AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft sold 750,000 Xbox 360 units over weekend

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Nov 2012 8:44 User comments (7)

Microsoft sold 750,000 Xbox 360 units over weekend Large discounts on bundles led to a huge day for the company.
Microsoft has announced today that they sold 750,000 Xbox 360 units in the U.S. on Black Friday and the following weekend.

The numbers are certainly impressive given that the Xbox is 7 years old and its sequel is expected to be released next year. However, the company sold 960,000 units last Black Friday weekend so year-over-year returns were obviously down.

Sony did not reveal PS3 sales, but Nintendo announced it had sold 400,000 Wii U during the week, along with 300,000 Wiis and 500,000 3DS/DS handhelds.

Previous Next  

7 user comments

127.11.2012 20:48

Funny as hell how the XBox 360 that is 7 years old, can still whip and stomp the Wii U's ass in sales!! LOL! Japanese really have to rethink their strategy when it comes to development of their systems if they expect to sell them...

227.11.2012 21:20

Originally posted by blueboy09:
Funny as hell how the XBox 360 that is 7 years old, can still whip and stomp the Wii U's ass in sales!! LOL! Japanese really have to rethink their strategy when it comes to development of their systems if they expect to sell them...
To be fair, wii u was nearly sold out of available stock. Never the less, impressive numbers.

327.11.2012 21:30

Originally posted by wolfniggr:
Originally posted by blueboy09:
To be fair, wii u was nearly sold out of available stock. Never the less, impressive numbers.
Also, most of the Xbox deals were at $200-$250 price points including games and Kinect.

428.11.2012 13:07

I decided to wait for Xmas and Canada's Boxing Day sales. I pre-ordered in the Wii-Mini due to rarity, whether or not it'll pay out later remains to be seen. I already have two PS3s so another 360 may pan out on my list, not sure how I feel about the Wii-U and I already own both 3DS and DS Lite. The VITA bundles weren't anything worth looking at considering the PS3 bundles, I'd be surprised if Sony didn't push a lot of their PS3s, but I can't see the VITA pushing too well because it wasn't aggressive enough towards the competition and themselves.

Honestly I dunno about anyone else, but Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals seemed like crap this year. I was looking forward to aggressive pricing on new technology maybe upgrading my PC but my expectations fell flat and disappointed.

528.11.2012 13:16

Originally posted by Mysttic:

Honestly I dunno about anyone else, but Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals seemed like crap this year. I was looking forward to aggressive pricing on new technology maybe upgrading my PC but my expectations fell flat and disappointed.
I noticed that, too. The main focus seemed to be on Bluray movies and flat screens. If you were in the market for a new tv, then this was a great opportunity to get one at a great price.

628.11.2012 16:34

Originally posted by wolfniggr:
Originally posted by Mysttic:

I noticed that, too. The main focus seemed to be on Bluray movies and flat screens. If you were in the market for a new tv, then this was a great opportunity to get one at a great price.
Anyone that buys into Black Friday anymore is a goof! Deals only START on BF and go down from there.........best time to buy new TV is not BF but in January as new models come out in Feb/March generally. And anyone that thinks waiting in a clusterfu*ked line at Bestbuy for hours to buy that 179.00 40" LED Toshiba is retarded as that offer was EVERYWHERE and will continue to be for quite some time. BF is no longer the "only" day. Seriously........how stupid are people before they learn their lesson?

Prices on BF are actually UP this year compared to last year and the only BF that was a true "only 1 day of the year" sale was like 5 years ago when the 299.00 P.O.S. laptop by Toshiba with Celeron proc was offered.

Anyone that buys into BF is clueless........kinda like anyone that buys into Overstock.com anymore is clueless as Overstock also has become nothing more than another Amazon.....with much much less stuff.

People need to wake up and smell the wool being pulled over their lazy eyes.

730.11.2012 06:53

Looks like Sony sold 525,000 ps3 consoles last week. It amazes me that even now, these systems are still selling well. I wonder if this will effect the release dates for both Sony and Microsoft's next console.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive