AfterDawn: Tech news

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 brings in over $500 million in first 24 hours

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 16 Nov 2012 11:17 User comments (9)

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 brings in over $500 million in first 24 hours

Handily beating out Halo 4 as the biggest entertainment launch of the year.
Activision has announced today that their blockbuster hit Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 has brought in $500 million in sales in the first 24 hours, according to retail customer sell-through estimates from Chart-Track.

That figure makes it easily the biggest launch of the year, beating out Halo 4's $220 million sell-through in the first 24 hours just last week.

"With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row," added Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. "Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars," the two most successful movie franchises of all time. Given the challenged macro-economic environment, we remain cautious about the balance of 2012 and 2013."

The game launched on November 13th, and is the fourth Call of Duty in a row to set a new entertainment launch record.

Previous Next  

9 user comments

116.11.2012 14:24

Still absolutely amazed that this lame ass franchise is still so sought after but...........people are people and they are generally naive, dumb and easily amused.

216.11.2012 14:55

Originally posted by hearme0:
Still absolutely amazed that this lame ass franchise is still so sought after but...........people are people and they are generally naive, dumb and easily amused.
Some reviewers say its the true successor to the cod 4 days.

Still shocked that one game rakes in this much so easily, but there are still hungry children on thanksgiving day with not enough food to go around. No wonder america is considered so obese..

316.11.2012 20:04

I will still say that for Halo only being on the 360 it did very well. COD is what on PC, PS3, 360, 3DS?, and will be on the Wii U. I went to the forums and still people posting about issues with lag and so on, I am happy I didn't get the game on launch. I will wait a few months and see what people are saying about it then.I may purchase it if people are still saying the online is finally fun again.

416.11.2012 20:29

Originally posted by Mr_Bill06:
I will still say that for Halo only being on the 360 it did very well. COD is what on PC, PS3, 360, 3DS?, and will be on the Wii U. I went to the forums and still people posting about issues with lag and so on, I am happy I didn't get the game on launch. I will wait a few months and see what people are saying about it then.I may purchase it if people are still saying the online is finally fun again.
and ps vita...which got a horrid review..and this years cod blows .

516.11.2012 23:44

Originally posted by user473:
and ps vita...which got a horrid review..and this years cod blows .
Going from the forum it's the same of everything if not worse. Guess that's what happens when they just want money instead of making a well polished game. Think I will save my money and pick it up if it goes on sale for a nice price. To be honest it does look fun and watching videos on YouTube has really gotten me wanting to play it. Might even rent it and see how it is just might disappoint me so much I wont ever bother picking it up.

619.11.2012 01:11

Game is a dam joke it loads fine but attempt at starting campaign it crashes including zombie on a 360,ps3's having same issue as is pc's by the look of it at least halo 4 works un frak'n believable

719.11.2012 04:53

Yeah Halo has always been great even the online MP. Not a big Halo player any more, Halo 2 was my favorite MP game years ago. I have never had a moment in Halo I felt handicapped or robbed by the lag compensation. Halo 3 I didn't care for and stopped playing ever since, last I can remember Halo 3 MP worked great.

819.11.2012 23:36

Originally posted by plutonash:
Originally posted by hearme0:
Some reviewers say its the true successor to the cod 4 days.

Still shocked that one game rakes in this much so easily, but there are still hungry children on thanksgiving day with not enough food to go around. No wonder america is considered so obese..

Oxymoron

920.11.2012 06:56

Actually this years COD would be pretty good if it wasn't so damn broken. It hangs up in the lobby right b4 it launches the match frequently and the constant lag is horrific.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive