AfterDawn: Tech news

Streaming Netflix? You are likely using a PS3 to do so

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Dec 2012 10:53 User comments (19)

Streaming Netflix? You are likely using a PS3 to do so Netflix and Sony jointly announced today that the PS3 is the most popular device for streaming Netflix content.
The statistic took into account all gaming consoles and set-top boxes, totaling in the hundreds, that can stream the company's 25,000-strong video catalog.

"PS3 is our largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing, and this year, at times, even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our No. 1 platform overall," noted Reed Hastings, Netflix CEO. "PS3 is a natural fit for Netflix in terms of developing and first deploying our most advanced features. We can transparently update our application with new features on a daily basis, and through the free PlayStation Network, people around the world can sign up for Netflix directly from their PS3."

The PS3 was the first to offer Netflix in full HD (1080p) with 5.1 surround sound.

Added Jack Tretton, CEO and President of SCEA: "The PlayStation and Netflix communities both share a strong passion for high quality entertainment. Netflix provides a fantastic experience for watching TV shows and movies on PS3, and our joint development will continue to produce innovations for our customers that further demonstrate PS3 as the true home for entertainment in the living room."

Previous Next  

19 user comments

15.12.2012 01:48

Nope I use my Wii instead.

25.12.2012 03:18

Originally posted by JST1946:
How does HD look on that little toy?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Dec 2012 @ 3:28

35.12.2012 04:44

I use my PC instead.

45.12.2012 06:15

I use my SmartTV :)

55.12.2012 06:54

Originally posted by hikaricor:
Originally posted by JST1946:
How does HD look on that little toy?
The only reason I have a Wii is for when my Grand Children come over and visit otherwise I just watch them on my PC.I really don't care if it's HD or not.

65.12.2012 09:43

I don't use Netflix because in Canada we have about half the content than US counterpart. I understand the price is cheaper, so technically you pay for what you get, but I want a little more so I pay more to get it.

75.12.2012 14:26

lol @ whatever else you thought you were gonna do with your ps3

85.12.2012 15:30

Is this any surprise? Wasn't the PS3 on board with this first? (You had to run the software from a disc.)

PS3 was always positioned as a total entertainment product, from streaming to Blu-Ray playback. Plus there should be a larger installed base of these than say a Roku, or so I'd think.

96.12.2012 14:37

Windows Media Center all the way for me.......the BEST interface for streaming Netflix!

107.12.2012 00:01

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Is this any surprise? Wasn't the PS3 on board with this first? (You had to run the software from a disc.)
Actually Xbox had it about 10 months earlier if I'm not mistaken.

117.12.2012 15:33

I stream to TV with my Roku box...and loving it !!!

127.12.2012 15:37

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
I stand corrected!

Either way, when Blu-Ray was in it's infancy, you were faced with a $200 player or a near $200 PS3, so the choice was clear for many to go with the PS3.

137.12.2012 19:09
Chroma45
Inactive

Originally posted by Mysttic:
I don't use Netflix because in Canada we have about half the content than US counterpart. I understand the price is cheaper, so technically you pay for what you get, but I want a little more so I pay more to get it.
Seriously, it's $8. Also you will get more content with more subscribers so you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Anyway just use any open USA DNS and you're good to go.

147.12.2012 20:27

I use the PS3 because it can be on in the background while using the computer for something else; it's already hooked up to the TV; and most importantly, because it's WAY faster and free than the XBox. Seriously, after my yearly Live subscription ran out, I was too fed up with paying for basics that are offered free through the PS3 and quickly realized how incredibly fast it is compared to the XBox. Especially after the latest firmware update the XB version is just unbearably slow.

Also, I have no interest in owning a Wii...

158.12.2012 03:16

So true and I remember when Netflix said that Xbox is a mine gold.

168.12.2012 04:23

I stand corrected!

Either way, when Blu-Ray was in it's infancy, you were faced with a $1000+ player or a near $600 PS3, so the choice was clear for many to go with the PS3.
I fixed your quote show it acurately represented blu-ray in its infancy.

1710.12.2012 11:05

Originally posted by hvymtlrlz:
I stand corrected!

Either way, when Blu-Ray was in it's infancy, you were faced with a $1000+ player or a near $600 PS3, so the choice was clear for many to go with the PS3.
Um, okay... if you do a Google search, you'll see it represented both ways, Proper Case or not.

1810.12.2012 11:44

Originally posted by hvymtlrlz:
I stand corrected!

Um, okay... if you do a Google search, you'll see it represented both ways, Proper Case or not.
Haha. I meant the price, not your capitalization.

1911.12.2012 13:39

PS3 offers more for the dollar so we use it for movies,netflix and games even lol

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive