1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ripped Blu-Rays wont play on my iPhone, will they ever?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by SSB, Dec 9, 2012.

1. SSB

SSB Member

Hi

I've just bought a Blu-Ray drive to rip my Blu-Ray collection as I have been doing with my DVD's. I've been using DVD Fab and Handbrake to do this and I've always been using the High Profile output as I want the best quality possible for the sake of future proofing my collection.

When I was ripping DVD's I noticed that a few of them wouldn't play on my iPhone after running them through Handbrake. Stragely the only videos I was having this issue with were my older sitcoms such as Friends whereas my animated series and movies always worked fine no matter what.

Anyway I've just ripped my first Blu-Ray this morning, The Hangover Part 2 and converted it in Handbrake (this took over twice as long as ripping/converting a regular DVD, is that normal?). It has made a perfect M4V which I'm very happy with although when I tried to put it onto my iPhone I got a message saying that the video cannot be played on my iPhone.

Now I understand that this is a well known issue as Apple devices can only play videos of a very specific resolution so I'm assuimg that the rip I have just made is too high quality for my iPhone (a 3GS if that matters)?

This is not a big deal for me right now (as I said I'm doing this mainly for backup purposes right now) but I'm thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5 and/or getting an iPad, will my Blu-Ray rips be able to play on them? If not will they ever?

2. Joe_1981

Joe_1981 Regular member

Not sure about the issue of it not playing on your phone. However, I can say that Blu-rays take much longer to rip and convert, versus DVD. Blu-ray drives do not read data as fast as DVD drives and there is far more data on a Blu-ray than a DVD.

As far as a new iPhone or an iPad goes, I'd think they'd play, assuming you're converting it to a format that is compatible with your new device.

3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

4. SSB

SSB Member

Yeah it takes me about 3 minutes to tip a DVD and usually the length of the film/program to convert it. With the Blu Rays its taking half an hour to rip and 9 hours to convert! It's giving me amazing M4V files though that are only about 5GB so I can't really complain.

As I said I've always just used the high profile pre-set in Handbrake and I've never had any problems with my DVD's which all play fine on my iPhone save for a few live action sitcoms.

I haven't decided how I want to utalise these rips yet, my original plan was to get an iPad with Apple TV but now I'm thinking a regular laptop with a HDMI connected to the TV will be just as good.

5. hogger129

hogger129 Member

It should not take that long. What you need to do is when you start up DVDFab, select "Main Movie." Rip that to your desktop and when it's done there should be a folder called "Main Movie." Drag/drop those files back into DVDFab and then use the ripper. It goes faster and it's more accurate.

As for not playing on your iPhone, make sure you are putting them in the proper format. Apple devices require MPEG-4 video and AAC audio.

6. SSB

SSB Member

Thats exactly what I'm doing.

For my iPhone I'm doing doing anything different either. I leave everything as it is and select high profile then encode. It's worked for all my DVD's but not my Blu-Rays.

I have a 3GS so I'm wondering if the videos are simply too high quality for it to handle? I'm switching to the iPhone 5 in a few months so hopefully they will work on that given that it has a much higher resolution.

7. hogger129

hogger129 Member

Could be... not really sure though.

8. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

I have an iPhone 5 an so far do not have problems playing converted BD movies on my device. Currently use DVDFab for conversion but have used Handbrake in the past (although I think it was for DVD movies only). Hope this brings some insight.

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

sounds to me like resolution or video format of the movies.could also be the program your using to put them on iphone.
    best way to check would be using something like gspot or media info to check the difference between the dvd rips and blu ray rips.
    im not a fan of apple so dont have an iphone.