XBox and PS4 when games themselves havent increased in technology to necessitate new, next-gen consoles, then clearly we have many more hardware generations yet to be released.
NHK start broadcasting in 4k in 5 months >.>

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive