AfterDawn: Tech news

Google Maps for iPhone quickly becomes top app in App Store

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 13 Dec 2012 10:52 User comments (7)

Google Maps for iPhone quickly becomes top app in App Store

Just hours after being released for iOS, Google's new Maps app has become the most downloaded application in the App Store.
The free app is available in 40 countries and in 29 languages and Apple fans seem to be running as fast as they can to replace their buggy Apple Maps offering which came pre-loaded on iOS 6 devices like the latest iPad, iPad Mini and iPhone 5.

Apple's version became infamous for getting users lost and for its glaring lack of any kind of public transit navigation. Apple CEO Tim Cook had to apologize for the app, and the longtime exec behind iOS software was fired.

Reads Google's post:

People around the world have been asking for Google Maps on iPhone. Starting today, we're pleased to announce that Google Maps is here--rolling out across the world in the Apple App Store. It's designed from the ground up to combine the comprehensiveness and accuracy of Google Maps with an interface that makes finding what you're looking for faster and easier.

The app shows more map on screen and turns mobile mapping into one intuitive experience. It's a sharper looking, vector-based map that loads quickly and provides smooth tilting and rotating of 2D and 3D views. The search box at the top is a good place to start--perhaps by entering the name of a new and interesting restaurant. An expandable info sheet at the bottom shows the address, opening hours, ratings and reviews, images, directions and other information.

At the heart of this app is our constantly improving map of the world that includes detailed information for more than 80 million businesses and points of interest. Preview where you want to go with Street View and see inside places with Business Photos to decide on a table or see if it's better at the bar. To get you there, you've got voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation, live traffic conditions to avoid the jams and if you want to use public transportation, find information for more than one million public transit stops.

For their part, Apple engineers have been working on fixing the application but now with Google Maps back, it will be too little too late.

Previous Next  

7 user comments

113.12.2012 20:25

Maybe this is more because App1e's map app simply sucks.

213.12.2012 20:31

Well yes, entirely because.

313.12.2012 21:18

Goodbye Apple Maps... Hello Google Maps.. Of course I didn't really use it anyway because it was terrible and usually used MapQuest but lets see how Google does.

414.12.2012 05:23

This is very welcome for me as I am an iOS user. Doesn't seem to make allot of commercial sense for Google by plugging the biggest problem in iOS 6.

515.12.2012 01:47

Originally posted by bloke2000:
This is very welcome for me as I am an iOS user. Doesn't seem to make allot of commercial sense for Google by plugging the biggest problem in iOS 6.

Doesn't make a lot of commercial sense? Sounds like another apple fan refusing to see that there is be something better. Maybe Google is thinking; see how our apps just work.
I guess being ubiquitous doesn't make a lot of commercial sense...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Dec 2012 @ 1:50

615.12.2012 04:00

Originally posted by Justoneguy:

Doesn't make a lot of commercial sense? Sounds like another apple fan refusing to see that there is be something better. Maybe Google is thinking; see how our apps just work.
What. Really, your comment is out of line. I 100% agree google maps are superior to Apple maps in nearly every way. But, please tell me you are only referring to Google apps when you say Maybe Google is thinking; see how our apps just work. because the argument of app quality between iOS and Android cannot be had at this point in time because the android apps are generally no where near as good as the iOS Ones.

My comments were in favour of Google, but you are quite clearly such a Phandroid that you saw it as a negative response, so sad.

717.12.2012 01:52

Originally posted by Justoneguy:

What. Really, your comment is out of line. I 100% agree google maps are superior to Apple maps in nearly every way. But, please tell me you are only referring to Google apps when you say Maybe Google is thinking; see how our apps just work. because the argument of app quality between iOS and Android cannot be had at this point in time because the android apps are generally no where near as good as the iOS Ones.

My comments were in favour of Google, but you are quite clearly such a Phandroid that you saw it as a negative response, so sad.

Does it surprise you that a mindless Apple hater would take the opportunity to twist something said into yet another one of their rants?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive