AfterDawn: Tech news

Wii U Basic only has 3GB of space for your downloads

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 15 Nov 2012 9:50 User comments (12)

Wii U Basic only has 3GB of space for your downloads

Although the basic model of the Wii U has 8GB of internal storage, it appears that only 3GB is free for your game downloads.
The rest of the space is taken up by pre-loaded data that comes with the system.

Tom's reformatted the system and were met with just 7.2GB of available space in total, with 4.2GB used by the software.

The remaining space is not acceptable, as even NintendoLand is 3.2GB.

Buyers of the Deluxe Edition have much more room, with 25GB of available capacity from their 32GB drive.

Luckily, you can use memory cards and external hard drives up to 2TB to add room if you need it.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

115.11.2012 21:58

lol less than half. I thought the owners of the low capacity surface got screwed.

216.11.2012 01:25

Historically, generic external storage has always been cheaper than the upgraded internal storage provided by console manufacturers anyway.

316.11.2012 03:42

At least Nintendo is not forcing you to buy there hard drives or memory cards, poke at Sony and Microsoft. Who would buy the bottom tier Wii U when the next one up is $50.00 more and I think it comes with more stuff besides the bump in disk space. People want the next gen consoles to basically be as cheap, if not cheaper then last gen hardware. To do that they will not be able to give you 1TB of space and maintain the price point, at least not for now.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 3:43

416.11.2012 07:15

"Who would buy the bottom tier Wii U when the next one up is $50.00 more...."
I'm thinking mostly technologically naive parents, or young people who are also too naive to know. And, IF I were to buy one (Which I'm not), me.
"Luckily, you can use memory cards and external hard drives up to 2TB to add room if you need it."
And I'd assume that is good enough? I'm older, and remember when floppy disks were the standard, and CDR was expensive and AMAZING! People with mindsets like mine will probably be right along with those with flat wallets this year, "trying" to get their kids what they want for the holidays. And, most likely (as MY parents did), failing. I could be wrong though, as I will be shopping soberly, even as I post drunkenly. :)

516.11.2012 14:15

Mr_Bill06: Microsoft has changed their policy for the xbox. You can now use any usb thumb drive.

616.11.2012 14:23

Unfortunately this is a great scheme to get people to buy 2 versions of the same damn console.

When it releases this xmas there will be a run on them, just like the last Wii, and it took years...literally YEARS to get stock to stabilize. I'm sure nintendo will have slightly more of the cheaper U's so the truly desperate will have to buy that one then months later get the one they wanted.

What they should have done is released 1 console. $50 is not a price break it's the price of a game. And the differences between the 2 versions show that. 25Gb storage is pathetic, ooh it comes in black, maybe a extra controller? pathetic. Whoever at Nintendo thought that anybody would be torn between the 2 needs to be fired.

716.11.2012 16:51

Originally posted by Qliphah:
Unfortunately this is a great scheme to get people to buy 2 versions of the same damn console.

When it releases this xmas there will be a run on them, just like the last Wii, and it took years...literally YEARS to get stock to stabilize. I'm sure nintendo will have slightly more of the cheaper U's so the truly desperate will have to buy that one then months later get the one they wanted.

What they should have done is released 1 console. $50 is not a price break it's the price of a game. And the differences between the 2 versions show that. 25Gb storage is pathetic, ooh it comes in black, maybe a extra controller? pathetic. Whoever at Nintendo thought that anybody would be torn between the 2 needs to be fired.
I hate when the fanboys come out in droves... The 360 was in short supply, as was the PS3. The original 360 came in 2 versions, one with NO HDD at all! The PS3 came in different varieties at launch. I don't see the big deal.

816.11.2012 18:28

Originally posted by 8686:
Mr_Bill06: Microsoft has changed their policy for the xbox. You can now use any usb thumb drive.

But nothing higher than a measly 4GB.

917.11.2012 02:19

You know what is worse

Nintendo announced today that the tvII service wont be online until december and no blu-ray playback kinda sucks when the console has a blu-ray drive

1017.11.2012 23:42

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
You know what is worse

Nintendo announced today that the tvII service wont be online until december and no blu-ray playback kinda sucks when the console has a blu-ray drive
Adding Blu-Ray/DVD Playback would have increased the cost of the console due to the high licensing fees to play such formats.

1118.11.2012 03:26

I heard the Wii U is using a different type of media custom made for the Wii U. Now I am not sure if it's a modified Blu-ray rom and disc or what it is? The disc is also suppose to be a max size of 25gb. Now maybe if and when you can mod the Wii U you may be able to get it to play Blu-ray just like the Wii could with DVD. That will only happen if the Wii U does indeed use Blu-ray. I think even though you could use the Wii to play DVDs it was recommended against using it as a DVD player.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Nov 2012 @ 3:28

1219.11.2012 13:39

Originally posted by SProdigy:

I hate when the fanboys come out in droves... The 360 was in short supply, as was the PS3. The original 360 came in 2 versions, one with NO HDD at all! The PS3 came in different varieties at launch. I don't see the big deal.
Day 1, both version of the Wii U sold out. I stand by my statement.

My next prediction is that limited stock, mere weeks before christmas, will be available. Then no stock continuing next year, until next christmas a miraculous stock appears to only sell out again.

Nintendos business strategy isn't to sell you something you want, it's to make you want something you can't buy. Speaking as a Wii owner myself, I bought it because it was rare and I'd heard what it could do. Haven't even turned it on in 2 years.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Nov 2012 @ 1:47

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive