AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung Galaxy Camera to reach Canada next month

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 25 Nov 2012 12:15 User comments (10)

Samsung Galaxy Camera to reach Canada next month

Samsung has announced that the extremely impressive Galaxy Camera will reach Canada on December 7th, with carrier-independent 3G.
The device has been available in the U.S. via AT&T since last week.

Galaxy Cameras offer Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, a 4.8-inch HD Super Clear LCD panel, a 1.4GHz quad-core processor and 16MP BSI CMOS sensor with 21x optical zoom. There is an HSPA+ chip for 3G, as well as the standard Wi-Fi.

Because the camera ships with Android, users have access to all 650,000 apps in the Google Play Store, as well.

Additionally, the Galaxy Camera "includes powerful manual controls with its Expert Mode, which allows for manual setting of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Smart Mode gives amateurs the tools of the pros, with Rich Tone HDR mode, Light Trace for 'light painting' photos and features like Best Face and Best Photo, which help users pick the best shot."

"The GALAXY Camera marks the next stage of evolution in the history of the camera and we are extremely excited to make it available to Canadian customers today," said Paul Brannen, Vice President, Enterprise Business Solutions at Samsung Canada. "Combining world class mobile and digital imaging technologies, The GALAXY Camera gives users the total freedom to take vivid, high quality pictures and videos and share them instantly through their favorite social networking sites or with family and friends without the restrictions of a conventional camera."

(Pic via Engadget)

Previous Next  

10 user comments

125.11.2012 12:55

But you can't make calls from it?

225.11.2012 20:42

With Skype or other VOIP, yes.

325.11.2012 20:56

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Any service for text messaging?

At $500, I don't understand why they just didn't give it phone capabilities. I feel like this is targeting a very small market otherwise.

425.11.2012 21:33

Quote:
At $500, I don't understand why they just didn't give it phone capabilities. I feel like this is targeting a very small market otherwise.
You nailed it on the dot! What target market were they even thinking about reaching? The camera specs are what you'd expect for a standard 16.1MP in fact the camera portion itself is similar to a Samsung DV300F. It can do 1080p but only at 30fps, shutter speed is the same as DV300F; the touch screen is better quality at least and it comes with a Quad-core proc, but then for the price they will be asking, you may as well get a Nexus 10, or Galaxy Note II.

Overall this idea is just meh.

525.11.2012 22:04

Originally posted by Mysttic:
then for the price they will be asking, you may as well get a Nexus 10, or Galaxy Note II.

i see your points but nexus 10 or galaxy note II cam PQ will never match that of a dedicated P&S like this like PQ of P&S never matches that of a D-SLR.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Nov 2012 @ 10:05

626.11.2012 15:44

As long as you have wi-fi/data connectivity, you can just get a free Google phone number.

727.11.2012 20:52

Originally posted by Morreale:
Originally posted by Bozobub:
Any service for text messaging?

I might as well be a phone for what features they have. With Skype on it, it can be used as a broadband video caller, so why the hell not?

827.11.2012 21:27

Haha, I actually thought you were joking initially but apparently not.

It's neat and people will buy it but it's obviously a bit of a gimmicky product and there's no need for it (although I don't really see the need for a separate point-and-shoot camera anymore, but this seems like the logical direction for them to take).

928.11.2012 01:55

Originally posted by cyprusrom:
As long as you have wi-fi/data connectivity, you can just get a free Google phone number.
Too many loops to jump through as a Canadian for the service.

Originally posted by Ripper:
Haha, I actually thought you were joking initially but apparently not.

It's neat and people will buy it but it's obviously a bit of a gimmicky product and there's no need for it (although I don't really see the need for a separate point-and-shoot camera anymore, but this seems like the logical direction for them to take).
Well I assumed the answer would be no, or through VoIP, but thought I'd press anyways... I've always wanted a phone with a camera similar to that of a point-and-shoot, or at least one with an optical zoom. The camera is probably the most used feature on my phone. I was excited with the Nokia 808 PureView but its too expensive and limited as a smartphone for me to consider. This Samsung fits even better, but with no real phone functionality and such a high price for an otherwise mediocre point-and-shoot is nothing but a disappointment.

Some phones have great cameras as they are, but a real optical zoom would be nice. Most do poorly in low light conditions. My HD2 had a great camera, despite being all hacked up with Android, but my current Galaxy Nexus is nothing but shit to say the least.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Nov 2012 @ 2:03

1028.11.2012 06:42

Quote:
This Samsung fits even better, but with no real phone functionality and such a high price for an otherwise mediocre point-and-shoot is nothing but a disappointment.
I think that is the crux of the matter really, phone or no phone.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive