1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping Computer Fast and Trouble Free

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by floccinaucini, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Last time I used it, SpyBot had a service that runs in the background called TeaTimer for real-time protection, but it can be disabled in the options menu.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im curious about the defrag.i have never done a defrag and would like to hear what effect it will have on the computer or what effect it will have if you dont run one.I have tryed to run 1 on my mums old computer but it crashed when it was running.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

When you open and re-save files, the data that makes up your files becomes fragmented between different 'blocks' on the HDD. E.g (1,2,3,4 & 5 begin different files).

1|1|2|3|4|5|1|

De-fragmenting your HDD re-arranges the 'blocks' so that they are all located together which overall keeps things healthy and performing as it should be.

1|2|3|4|5

That is a rather basic example. If you are remembering to defrag your HDD every once in a while then that is often enough. You don't defrag SSDs, and doing so could potentially be detrimental to the health of the drive. It probably locked up on your mum's old computer because it was rather seriously fragmented and the PC didn't have the resources to deal with it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

SUPERAntiSpyware works a lot better that Spybot AntiSpyware. SUPERAntiSpyware doesn't keep you from running your other programs like some of the other antispyware programs.Spybot will give you to many false positives.Avast antivirus works a lot better than most of the other ones.I deleted the one I was paying for and installed Avast on my computer. I have never had anymore viruses on my computer since then.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

i used to defrag regularly with windows xp,but ive noticed win 7 doesnt need it near as much.i would use superantispyware over spybot as well.spybot used to be the one to use but there are plenty of better programs out there today.

6. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

What is this an Advertisement?
    Malwarebytes, CCleaner and a decent virus protection program is really all you need. Also potentially free. I choose to either donate or buy full versions.

East-Tec Eraser is a great program for deleting hard to get rid of tracking cookies internet cache and so on. However it costs money.
    Jeff

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. aldan

aldan Active member

ok,you are probably lucky its me responding to this post and not some other,less tolerant members.what antivirus and why every week.you have just given us noninformation at its best.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

idiot spammer spammed.

9. aldan

aldan Active member

damn,didnt see that one coming

10. madmax26

madmax26 Member

Hi everybody i have been using computers for many years now and i know my way around them
    and after years of trying out every possible program to to keep your pc safe and clean this is what i have come up with that has kept my computers clean safe and above all fast and not slowed down with loads of background task running
    AVAST ANTIVIRUS...........FREE
    CCLEANER ...........FREE
    SUPERAntiSpyware .........FREE
    Malwarebytes ...........FREE

You can get all of these from http://www.filehippo.com/
    or go to there individual sites.
    I have been using filehippo.com for many many years now and it is my favorite site for freeware every thing i have ever kneaded a have be able to get there.
    i wanted to share this information with anybody that kneads it as i remember when i was starting out with computers and it was a nightmare and you dont really have to spend loads of money. This stuff is FREE and it WORKS REALLY WELL.

11. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

I have been watching that ridiculous post. Thank you ddp and aldan for keeping the forum nice and clean.

My best regards.

12. aldan

aldan Active member

good choices.i use microsoft security essentials now for my antivirus,but the others are a fixture on my machine.

13. 2dogsfighting71

2dogsfighting71 Regular member

[/quote]

good choices.i use microsoft security essentials now for my antivirus,but the others are a fixture on my machine.[/quote]

I use MSE too.
    I did have McAfee but I was advised to un-install it with a removal tool because your pc will not remove all of it using the normal method. Same applies to Norton.

14. Vato

Vato Regular member

You are aware there is a new version of spybot search and destroy right?!!?
    Seems to be pretty good. I have been using it resently and seems to do the job well.
    Anyone have any comments on this?
    I have a mixture of these programs on my computer.
    Spybot Search and Destroy 2.0
    Malwarebytes
    McAffe antivirus
    MS Security essentials

Have had no problems whatsoever.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

had a problem between new version of spybot & ebay. took new version off & put old version back on & no problem with ebay.

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Thought the topic was about keeping the comp fast & trouble free,just how many real time scanners do some of you need

17. aldan

aldan Active member

all of em man.lol.

18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

19. Vato

Vato Regular member

I forgot to mention that Microsoft Security essential got taken off.
    I only have McAfee antivirus installed only.

I did install it to see if it worked (and it did for a while but took it off after other people said it clashed sometimes).
    Still I am kind of skeptic about having McAfee installed as I heard many mixed reports.
    Long time ago (like 10 years ago or more) I had McAfee installed and it made my computer run so slow. But these days it's OK nothing lags and I have come accross no problems. I guess I am not doing crap to my computer or installing S#*t like a lot of people do and then blame their antivirus when it goes nuts.
    Also it came free with my laptop and the lisence registered till 2015 so it's worth keeping it.
    Used to use Kaspersky Antivirus but the license price is kinda steep for my liking.

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have used Avira for a very long time and love it.
    The newest version has compatibility problems with some of the other software I have so, I have switched to Avast and so far have had no problems and seems to be doing an outstanding job.
    But then, I have so much other blocking, that the anti-virus is secondary anyway... lol
    I have found that McAfee and Norton have gotten a little too big for their britches.... I like to have one firewall, one AntiVirus, one antiSpyware, one antiMalware etc... Not One fat guy trying to do it all... Just my Humble opinion..

2oG