1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Folders are safe to compress in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by keebles, Dec 1, 2012.

1. keebles

keebles Regular member

I just installed windows 7 on my eee pc 900a(runs really smooth)(2gb ram, 16gb ssd). I am just wondering what folders can be compressed on the C: disc with out breaking the boot manager/os in order to save space. Dont want to have to reinstall everything after I just got it fine tuned. I still have 2.5gb free and just want to try to get a little more space to use.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

thanks, managed to gain a few GB back, now I have 4.28gb free. thanks again

4. attar

attar Senior member

Not immediately relevant, but since I noticed from previous threads that you use DVD Shrink,note that if you save the output to the c:\ root, you will find out that Explorer can't find the files there when you go to delete them.
    It's because Windows 7 won't allow you to write to areas that it decided are too dangerous.
    The file actually ends up here:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Older programs aren't aware of this and although you can run DVD Shrink again and it will allow you to open the file from the "C:\" root, it's actually W7 that's letting it do so.
    I understand that some users of Adobe software find the free space on the HDD disappearing because of this behaviour.

5. snotboy1

snotboy1 Member

-------------------------
    YOU are fighting a losing battle, buy a sata hdd for your files, keep the os on the ssd,
    you will only end up pulling your hair out tring to save disk space
    good luck