AfterDawn: Tech news

Wii U clock speeds revealed

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Dec 2012 10:29 User comments (14)

Wii U clock speeds revealed

While Nintendo has kept certain aspects of the Wii U hardware secret, developer "Marcan" has released them for the masses.
Marcan has revealed the CPU and GPU clock speeds for the new console, which on the surface do not appear to be too spectacular but very efficient

According to the dev, the Wii U's CPU speeds run at 1.24 GHz per core with 3x PowerPC type cores. Additionally, the GPU speed of the Wii U is 550 MHz.

The current generation Xbox and PS3 consoles run at 3.2GHz, but the dev notes that clock speeds aren't everything: "So yes, the Wii U CPU is nothing to write home about, but don't compare it clock per clock with a 360 and claim it's much worse. It isn't."

Previous Next  

14 user comments

15.12.2012 01:51
Rinslowe
Unverified new user

Wish the article was a little bit more expansive but playing safe is a smart move considering their is still a lot of unknowns in terms of CPU/ GPU performance...

All in all quite liked the objectivity, way to maintain your integrity.

25.12.2012 09:46

There was essentially a bit more to this article than this site has posted. It went into further detail how the clocks performed between 360/PS3 and Wii, but it didn't give frame results. Basically it's saying the Wii-U is not weaker than PS3 and 360, but nor is it a godly upgrade either. Still for what the tech is, the price range for the console is on par to what it be selling at, they *Nintendo* aren't milking it like they did Wii.

35.12.2012 16:30

Eh......still sucks that it's much much less lower than the big boy consoles and sucks even more that Nintendo games are intense enough to merit higher clock speeds.

Time for Nintendo to revamp their games into something a little more ..........how should I say............2013(ish)????

45.12.2012 18:15

Originally posted by hearme0:
Eh......still sucks that it's much much less lower than the big boy consoles and sucks even more that Nintendo games are intense enough to merit higher clock speeds.

Time for Nintendo to revamp their games into something a little more ..........how should I say............2013(ish)????
Less lower than what? Did you not read the article?

55.12.2012 19:10

Originally posted by hearme0:

Did you read the part that said this? "So yes, the Wii U CPU is nothing to write home about, but don't compare it clock per clock with a 360 and claim it's much worse. It isn't."

The CPU and GPU is a few generations newer than what the 360 and PS3 have and the Mhz/Ghz is just a frequency/clock cycle. All that matters is how much work can be done per clock cycle. On top of that if the software is written optimally it can perform well with less power on a closed ecosystem of a console.

Now chances are that the Xbox 720 and PS4 will blow it away in terms of sheer performance but what all comes down to is the games. If the games are fun to play and the graphics meet the requirements to play the game effectively that is all that matters. You can make an ultra definition pile of crap but it will not change the fact that is just crap.

65.12.2012 22:37

It reminds me of the same circumstances as the GameCube and the Wii. Both the GameCube and the wii were underpowered from a purely technical standpoint when compared to their Microsoft and PlayStation competitors. But raw horsepower is not the deciding factor. What really matters is how effectively the system is able to run the games and there is much more to that than simply gigahertz and megahertz.

It seems to me like Nintendo is developing a trend of releasing a system before everyone else and the system is not necessarily the most technically capable box on the market but it is still able to do a fairly decent job.

76.12.2012 11:22

Yes because all cpus at the same speed have the same bandwidth..............

88.12.2012 00:17

IF it simply came down to clock speed a machine with an Intel Pentium 4 clocked at 2 GHz and a machine with the latest generation Intel processor clocked at 2 GHz would perform identically.

That just wouldn't be the case. There is a lot more that goes into performance than simply clock speed.

98.12.2012 00:29

Originally posted by wheelstb:
IF it simply came down to clock speed a machine with an Intel Pentium 4 clocked at 2 GHz and a machine with the latest generation Intel processor clocked at 2 GHz would perform identically.

That just wouldn't be the case. There is a lot more that goes into performance than simply clock speed.
Yeah Intel tried to play that game with the Pentium 4 until people wised up when AMD was kicking their but with processors a 1000+ Mhz slower.

108.12.2012 02:59

Can i honestly say something i dont care about processor speed as long as it works and plays the games i want to play i dont give a fart

119.12.2012 18:18

Quote:
Can i honestly say something i dont care about processor speed as long as it works and plays the games i want to play i dont give a fart
and that is exactly the right viewpoint to have. Besides, a lot of it probably comes down to how well the programmers are able to create code that works with what the system has to offer.

I remember back in the days of the GameCube, one of the Metroid games had some of the best graphics on any game system at the time. From a purely technical standpoint the GameCube wasn't on par with the other systems. I don't know a whole lot about programming but I'm sure having more power to work with makes it easier to create better graphics but, it is still possible it might just take more effort.

129.12.2012 19:08

Originally posted by wheelstb:
Quote:
and that is exactly the right viewpoint to have. Besides, a lot of it probably comes down to how well the programmers are able to create code that works with what the system has to offer.

I remember back in the days of the GameCube, one of the Metroid games had some of the best graphics on any game system at the time. From a purely technical standpoint the GameCube wasn't on par with the other systems. I don't know a whole lot about programming but I'm sure having more power to work with makes it easier to create better graphics but, it is still possible it might just take more effort.
as far as i know the ps2 was the least advanced of that generation...and it won that one due to its games

139.12.2012 19:25

Quote:
as far as i know the ps2 was the least advanced of that generation...and it won that one due to its games
you know what, I think you are correct. I don't know if it takes away from my overall point or not but, it still comes down to how well developers are able to negotiate different hardware configurations to get the best performance.

1412.12.2012 14:41

It also means the Wii U shouldn't run as hot. Less heat = longer console life. The optical drive is still going to be the other big weak point in reliability, but hopefully a WODE type device comes out fast so I don't have to rely on easily damaged optical disks and failing optical drives. I especially hope they haven't mated the optical drive to the motherboard the way the PS3 did (making a drive replacement a monstrous PITA).

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive