AfterDawn: Tech news

WD: 5TB hard drives coming next year

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Dec 2012 9:48 User comments (22)

WD: 5TB hard drives coming next year According to leaked WD slides, the company is planning two 5TB hard drives for release by the end of next year.
The slides show a WD Green and a WD Red model, each of which will be standard 3.5-inch SATA 3 6 Gb/s models.

Green-series hard drives are manufactured with lead-free, conflict-free and halogen-free materials and are environmentally conscious.

Additionally, 4TB Red and Green models will be released sometime in the Q2 or Q3 of next year, following the recent release of a 4TB Black model.

"Maximizing the features and functionality of power computing applications such as gaming, multimedia and video editing, the new WD Black 4 TB hard drives offer capacity and performance--without compromise," said Matt Rutledge, vice president of WD's client storage group, at the time. "In choosing WD Black hard drives, WD desktop customers get the best possible mix of capacity, performance and reliability to handle intense desktop computing with ease."

See pics of the slides at the source.

Previous Next  

22 user comments

15.12.2012 12:07

Ummmm, wow... it's about time

25.12.2012 13:48

Originally posted by ThePastor:
Ummmm, wow... it's about time
yep about time

35.12.2012 16:49

I'll take 2........but for only 129.99 each.......not a penny more.

45.12.2012 17:35

It's just a shame prices are taking so long to get back to pre-Thai flood/quake levels.
They're nearly therte but not quite.

Meantime I'm reusing 1tb drives I had shelved from my last (2tb) upgrade.

Maybe I'll give the 3tb drives a miss & go straight to 4tb - if the prices are right.

55.12.2012 18:29

Yeah right a 5tb have fun defraging that one,best leave it running while you go on holiday it should be done by the time you get back :P

65.12.2012 19:42

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Yeah right a 5tb have fun defraging that one,best leave it running while you go on holiday it should be done by the time you get back :P
In case you missed it Modern Operating systems defrag on the go these days. Also data storage drives do not get all fragged up as much as an OS drive does.

75.12.2012 21:30

With 5tbs why would you even worry about defraging?
They're bound to be mostly used (especially the 'green' ones) for media storage (HD movie files I'd guess).
So what's the big deal?

85.12.2012 23:26

Originally posted by bobiroc:
In case you missed it Modern Operating systems defrag on the go these days. Also data storage drives do not get all fragged up as much as an OS drive does.
By "modern OS" do you mean Vista and Win7? In my experience (which happens to be quite extensive in this area) Vista never seemed to do a good job of actually performing those supposedly "scheduled" defrags. Windows 7 was somewhat better on that front, but still not very good. I can't comment on Win8 yet in this area. I find that Norton's automatic "optimize" feature beats them both in practice. That being said, I never trust any defrag utility to take care of business on its own. I will always go in and baby-sit the process. No one should be condemned for bringing up such a valid point. If (and I wouldn't) I used one of these drives as my system drive, I would certainly partition it to something more manageable. Thank you both for bringing up these points as it is certainly a valid discussion.

96.12.2012 00:31

The post wasn't meant to be taken so literally there is a :p there at the end

in 3rd party utilities say like defraggler or ultradefrag they have an optimize feature,if anyone thought defragging took a long time they ain't seen noth'n yet..lol..you'd have to try it you'll see what i mean

the comp has to be idle for the defrag in vista & win 7 to work including the scheduled defrag its been that way since well xp & there was a setting in tweakui for xp to set drive to defrag automatically,windows search works the same way the os has to be idle

since it was asked:
why would i defrag such a large drive if i had one ? well apart from the obvious personally i wouldn't even have an issue in using one as an OS drive or data drive regardless if it was green or not,i run green drives now a 750 & 1.5tb,nothing wrong with them speed wise well not internally anyway,however a couple of 5tb would go down real well, i could do with the space it would also negate the need for a stack of external hdd's,keeping in mind i have a modest dvd collection including tv dvd's (thats sd not hd dvds),all currently being encoded to shock! horror! avi xvid..lol..short story original xbox plays them better so compatibility is why i chose avi or it would've been mp4 or mkv,yeah so defragging would be required as i'd be ripping dvd's to them encoding then deleting the video_ts folder at some point the video_ts folders & the encoded videos would get placed on the same drive & partition as space became scarce & would also get encoded to the same partition the dvd's were on,well that's one such scenario then there's drive imaging not to mention general install & delete on a daily basis or transfer & deletion anywhere on the drive etc,etc

107.12.2012 14:54

1. Will these green drives require the green function to be turned off to avoid a premature death under anything but windows??

2. Aggg defrag, isnt everyone either rocking ext3/4 or using an ssd for a boot drives these days

As for skipping the 3TB and jumping to a 4TB, yeah thats ok if your buying hitachi, but if you look at seagate the 4's are nearly double the price of the 3's

WArrrrr when i can have a depleted uranium platter !!! lol http://www.howtogeek.com/93713/are-depl...r-future-video/

Or do we all wait for the 10TB Drives from TDK?: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26133/tdk...logy/index.html

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Dec 2012 @ 3:01

117.12.2012 15:38

@ Plasma247

I was thinking more along the lines of by the time I need to buy some new drives the WD 4gbs should be about & hopefully at a competitive price.

127.12.2012 15:57

Originally posted by plazma247:
1. Will these green drives require the green function to be turned off to avoid a premature death under anything but windows??

2. Aggg defrag, isnt everyone either rocking ext3/4 or using an ssd for a boot drives these days

As for skipping the 3TB and jumping to a 4TB, yeah thats ok if your buying hitachi, but if you look at seagate the 4's are nearly double the price of the 3's

WArrrrr when i can have a depleted uranium platter !!! lol http://www.howtogeek.com/93713/are-depl...r-future-video/

Or do we all wait for the 10TB Drives from TDK?: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26133/tdk...logy/index.html

No! green is the materials its made of; you know lead free n such..lol..

137.12.2012 16:20

Quote:
No! green is the materials its made of; you know lead free n such..lol..
No its not, everything is lead free solder now, the green ranger is lower power and previous models have had an auto sleep function, which worked ok under ntfs and went tick tick tick fail under linux.

I would wait and see if tdk brings out a 10gb drive 2q later as thats going to make all drives drop in price.

148.12.2012 12:14

That's what i used to think green drives were however the materials used have been changed as well to non carcinogenic to the enviroment

i'm familiar with the tick tick,happens in windows as well (externals)turning the hdd off & back on usually solves it if it didn't run first time round the linux issue can be solved the same way if lucky or change power management values in linux's registry,tho not always successful

158.12.2012 13:28

Turning off the sleep auto sleep function in WD Greens: http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critica...green-hdds.html

Or if you cant boot from CD/USB to apply the fix under linux (maybe a nas):

http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/

Then just use hdparm as normal if you want to sleep the drive.

As for the environmental friendly that maybe true as well, it also mainly relates to the slower spindle speed compared to the higher spindle speed of the blacks.

Ive heard and seen a few horror stories because of the greens going bad prematurely due to the function not being known about and disabled.

If your getting a tick tick under windows its not likely to be the idle3 issue and i would consider reading the smart table for the drive and have a look for anything that looks odd as it doesn't sound to healthy to me.

168.12.2012 15:15

I wonder when we are going to get the reliability we had 5 years ago. Presently 20% of all the drives I buy are DOA and another 30% fail within months not years. Replacement drives under warranty are junk.

178.12.2012 17:30

Originally posted by plazma247:
Turning off the sleep auto sleep function in WD Greens: http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critica...green-hdds.html

Or if you cant boot from CD/USB to apply the fix under linux (maybe a nas):

http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/

Then just use hdparm as normal if you want to sleep the drive.

As for the environmental friendly that maybe true as well, it also mainly relates to the slower spindle speed compared to the higher spindle speed of the blacks.

Ive heard and seen a few horror stories because of the greens going bad prematurely due to the function not being known about and disabled.

If your getting a tick tick under windows its not likely to be the idle3 issue and i would consider reading the smart table for the drive and have a look for anything that looks odd as it doesn't sound to healthy to me.
The drives ok platter wise i've boiled it down to the interfaces of the hdd housing & the hdd & quite possibly the computer usb ports not quite syncing for lack of a better word,does it with my older xp comp as well,once running it'll be fine for hours or days,just every now again it'll go stupid

188.12.2012 17:48

Originally posted by gilboa:
I wonder when we are going to get the reliability we had 5 years ago. Presently 20% of all the drives I buy are DOA and another 30% fail within months not years. Replacement drives under warranty are junk.
Not any time soon. There is only a single 'quality' manufacturer in the market, which is Western Digital (to the cringing of many). Seagate have firmly established themselves at the budget end of the market by undercutting WD, axing the majority of their product lines and slashing warranties on their products to just 1 year.

The biggest problem we have to face is dire support for drives larger than 2TB. Having owned several 3TB drives, they're a nightmare to try and support without losing file systems here there and everywhere. My data is far, far less secure on 3TB drives than on smaller ones, and that's not even due to the error rate, it's just down to the complete unknown of whether the data is going to go away when I cross the 2.16TB barrier...
I'll be honest, GPT does not impress me in the slightest. There must be a better way of doing things!

199.12.2012 01:14

I just bought a new hard drive for the first time since the flooding...got myself a 2TB drive for my laptop. Yeah, it was a bit pricy, but cheaper than it would have been before the floods (not available outside of paying someone to steal it from development lab before the flood).

I have no intentions to buy any 3.5 drives for a while...from what I see, there isn't a single quality manufacturer of SATA 3.5" hard drives over 2TB...and I have a pile of those that all still work perfectly (I bought a ton of them before the flood). Sure, I can spend a small fortune on SAS drives and get quality, but at $400 for 3TB and $480 for 4TB, it isn't worth it.

209.12.2012 05:11

Originally posted by sammorris:
Originally posted by gilboa:
Not any time soon. There is only a single 'quality' manufacturer in the market, which is Western Digital (to the cringing of many). Seagate have firmly established themselves at the budget end of the market by undercutting WD, axing the majority of their product lines and slashing warranties on their products to just 1 year.

The biggest problem we have to face is dire support for drives larger than 2TB. Having owned several 3TB drives, they're a nightmare to try and support without losing file systems here there and everywhere. My data is far, far less secure on 3TB drives than on smaller ones, and that's not even due to the error rate, it's just down to the complete unknown of whether the data is going to go away when I cross the 2.16TB barrier...
I'll be honest, GPT does not impress me in the slightest. There must be a better way of doing things!
I bought 6 Western Digital FAEX (1-2TB) Drives about a year ago at different times from different suppliers 5 were DOA I have been through over 30 warranty replacements and now a year later I only have one working drive for my expenditure of over $1000.

219.12.2012 05:39

I've owned 41 low power WD drives (40 Green, 1 Red recently purchased), and about 9 or 10 older drives (including two early 37GB Raptors) - of those, I've only had one genuine faulty drive (500GB SE16), may have a second (WD30EZRX) but have yet to vindicate the controller it's attached to.

Mileage varies significantly with hard disks, and the one thing I've noticed is people buying HDDs online from places like newegg seem to suffer vastly more DOAs than those buying from high street stores. That begs the question whether the fault is not in fact due to the shipping process...

229.12.2012 12:02

Originally posted by sammorris:
I've owned 41 low power WD drives (40 Green, 1 Red recently purchased), and about 9 or 10 older drives (including two early 37GB Raptors) - of those, I've only had one genuine faulty drive (500GB SE16), may have a second (WD30EZRX) but have yet to vindicate the controller it's attached to.

Mileage varies significantly with hard disks, and the one thing I've noticed is people buying HDDs online from places like newegg seem to suffer vastly more DOAs than those buying from high street stores. That begs the question whether the fault is not in fact due to the shipping process...
It also begs questions about build quality when you can order 10 Seagate 3.5" drives and 10 WD 3.5" drives from the same place and all of the WD drives are DOA while all the Seagate drives work perfectly for years and years. There is more to making a good drive than just making it last a long time in static conditions...it should be able to take physical abuse as well. I've been driving around with 5 2TB seagate drives in my truck for the last year...I've hit bumps that made my teeth hurt, I had a screen rattle apart, I had to use locktite on the case screws, I have black RTV holding the back of my video card to the slot because the plastic clip doesn't do the job well enough, and parts of the outer shell of my laptop have fallen off after the plastic bits that the screws go into broke off...and all 5 Seagates still work perfectly. All that said, I wouldn't trust a 3TB Seagate to hold a redundant copy of a backup.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive