AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung Galaxy Note III to have 6.3-inch screen?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 13 Dec 2012 11:20 User comments (18)

Samsung Galaxy Note III to have 6.3-inch screen? According to sources, 2013's Samsung Galaxy Note III will include a massive 6.3-inch screen, blending the lines between a phone and a tablet even more so than usual.
The original Note had a 5.3-inch screen and this year's Galaxy Note II has a 5.5-inch screen.

At 6.3-inches, the new smartphone will be only marginally smaller than Samsung's smaller tablets, which are 7 inches.

Samsung has been said to be cutting their LCD budgets significantly while moving that money to OLED and flexible displays.

The Note III is expected to launch at the end of the summer next year.

Previous Next  

18 user comments

113.12.2012 11:31

I'm a big fan of the note, but I think this is getting out of hand.

213.12.2012 11:33

Originally posted by Azuran:
Get it???..........."out of hand"..........get it???.........too big to hold in hand therefore it's "out of hand".

HA HA HA HA HA

313.12.2012 11:52

i don't see myself holding this on the ear; who can hold something ~ 7"? people will probably use this phone with headphone only...

413.12.2012 12:22

And my guess the MSRP will hit $1000, at least in Canada.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Dec 2012 @ 12:23

513.12.2012 15:59

I use my iPad as a phone so I'm 10 years ahead of u freaks. But really I want data only phones

613.12.2012 18:43

Originally posted by Mysttic:
And my guess the MSRP will hit $1000, at least in Canada.
This is true :(

713.12.2012 20:06

Originally posted by Azuran:
Bravo.

814.12.2012 02:11

Originally posted by buddyleem:
I use my iPad as a phone so I'm 10 years ahead of u freaks. But really I want data only phones
seen someone outside a shop doing that the otherday.looked like he was talking to a computer screen was laughing.

on a serious note phones keep getting bigger we will be using thin brick mobiles.

914.12.2012 04:07

see guys? this is called innovative thinking.

breaking news for ipad lovers:

"bought a new ipad? don't dump the old one! you can use it as a data phone."

i am thinking of using my old laptop as alarm clock...pun intended...

1014.12.2012 13:41

Originally posted by mukhis:
i dont see myself holding this on the ear; who can hold something ~ 7"? people will probably use this phone with headphone only...
People use to say the same thing about my Dell Streak which was 5 in...now its the norm. A lot of people use their phones more as tablets...or for texting....and not a lot of actual calls....so yeah...I see this as being a great move.

1115.12.2012 03:11

It's a known fact that people use phones for actually calling people only about 3% of the time cos they can do so much these days, but I must admit I would feel stupid with a tablet slapped on my ear, my mate has the note 2 and says he doesn't like phoning in public cos of it's size so the bigger one will look even more stupid, but I think people who keep their Bluetooth earpiece in while walking down the street look even worse, lol.

It's funny how things have gone full circle tho, back in 1998 they were quite big, and Nokia were bringing out phones that were getting smaller, then the clamshell phones arrived and were tiny, now the size is creeping back up, who would av thought in the days of playing snake that u would be playing games with 3d graphics rendered in real time on a phone!!
Where does it end??

1215.12.2012 16:17

too big

1315.12.2012 17:45

phablets are the next big thing

1415.12.2012 21:58

Originally posted by mukhis:
i don't see myself holding this on the ear; who can hold something ~ 7"? people will probably use this phone with headphone only...
It is called bluetooth, some people don't use anything else. It is actually illegal to drive and talk without it in a lot of states. Personally, I'd love to see 11" tablets that work with all cell networks. No, it won't fit in my pocket and I cannot hold it in one hand...I don't care as long as there is a dash mount available.

No, you are 10 years ahead of the networks. I have unlimited calling, I don't have unlimited data, in fact, I use 90%+ of my data every month without data calling and I have the largest data plan Verizon currently offers. More than that, there are many places where there simply isn't 3G yet, or if there is, it is not strong and stable enough to support data calling. Heck, there are still a few areas where there isn't even any voice service on the interstate, let alone on state roads. One day we will have true 4G (as in 100mbps minimum) everywhere with the exception of a few areas where the population is non-existent...that day has not come.

1516.12.2012 16:47

Well it looks like we're gonna need a big Bluetooth set to go with our giant a** phones from now on!! It's considered tablet territory, imo, when you beyond 6 inches...

1616.12.2012 18:46

Whats wrong, no desire to start carrying a purse for your phone?

1716.12.2012 18:57

Originally posted by blueboy09:
Well it looks like we're gonna need a big Bluetooth set to go with our giant a** phones from now on!! It's considered tablet territory, imo, when you beyond 6 inches...
Way ahead of you...it looks dorky I know...but it works in a convertible with the top down and in a factory with the machinery running, it lasts 3 days on a charge after 2 years of battery degradation, and it works perfectly 75 feet away from the phone.

1818.12.2012 06:17

Originally posted by jdwinty:
People use to say the same thing about my Dell Streak which was 5 in...now its the norm.

but there is a limit; i don't think people will start thinking/feeling that they can hold 7" to their ears...or some day 10" to the ears...LOL.
Originally posted by KillerBug:
It is called bluetooth, some people don't use anything else.

to me, BT is even more clumsy/uncomfortable than holding a phone to the ear. of course, this does not apply to driving.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive