AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft: 40 million Windows 8 licenses already sold

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Nov 2012 9:16 User comments (8)

Microsoft: 40 million Windows 8 licenses already sold Since October 26th, Microsoft has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses.
The word comes via CFO Tam Reller who was discussing the operating system at the Credit Suisse Annual Tech Conference today.

In comparison to Windows 7, the new OS appears to be selling better. The previous OS moved 60 million copies in two months, compared to the 40 million in just one month for Win8.

Reller did not note sales figures for the Surface RT tablet.

What remains unclear, however, is what Microsoft considers as "sold." Some companies report direct sales to consumers (like Apple does) but others just report "sold" or "shipped" as the amount of units shipped to retailers or pre-installed on new computers.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

128.11.2012 01:34

It seems to be a solid OS. No reason to go with Win 7 right now that I can see. I think I understand what MS is trying to accomplish with these "tiles" and I must say, I like the idea. I wasn't too impressed with the Android tablets I saw. This could be a nice alternative. My jury is still out though, as it usually is until about SP1.

228.11.2012 13:54

Originally posted by cart0181:
It seems to be a solid OS. No reason to go with Win 7 right now that I can see. I think I understand what MS is trying to accomplish with these "tiles" and I must say, I like the idea. I wasn't too impressed with the Android tablets I saw. This could be a nice alternative. My jury is still out though, as it usually is until about SP1.
Don't see any reason to go with Windows 7? As a PC Gamer, Windows 8 is a step in the wrong direction...as far as I know. To be completely honest, I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but Steam and gaming companies in general are all unhappy with the direction Microsoft's taken.

But it's true, they do seem to be innovating, albeit exclusively in favor of the "average" computer user.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Nov 2012 @ 1:55

328.11.2012 22:59

G__ A_ F___! i will stick to windows xp -_-

429.11.2012 19:11

Originally posted by Notcow:
Originally posted by cart0181:
Don't see any reason to go with Windows 7? As a PC Gamer, Windows 8 is a step in the wrong direction...as far as I know. To be completely honest, I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but Steam and gaming companies in general are all unhappy with the direction Microsoft's taken.

But it's true, they do seem to be innovating, albeit exclusively in favor of the "average" computer user.
lock outs and stolen ad traffic id wager. W8 is sneaky i don't like it.

530.11.2012 08:52

The people who claim that Windows 8 is some sort of super closed system are fear mongers and nothing more. These people are also probably the same people that use Android, Windows Phone and iOS on a daily basis, all three of them being operating systems that even more closed than Windows 8 is.

You can still install traditional software on Windows 8 and in fact, you can even sell it on the Windows Store. There is no lockout on what you can and can't install. Yes, you can't install Metro/Modern UI apps without going through the Windows Store, but you know what? That makes sense since metro apps are designed for tablets first and foremost and Microsoft's design guidelines aren't any more or less restrictive than Apples or Google's.

As for people complaining about the interface; the world has been whining about Windows not changing for years and years, and when it finally does, they complain more. And amusingly enough, Mac OS/OS X and Linux have done just as little changing and people never seem to complain about it. Tell me, when is the last time Apple tried to innovate and get rid of the application bar? Right, never. It's been there for the last 28 years.

Windows 8 isn't perfect, but if you don't think it's a step in the right direction you need to wake up and take a look around. With all of the information that people have in their daily lives now, it's about time that interfaces start presenting it in a way that makes it easy to access and/or process. Live tiles have the potential to do that better than anything else right now and given time, companies will act on that potential.

630.11.2012 10:16

I'm an average user, not and IT expert, just using some simple games and office related aapplications. I installed w8, and got completely lost. It took me a while just to figure out how to get to an application. Lots of tiles, some people like them, I don't, is confusing; it's faster than w7, but in the end doen't matter because the number of clicks to go where you want is greater. I ended up re-installing w7. Simpler and to my taste, better.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Nov 2012 @ 10:17

730.11.2012 11:57

You can be sure most of those sales are going to be oem for system builders who are now sticking on 8 instead of 7 due to pricing.

As for IndigoAK comment regarding the osx bar, maybe apple didn't remove it because it does the job well, sort of like the windows task bar... oh wait.

On fondle slabs metro makes sense, but on a desktop it makes no sense what so ever as i can see.

Ive even had a few people looking to buy new machines and asking me if if it will be possible to remove 8 and its insane interface and put 7 on.

As for having an interface that can present information from multiple feeds, widgets / gadgets did this just fine and allowed people to have both a desktop and the information to hand, instead of splitting it off as some form of crazed alter ego.

Thanks but no thanks.

830.11.2012 13:43

Don't forget, Windows 7 is mostly no longer sold. It's end of year, and everybody is burning the last of their budgets, OEMs included, so this is when all the new PCs are ordered. However, most of these orders are probably "licensed" for Windows 8, because that's what is sold, and have Windows 7 installed with "Downgrade" rights.

Microsoft'ss marketing (another word for creative lying) department is saying 40 million units sold, but how many are shipped to end users? And I'd wager of those "40 million" at least 25-30 million are actually installed as Windows 7.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive