AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony jumps to third in global smartphone sales

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Nov 2012 9:50 User comments (5)

Sony jumps to third in global smartphone sales

According to IDC, Sony has seen a strong comeback in the smartphone market.
In global sales, Sony moved into third place for the Q3 2012, jumping from sixth in the same quarter in 2011.

Despite the jump, the company's market share actually fell, from 5 percent to 4.8 percent as Samsung and Apple continued to crush the competition.

Samsung grew to 31.3 percent share, Apple increased to 14.6 percent and everyone else collapsed. Nokia fell from 13.6 percent to 3.4 percent, HTC fell to 4.6 percent from 10.3 percent and RIM dropped from 9.6 percent to 4.2 percent.

Sony has seen some success with its Xperia line of smartphones, mainly outside of the U.S., however, where it has received very little attention.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

127.11.2012 23:01

i find sony phones to be nice indeed. the only problem is when it comes to smartphone, people don't "think" about sony at all after the departure of standard music phones (sony ericsson).

228.11.2012 04:04

Mukhis..yes thats a good point, go in t any phone shop and it ain't sony that they try a promote

328.11.2012 13:54

They set themselves up for failure in the US by offering phones only on AT&T. They're excluding nearly 200 million potential buyers by leaving out the other 3 carriers.

Samsung sells multiple devices on all 4 carriers and some of the regional carriers and Apple sells iPhones on 3 of the 4 plus a couple regional players too. This is the reason they are far more successful. The Xperias aren't bad devices.

428.11.2012 15:12

I don't believe this at all!!!!!!!

HTC, Samsung and Apple are seemingly the leaders to me as I have NEVER EVER seen an Sony phone ever. Don't know anyone with one and I work full time as an IT pro and part time as a waiter so I'm not cooped up in an office or my house all the time. I see phones everywhere.

And moreover......according to Zeus....ATT is the only Sony phone carrier limiting them even more. Does anyone here know anyone with one of these????

529.11.2012 02:18

Quote:
mainly outside of the U.S., however, where it has received very little attention.
I believe the opposite meaning is intended. In English, the current sentence would mean the phone is being ignored globally, while quite popular in the US.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive