AfterDawn: Tech news

Steve Ballmer trashes Android, iOS

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 15 Nov 2012 8:53 User comments (15)

Steve Ballmer trashes Android, iOS Not one to make friends, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has attacked both Android and iOS today.
When speaking about Android, Ballmer called the mobile OS' ecosystem "wild and uncontrolled" and very susceptible to malware.

For iOS, Ballmer called Apple's ecosystem "high-priced" and "highly controlled." He then noted that internationally, iPhones can cost up to $1000, a ridiculous price.

The CEO says he believes Microsoft can be successful with Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, mixing the good of both superstar operating systems but working closely with developers and "doing it right."

Testing one of the company's phones, he exclaimed "Wow, it just works!" and then took a jab at Apple's iOS 6 Maps debacle.

TC has the audio here:

Previous Next  

15 user comments

115.11.2012 21:31

"When speaking about Android, Ballmer called the mobile OS' ecosystem "wild and uncontrolled" and very susceptible to malware.

For iOS, Ballmer called Apple's ecosystem "high-priced" and "highly controlled."

So windows mobile is secure and uncontrolled, or wild and controlled or...? I guess if you can't compete with them, talk trash about them.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Nov 2012 @ 9:35

215.11.2012 22:41

The thing about it is dumb people will believe him. Look at all the wholes in wondows and all he patches they come out with winods 7 just got 12 security updates yesterday. so what does that tell you ?

315.11.2012 23:04

So why not have the best of both worlds have one ecosystem that is controlled and closed ie apple or windows store and then also give others the ability to open stores closed or not. That will give people the best of both worlds on one phone.

415.11.2012 23:10

Originally posted by chefdamo:
Look at all the wholes in wondows and all he patches they come out with winods 7 just got 12 security updates yesterday. so what does that tell you ?

given that majority of the users have windows OS, it is normal that it would be susceptible to frequent attacks; therefore, doing security updates frequently is actually a good thing, and in this regard, i do believe MS does the best.
on the other hand, no mobile OSs (including win8) are secure as of now; i would never do a bank/CC transaction via my cell phone.
android uncontrolled? agree.
apple overpriced? agree.
winRT tablet overpriced? agree.

516.11.2012 01:24

I see we have a case here of the "pot calling the kettle black".

616.11.2012 08:57

Quote:
apple overpriced? agree.
Spot on. Especially about never using your cell do to transactions. That would just be plain dumb, and open ticket to any sub-par hacker with a cell or mobile device to read out transactions from you don't know where; just waiting, reading your device as you put in your password/pin code to validate your purchase (or worst you have it pre-saved on your cell already) and them walking away with full access to your accounts. They can't even 100% secure online credit card purchases are yours yet banks and creditors would make the world believe transactions through cellular devices are secure based on convenience. Pathetic.

716.11.2012 13:49
SmaryJerry
Unverified new user

The fact applications don't just run on any operating system still boggles my mind. There needs to be universal compatability to run applcations on all OS's. It's not like their aren't emulators available for operating systems that let you run all other OS apps already. That would take working together though and won't ever come without some sort of FCC regulation since APple is so profitable by taking 30% of the profits of every app they get installed. Imagine if every program you ran on windows, microsoft tacked on 30% and banked the cash themselves. That would be seem ludicrous but some how Apple manages to pull it off simply because they are "pretty."

816.11.2012 14:30

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:
apple overpriced? agree.
Spot on. Especially about never using your cell do to transactions. That would just be plain dumb, and open ticket to any sub-par hacker with a cell or mobile device to read out transactions from you don't know where; just waiting, reading your device as you put in your password/pin code to validate your purchase (or worst you have it pre-saved on your cell already) and them walking away with full access to your accounts. They can't even 100% secure online credit card purchases are yours yet banks and creditors would make the world believe transactions through cellular devices are secure based on convenience. Pathetic.
Oh man I sooooo agree.

Wouldn't touch NFC with a 10-foot pole.

916.11.2012 14:41

Ok that was hilarious I'd like to pick apart some of this guys words.

When speaking about Android, Ballmer called the mobile OS' ecosystem "wild and uncontrolled" and very susceptible to malware.

***Thanks for the compliment Ballmer, it's always been known the most popular, not the easiest are the OS's that are malware targets. And wild is fine by me, things evolve much quicker in the wild.

For iOS, Ballmer called Apple's ecosystem "high-priced" and "highly controlled." He then noted that internationally, iPhones can cost up to $1000, a ridiculous price.

***I'd like to ask where he got that price from, because some 3rd world areas of the world you'd probably still pay $100 for a nokia brick phone. So a grand for a iPhone in some middle eastern countries isn't bad.

Testing one of the company's phones, he exclaimed "Wow, it just works!" and then took a jab at Apple's iOS 6 Maps debacle.

**What I have to believe is his initial response was one of genuine surprise, or perhaps his first time holding a celphone.

@SmaryJerry there are several, some have been around for decades. Java for instance. But when writing software for all those different screen sizes ad hardware/OS constraints it limits the complexity of the apps. And yeah I agree the Store is they're way to copy apples design. It'll be interesting to see how androids openness pulls in more and more devs.

1016.11.2012 14:54

What a douche bag, I agree with Justoneguy, can't beat so trash them, he should av gone the whole nine yards and started stamping his feet saying "I hate them, I hate them"
Lol

1116.11.2012 19:30

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:
apple overpriced? agree.
Oh man I sooooo agree.

Wouldn't touch NFC with a 10-foot pole.
NFC is great, it's not that bad just goto an eftpos machine and you have to hold it for 2 seconds then it's done, no keypress etc.

The least secure and easiest way for your card to be scammed is giving details over the phone or handing your card to someone at a store, they can swipe your CC in a machine have a full copy of the strip and numbers and do it right in front of your face you wouldn't even know.

Fraud cops say CC themselves are the easiest things to copy and really shouldn't be handed out or used due to that.

With NFC at least you have some protection when something is processed as it's not exactly a swipe and go you have to hold it for a bit and then things are checked first then processed.

On a mobile you can turn off the NFC so it doesn't work at all.

1218.11.2012 21:58

Originally posted by Qliphah:
I'd like to ask where he got that price from, because some 3rd world areas of the world you'd probably still pay $100 for a nokia brick phone. So a grand for a iPhone in some middle eastern countries isn't bad.

kidding me or what? in india, the cost of the iphone5 16 GB is ~US$1100. ballmer is absolutely right here.

and FYI, nokia phones are not that bad as you think. my nokia n8, despite some limitations because of outdated OS (symbian), serves OK. you get a good cell camera, complimentary quickoffice, and,...included nokia map that does not make a mess unlike iOS map.

i do agree though that MS CEO's statement is a plain exaggeration.

1319.11.2012 08:20

Originally posted by mukhis:
Originally posted by Qliphah:
I'd like to ask where he got that price from, because some 3rd world areas of the world you'd probably still pay $100 for a nokia brick phone. So a grand for a iPhone in some middle eastern countries isn't bad.

kidding me or what? in india, the cost of the iphone5 16 GB is ~US$1100. ballmer is absolutely right here.

Are u kiddin me or what, in india the i5 16gb costs 45,500 rupees which is about $820usd by today's exchange rate, when here in the uk they r about $840usd, they r getting a good deal!!

1419.11.2012 10:10

Originally posted by xboxd00d:
Are u kiddin me or what, in india the i5 16gb costs 45,500 rupees which is about $820usd by today's exchange rate, when here in the uk they r about $840usd, they r getting a good deal!!

yes, airtel sells for INR 45500 but i saw the price in naaptol. it does not matter anyway, it is still OVERPRICED. funny to know that you think US$820 is a DEAL compared to US$840; the difference is virtually nothing considering higher value of UK currency, specially when you are paying close to US$1000.
well, for isheeps, it should be a deal, i agree.

1520.11.2012 00:12

And windows isnt riddled with bugs and vulnerabilities?
Nonsense.

Ballmer is an incompetent blowhard it has always been my view.
He fires the one guy who probably knows more than anyone.

Sinofsky probably told him windows 8 wasnt ready but they released it anyway just like they did with Vista.

Microsoft are has-beens - they are now pursuing an already captured market - Android has 90% market share in China - Microsofts days as top dog are numbered - Apple is King.

Steve Ballmer should retire and like the miraculous job Steve Jobs did when he returned to Apple so should Bill Gates as he is probably the only one who could rescue Microsoft!!!

Steve Ballmaer has a big mouth and a small c***
We have so many of these in business and we know as Dilbert once said - Managers are natures way of removing morons from the productive cycle and in 40 years of IT and probably 50 jobs i can honestly say i have only had 3 good managers in that time and all came from a working I.T. background not some Degreee in sociology or business management!!!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive