AfterDawn: Tech news

HTC bashes reports of Apple settlement estimates

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 20 Nov 2012 9:17 User comments (4)

HTC bashes reports of Apple settlement estimates Two weeks ago, Apple and HTC announced an end to their global patent war, agreeing to a 10-year licensing agreement.
Last week, Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu said industry sources told him Apple will get between $6-$8 for every HTC phone sold. Today, HTC has slammed that report, calling it outrageous.

"I think that these estimates are baseless and very, very wrong. It is a outrageous number, but I'm not going to comment anything on a specific number. I believe we have a very, very happy settlement and a good ending," said HTC CEO Peter Chou at a KDDI Corp product launch in Tokyo.

Neither company has disclosed the terms of the agreement which will have HTC pay royalties to license certain Apple patents related to smartphones for the next ten years.

Previous Next  

4 user comments

121.11.2012 01:08

Maybe a little misinformation from Apple to juice their falling stock? Hmmmmm, I guess we'd have to know the industry "sources" first though.

221.11.2012 08:07

For all we know the report was accurate and HTC just doesn't want people to know that they are giving money to Apple when they buy one of their phones.

321.11.2012 12:56

Originally posted by Justoneguy:
Maybe a little misinformation from Apple to juice their falling stock? Hmmmmm, I guess we'd have to know the industry "sources" first though.
This was my first thought too.

426.11.2012 11:25

It just 'erks' me that I'm paying Apple something in a third or fourth handed kind of way as it is.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive