AfterDawn: Tech news

Nintendo announces Wii Mini for Canadian gamers

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Nov 2012 9:28 User comments (12)

Nintendo announces Wii Mini for Canadian gamers

The tiny console will sell for $99.
Six years after launch of the Wii and one week after the launch of the new Wii U, Nintendo has announced the Wii Mini, available to gamers to Canada.

The console will move to a new red and black colorway, keep the same top-loading disc drive, but completely remove Internet connectivity.

It is exclusive to Canada for the time being, but other regions are expected to see the Mini next year.

All buyers will receive the console, a sensor bar, red Wii MotionPlus controller and red nunchuk.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

127.11.2012 21:43

Exclusive to Canada? What is that?!

It's fugly and I'm not sure what they're getting at here. Drop the price of the old Wii instead?

227.11.2012 22:12

I read about ths earlier today. At first I thought it was a joke. After seeing it on Nintendo's website, I realized it was actually real. I'm surprised that the maple leafers are the test market for his. I would have thought they would test it in South America first.

327.11.2012 23:20

Sony's playbook is not the one you should be reading from, Nintendo! Bad! *Bops nose*

428.11.2012 02:10

I have a Wii, that I haven't touched in a couple years, or really ever, so I don't know much. I'm just going to assume that there isn't really much to do with internet connectivity on the regular Wii, so losing it isn't all that bad?

528.11.2012 06:15

This could sell like hot cakes in third world countries with poor internet penetration..IF sold at that price

628.11.2012 06:40

Quote:
I'm just going to assume that there isn't really much to do with internet connectivity on the regular Wii, so losing it isn't all that bad?
Well, software updates and you can install channels to add functionality - e.g. BBC iPlayer here in the UK, etc

728.11.2012 12:59

Quote:
Well, software updates and you can install channels to add functionality - e.g. BBC iPlayer here in the UK, etc v
I going to guess that if they are willing to ship this unit out at all, it means there won't be any software updates needed as they will drop support for Wii altogether. Any new titles that may come out will use the latest firmware, so this won't be an issue.

I still baffled as to why tho, and disappointed it didn't come bundled with a game. Even still despite owning a Wii I bought one for collectors sake. There's no telling or at least too early to tell whether or not this unit may have a higher value one day.

828.11.2012 16:28

'cause Canada is just a "mini" version of the U.S. right?????

Maybe in population but not size. How insulting is this to Canadians!

929.11.2012 16:45

-

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Nov 2012 @ 5:34

1029.11.2012 17:16

I agree with those people who are mentioned this above, I don't really see the point of releasing this in the developed economies. It seemed like it could be a smash hit in the developing economies. But beyond that I really don't see a point for the system. I really didn't follow the battle of the systems once everything was released but, it seems to me like once the Xbox 360 and PlayStation three became viable competitors Nintendo's system really kind of floundered.

It seems like they were the first to come to the market with the idea of motion-based gaming but then everyone else did it and did it better.

1129.11.2012 18:11

Quote:
this unit may have a higher value one day.
Oh undoubtedly when it doesn't do well in Canada and they either kill it off completely or ship it out to India it will increase exponentially in value.

1229.11.2012 19:14

This is just a shot in the dark but could they be testing the water for cheaper game systems around the world? I don't know if they have already done this but it is quite possible that we could see a cheaper version of the Nintendo DS and other Nintendo systems released around the world if this goes well

Again, this is just completed speculation and guessing on my part. I don't really see any other reason to release the system other than to market it to smaller developing economies.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive