1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic questions about MAME and lightguns

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by wheelstb, Nov 28, 2012.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I want to play lightgun games on my computer it's my understanding that using MAME is the best way to do this, because it gives you more content to choose from.

This is a very basic question but I just want to make sure I know what's going on. Is it basically just emulation software that you load the games (ROMS or something similar) into?

I want to pick out a light gun that will work on an LCD TV and would be compatible with the PC and PS3. I have read a lot of information online. And although there are guns that say they are compatible with both of those devices, I see a lot of things saying that you cannot use the guns very well with an LCD TV or use the same gun with your PC and PS3. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

mame is basically arcade games on your pc using emulation and yes you load roms.some people have gone to extremes with mame and used it to build there own arcade cabinet run.

if the lightgun uses standard usb then probably with the right software you will be able to use it on pc.blu tooth dongles are suppose to work for wireless ps3 controllers on pc.

i actually havnt tryed ps3 lightgun or used a lightgun on an lcd tv.last ps gun i used was namco g-con gun on pointblank 3.i have limited experience in this area but i hope my information is helpful.

3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks for setting me straight. When I looked into this a lot of what I saw were people building it into a cabinet So I just wanted to be sure that it was a pretty straightforward approach to playing the games.