AfterDawn: Tech news

Some old favorites top RIAA's latest 'Notorious' piracy sites

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 15 Nov 2012 10:13 User comments (20)

Some old favorites top RIAA's latest 'Notorious' piracy sites

As they do annually, the RIAA has released their latest list of "notorious" piracy sites.
The list is sent to the Office of the United States Trade Representative and includes large piracy sites and also "accomplice" sites that help users access unauthorized content more easily.

"We want to take a moment to reflect on the fact that thanks in large part to the efforts of the U.S. government in highlighting illicit practices, some of the notorious markets that we identified in last year's submission no longer feature in this filing," added Neil Turkewitz of the RIAA. Some of those names included Megaupload and Demonoid, which is struggling to re-open after being taken down over 3 months ago.

Many fan favorites remained on the list, most notably The Pirate Bay, Iso Hunt, Kickass Torrents, Torrentz, BitSnoop, SumoTorrent, Torrenthound, BTMon, ExtraTorrent, Fenopy, LimeTorrents and TorrentReactor.

Additionally, the RIAA is looking into The Pirate Bay's VPN: "In August 2012, it was reported that The Pirate Bay had launched a new ad-supported VPN service, PrivitizeVPN, the purpose of which is to enable users to 'cloak' their IP address when using file-sharing services to make enforcement more difficult. This service is in its early stage and usage is being monitored."

Canada, Mexico and Spain were once again dubbed "Top Priority Countries," while the U.S. was rated the best for anti-piracy and copyright enforcement.

Previous Next  

20 user comments

116.11.2012 00:18

"Fans" don't use Pirate Bay, Isohunt or KAT. Fans are people who appreciate and respect artistic work. You are not a fan of your local coffee shop if you walk out with the coffee and don't pay. Piracy is a significant contributor to the worldwide recession. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says that musicians wages are down 45% since p2p technology arrived. US Home video sales (DVD, BluRay, PayTV, VOD, Streaming) are down 25% to $18.5B in 2011 from $25B in 2006.
The first BitTorrent search engines debuted in 2004. Recorded music is down worldwide from $27B in 1999 (Napster) to $15B in 2011. Video Game (console & PC) revenue is down 13% from 2007. Those are real jobs lost that are not coming back until the public realizes that these are your friends and neighbors whose careers are being destroyed by lack of copyright enforcement. Who is destroying these industries? ISPs who ignore the law 17 USC 512 (i) and do not terminate repeat infringers. US Telecom makes >$400B a year, creative industries less than <$80B a year. Verizon $120B a year, Viacom (CBS, MTV & Paramount Pictures) $14B a year, Warner Music Group $2.4B a year.

216.11.2012 00:56

a) YOU do not define the English language. "Fan" is short for fanatic, you know.

b) Your argument that piracy is a significant contributor to the global recession is nowhere near well-established. Considering that regular P2P users actually buy roughly 50% more content than those who don't use P2P, your argument isn't even solid re: content providers.

c) If I walk into a coffee shop and duplicate a cup of coffee, where does that leave your metaphor..? lol

d) Would you like to explain to us how "Big Media" utterly failing to properly embrace digital distribution DIDN'T contribute to many, if not most, of their current woes?

Edit --> Wonderful discussion of a report by the NPD group, which shows the percentage of P2P users buying content. What's amusing is that the NPD group, and the RIAA/MPAA quoting them, simply didn't get the math right, using their own numbers =3 ...

And the flacks and shills wonder why no one listens to them.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 1:15

316.11.2012 01:22

Originally posted by ethicalfan:
"Fans" don't use Pirate Bay, Isohunt or KAT. Fans are people who appreciate and respect artistic work. You are not a fan of your local coffee shop if you walk out with the coffee and don't pay. Piracy is a significant contributor to the worldwide recession. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says that musicians wages are down 45% since p2p technology arrived. US Home video sales (DVD, BluRay, PayTV, VOD, Streaming) are down 25% to $18.5B in 2011 from $25B in 2006.
The first BitTorrent search engines debuted in 2004. Recorded music is down worldwide from $27B in 1999 (Napster) to $15B in 2011. Video Game (console & PC) revenue is down 13% from 2007. Those are real jobs lost that are not coming back until the public realizes that these are your friends and neighbors whose careers are being destroyed by lack of copyright enforcement. Who is destroying these industries? ISPs who ignore the law 17 USC 512 (i) and do not terminate repeat infringers. US Telecom makes >$400B a year, creative industries less than <$80B a year. Verizon $120B a year, Viacom (CBS, MTV & Paramount Pictures) $14B a year, Warner Music Group $2.4B a year.

NONSENSE............your view is NONSENSE!

You're duped into their "glass half empty" mentality where they seemingly have proven a negative to you. Ummm..........sorry...........can't prove negatives. They are merely speculating about their unrealistic and seriously biased approach to an arbitrary number of how much they think they lose to piracy to shun people like gullible you into not pirating anything. I pirate, sure but possess a shitstorm of blu-rays and dvds. As for music, nah, I don't buy anything because the artist MAKES MONEY FROM TOURING for the most part. No CD purchased or not will every weigh my decision to go see them live. I will simply go see them if I like them..........PERIOD.

You best check that tone before ranting about something you may know a little about whilst you close your mind to the other scenarios and realities.

416.11.2012 02:23

Actually i don't use iso hunt at all because of there disgusting lack of keeping adult entertainment away from kids

Na just kidding i really dont care at all because i use creative commons to skirt the riaa

516.11.2012 03:46

"Piracy is a significant contributor to the worldwide recession"

Please read this link:

http://www.geekosystem.com/bittorrent-box-office-study/
or http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f17/t000113.html

The above links pretain to moving pictures and belie MPAA propangada.

Your facts are indeed ill-informed at best, conjecture at the worse. All this time I thought thieves on Wall Steet, repackaging bad paper was the cause...did copying music cause the housing market to collapse ?

Ever since Ronald Rayguns attained office the worker has increased productivity 30% while gaining 3 % increase in wages. And labor unions have lost half their members.

As live performances go, the promoter of the performance is supposed to fill a form with titles performed, attendance and send this with royalty payment to ASCAP/BMI so the owners of the copyright are compensated.

616.11.2012 04:03

Wow all my favs are on the list I wonder what the silly season is going to bring us in law suits. One of the aspects are that no matter how many you take down more will pop up.

716.11.2012 07:06

Google can be your friend. Nice that you pulled the data you pulled out of your azz because if you did a little more digging, you would see the U.S. motion picture industry pulled in 65billion in 07. However, over seas, it was less, but box office revenue was UP, WAY UP all over except the use who had a modest gain of 7% while others had as much as 55%. The money has to be going somewhere and it's not the artists, it's the backers of those artists, so, which artistic talent are you rooting for? Same with the auto industry. Cars are not built on american soil but they try to guilt us to "buy american". It's not the line worker, parts supplier or die maker who's getting the money in the U.S., it's the guys who live in 10k square foot homes in Bloomingfield hills MI, Grosse Point MI or Auburn Hills who's making the money. So, Nice try but a 5th grader can figure out in about 5 minutes that the day the industry got 90% of monies from the works of the performers was the day people decided they were not going to support the industry.

816.11.2012 08:40

So yea... my penny... I don't buy music, does that make me a thief? Well... I don't pirate music either, the most I get from music is off my local radio stations. With all the fuss from RIAA/MPAA I just can't be bothered with music these days, unless its from indi bands that aren't getting their hard earned $ stolen from them by the RIAA, and host their content on their websites. And even then, I just can't be bothered because all this annoying discussion has done has personally made me frustrated with even enjoying music these days.

I wonder when music was first created if they would roll over laughing or dying if they knew in the future that listening to music would one day be a CRIME! For thousands of years afterward it wasn't, and even when the internet first came out, for nearly 10 years it wasn't until the RIAA rolled up a crap storm about losing $ on their bottom line they could never and will never actually calculate accurately.

Now I will admit to pirating TV shows, as where I live my tv options are very limited (even through Satellite) and purchasing American channels are restricted. I don't necessarily believe I have a right to steal these shows, but nor do I see someone pounding on my doorstep demanding I stop either. However, I only do it with shows I can't access through my PSN account, cable box, or Netflix. But again people like ethicalfan would still likely label me and others like me a thief. Again looking back at the dawn of the age where street performers would do it just for recognition and a volunteered coin would be welcomed as valued, would they be reeling knowing it was a crime to watch someone perform?

Which brings me to my last point. I understand people do whatever it is they do to make $. However when you are raking in hundreds of thousands - millions a year from your profession from all sources and equity; how do you justify being angry at the fans who can't afford it but wish to enjoy it like everyone else and then label them criminals for doing so? That's like charging a baby for loving a song the parents bought for themselves, but because the kid didn't pay his $ worth into it they are criminals.

OR my personal favorite, recording a birthday party in the movie theater where the camera didn't ever focus on the movie but the guests themselves then being criminally charged. Oh sure charges were dropped, after a day spent in jail and public outcry demanded she be released; but still, for charges to even be brought up was a crime in itself.

This world just gets sadder by the day, no wonder my primary source of entertainment is either video games, or reading the news.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 8:52

916.11.2012 09:21

This guy is all over the place. He posted the same stuff on Techdirt and Torrentfreak, but he contradicts himself and never responds to anyone that calls him out on his BS. Sounds like a bot.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 9:23

1016.11.2012 10:15

Well, probably not a bot, per se, but just a silly propaganda flack copy-pasting his way across P2P sites. When has the MAFIAA not depended on propaganda, rather than facts..?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 10:15

1116.11.2012 13:42

Ethicalfan: Do you work for "them" spouting all their propoganda.

1216.11.2012 13:45

I think that's pretty obvious, homes.

1316.11.2012 14:28

Originally posted by coachop:
Ethicalfan: Do you work for "them" spouting all their propoganda.
I'm guessing yes......'cause anyone with that level of ethics is rarely found on a site like AD.

1416.11.2012 15:50
Emmanuel_Goldstein
Unverified new user

But you are a fan if you love their coffee so much that you try to COPY their recipe in case they decide to close shop where you live or sell out to a company that doesn't make the coffee the same way.

1516.11.2012 16:12

@ ethicalfan:
Pure MPAA/RIAA Propaganda at his best. Thx to last "elections" (Hollywood) lost power in Washington:
http://www.1337.com/forums/showthread.p...s-from-Congress

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 4:13

1616.11.2012 20:00

if it wasn't for file-sharers the world would be such a better place filled with rainbows and cupcakes and puppies. i love how parents spend the first 5-7 years teaching their children to share and the next 100 society teaches em its bad.

also downloaded the mumford & sons bought the album next day, downloaded the mars volta new album bought it the following friday. i buy lots of albums after hearing from a 0-day mp3 site and liking it. now if only i could get away from itunes bullshit and get it straight from some of these artists(i understand some bands use itunes to get away from the overhead of a website/self-distribution). also you can't pirate live shows at least not the experience.

1716.11.2012 20:50

You must be a MPAA/RIAA lackie!

1818.11.2012 04:35

paying a***oles like Tom Cruise 15 million dollars to make a movie can also help contribute to destroying movie business workers careers. Also I don't see how musicians can be feeling the effects of piracy on their lives. You only have to watch MTV cribs to see that most of them have money to burn

1919.11.2012 23:54

Originally posted by hearme0:

NONSENSE............your view is NONSENSE!

You're duped into their "glass half empty" mentality where they seemingly have proven a negative to you. Ummm..........sorry...........can't prove negatives. They are merely speculating about their unrealistic and seriously biased approach to an arbitrary number of how much they think they lose to piracy to shun people like gullible you into not pirating anything. I pirate, sure but possess a shitstorm of blu-rays and dvds. As for music, nah, I don't buy anything because the artist MAKES MONEY FROM TOURING for the most part. No CD purchased or not will every weigh my decision to go see them live. I will simply go see them if I like them..........PERIOD.

You best check that tone before ranting about something you may know a little about whilst you close your mind to the other scenarios and realities.

Yeah they make money pretty much from touring and merchandise sales because most record comapnies take nearly all of the record sales revenue as payback for upfront fees, loans, signing contracts, etc.

I had a short life in the music entertainment industry, around 5 years.

2020.11.2012 15:28

Quote:
US Home video sales (DVD, BluRay, PayTV, VOD, Streaming) are down 25% to $18.5B in 2011 from $25B in 2006.
The first BitTorrent search engines debuted in 2004. Recorded music is down worldwide from $27B in 1999 (Napster) to $15B in 2011. Video Game (console & PC) revenue is down 13% from 2007.
I love how all these stats compare when the economy was rocking to a point when it was sucking. You mean to say that, when the economy is good and people are flush with cash, they spend more? That's amazing!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive