1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV IRELAND

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by kimcooper1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. kimcooper1

kimcooper1 Member

Hi all

I have been away for a while, hoping someone can give some advice.

I am on UPC Ireland but i also have a satellite and a FTA box is there any box i could get that could recieve all channels for free.

Thanks

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

nothing on upc works now like pre n3 boxes,sat boxes are not free if you want say movies/sports etc,card sharing with a paid sub to view encrypted channels,saorview is the new irish tv service giving free tv but uses an aerial on roof.

3. kimcooper1

kimcooper1 Member

Thanks for the info, really miss the old nagra :)

Is card sharing with paid sub - using Dreambox connected to Internet and pay yearly sub to a site????

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Yip, although I would get a HD box such as the blade box or the Openbox etc,

5. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Hi MICKAH..

Would you have any idea where a person could buy such a box in Ireland? Or get one delivered at a good price?

A chap I know wants to buy one,but a guy that I used to deal with here seems to have gone off the radar,so I can't recommend him anymore. He's looking for something with a DVR..And I presume HD.

I can get the guy a c-line no bother,,but the guy would need a "programmed" box ready for the c-line.

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Hi mate, for cheap and cheerful I would go for a Openbox (60 to 70 euros) they are HD and have a basic DVR on them, the blade is another all rounder, if you want duel tuners (record and watch another chan at the same time) both can be got from here
    http://www.satsecure.co.uk used to be Skywonders site, same guys running it and can be trusted

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...S2-Linux-Dual-Boot-Digital-Satellite-Receiver

your looking at a pricer model about 200 euros give or take, Pat has a great tut on here how to use the openbox and how to load the cline, they are really simple to use, a lot of the non linux boxs are, you just enter the cline details and off they go,

7. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Thanks MICKAH,

I have an Openbox Myself..But it's hard to explain to someone that has no idea about them.
    Would those lads that sell them programme them with everything other than a c-line?

8. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

as far as I am aware the ccam firmware is on the openmedia already, so its a case of put the line in, chans you have to scan yerself, if you have an open box you can do a chan file and give it to your mate or load it for him, they are in the UK so cant see em loading a chan file on them

9. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Cool...

Thank you for all your help.

10. pippster

pippster Member

Hi guys been a while since I've been on but just back in the country from a sojourn in America and have a couple of questions. Mickah ya might be able to help me. I'm interested in getting one of these new boxes. I have a sly dish with no connection will the box work off that? Also I have wi fi mobile broadband with tree will that do the job for these boxes? And thirdly whats the best box to get? I wouldnt mind splashing out a little extra on one that can record. I see the prices on sat secure are wide ranging and am really unsure which one would do the best job. Also i'm pretty thick when it comes to setting these boxes up where would i get a reputable cline? Thanks for the help guys.

11. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Cheap and cheerful, the openbox/F3 it can record and its HD, spend a bit more the Blade box, HD, Media player and recordable, yes it will work on any dish and no, those dongles are a bit crap for sharing, the latency on the line causes drop outs, get proper bband installed,

12. pippster

pippster Member

Thats what I was afraid of. There is no wimax in the area and Eircom just seems a rip off to me. Is there any other decent Broadband providers for €30 a month?

I was looking at the blade Box from Sat secure looks decent value. Do you suggest anyone for a c share?

13. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

depends where ure based just shop about, but those sticks yer wasting yer time and will end up banging yer head off a wall, a cline I can recommend one to you via PM, even to test when your set up

14. pippster

pippster Member

Ok thanks man. I'll do a little more research tonight as to what box best suits us. I'm in Meath land of the gargoyles so options are limited pretty much to Vodafone, Eircom or Digiweb.Anyway I look at it its going to be €40 a month! So just have to bite the bullet.

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

yeah price about alright, see whats the best in yer area, to be fair. a lot of BBAND is around that price, albeit, UPC is 30 megs for that price

16. pippster

pippster Member

yeah but cant get UPC in the area I'm in unfortunately

17. cactikid

cactikid Active member

any high trees near you as that might block signal with digiweb, have to leave eircom too many glitches,time for upc.

18. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

have UPC myself, works excellent, havent had many complaints

19. pippster

pippster Member

Is there many glitches with Eircom? From the research i've done it looks like Eircom or Vodafone are the two best suited to where i am and what I'm looking for. anyone got an opinion on who provides the better broadband?

20. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

they are much the same, as Eircom own the lines, vodafone is using there network to provide the bband, so its what ever is the cheaper of the two