1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO SET UP SKYBOX f3

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by e45, Dec 13, 2012.

1. e45

e45 Regular member

This is the set up for the f3 skybox, ease of set up about 5 - 10 simple when its all explained just like everything so i have done a little tutorial for you all to help people unsure on what to do, the box is HD upgradable via USB device.

First off get yourself a blank usb device which must be formatted to fat32 by plugging into your pc, most of these boxes come with the image preloaded so all you will need to add is your favorite see lion, which is simple you put it on your usb and stick it in the front of the box.

The pictures below will show you the rest of the story, if you dont have a hdmi tv you can use the composit cable and the scart adapter as shown below.

[​IMG]
    This is the box the f3 comes in nice and compact.
    [​IMG]
    This is what you get in the box remote Hdmi cable power lead and book
    [​IMG]
    If you dont have a HDMI fitting on your TV you will need these composite to scart.
    [​IMG]
    Front of box
    [​IMG]
    Front of box showing USB plug in behind the pull down door
    [​IMG]
    Back of box as you see it does not have a scart connection so you will need the connection above
    [​IMG]
    Installation screen for doing your scanning, you press ok and then scroll down to what you want and press ok
    [​IMG]
    In here you have you tv settings same again press ok then scroll down to what you want and press ok
    [​IMG]
    Here you can edit your channels with the remote or use the channel editor available
    [​IMG]
    This is where you get into your cam*, but as you can see it does not show up reason been you have not entered the number
    [​IMG]
    As you can now see once you see this screen all you do to get it is press 6666 on your remote this brings up the hidden menu
    [​IMG]
    Once you press ok then click on cmds you will get this screen up click on the cca* or what you are using then you will get next screen
    [​IMG]
    Here you have your usb in and you can update your sea lions here you can also manually do it by scrolling to the next option not highlighted

As you can see its not that hard to get this box up and running just takes the time to read and do it step by step, after that reboot your router and you should be viewing your channels any questions just put a post up and i will try answer it for you if i can.

Picture is crystal clear nice neat little box shiny black in colour so will go with you black tv should you have one, channel change is instant,can play video via your usb you can record direct to usb, only let down the channel you are recording has to be watched or switched on you can have utube it has a button called M/P which brings up a micro screen from which you can select what you need overall box is good value for money i would give it 9/10 only let down the remote is a bit flimsy and no real feel off it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. balrock

balrock Member

Great guide e45.

What are sea lions??? Was that a typo?

Is the seal at the back of your box broken ? Mine is, just wondering why that might be.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

sea lion =C-line

4. balrock

balrock Member

Cheers...

5. podger79

podger79 Member

new to this just ordered this box hope to have it by monday the guide looks great can anybody recommend a good c-line?thanks

6. e45

e45 Regular member

Have a google about and get a few test lines and then pick the one that is right for you

7. podger79

podger79 Member

thanks for the reply just google tured up loads just didnt want to get ripped off some here today gone tomorrow place but sure thats half the fun thanks again

8. balrock

balrock Member

Just setup up the box, was very easy.

Few hints, don't try do a blind scan to get the channels, freeze's the box and doesn't save the channels. I added a channel list which I downloaded on a USB key using piopats open box tutorial. Has the channels grouped by category so very handy.

The 7 day EPG doesn't appear to work on sky channels as box does not use same type epg as sky but if someone knows a fix be great to hear it?

If anyone knew which firmware updates should be installed be great to get a thread started on that.

Big thanks to Mickah, piopat and e45 for all the great threads..

9. tony5725

tony5725 Member

gr8 post e45 can you help my skybox already as a sea lion and works ok how can i use that same sea lion in another box i have its a vu+ duo

10. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

You normally cant as the line provider can see it and will shut ya down, ask them for another line or you can load the line into a 2nd box, but you cant use the boxs at the same time,

@blarock - The EPG wont populate as the EPG only works on Slyboxs and freesat etc, I am surprised no one has implemented this into firmware, Now and next is all you will get on these boxs.

11. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

do it mickah :)

12. e45

e45 Regular member

Reason been they cant as sky use a different technique to implement it to their boxes, which for some reason wont work 100% on third party boxes.

As for using same line on another box, as mickah has said your line will be cut off if they see it, and they will your box cannot be switched on even if you are not using it, using a second box with same line "Switch" the other off at the wall.

13. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Sorry for going off topic on here, but Fint made a the below comment in the Ariva 150 thread, thought it was a good explanation on EPG data

14. colmmcl

colmmcl Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry bit of a noob. I have installed 2 of these boxes, one at home and one for a friend both on HDTVS. However I have ordered another for a friend who has since told me he has an old non-hd tv. How would I go about connecting this box to a standard def tv? would the composite to scart work for me?if so are there any steps i have to follow?thanks

Colm

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

if you look at the pics above you can see there is a composite to scart adapter that can be used or you can use the composite leads, no steps to follow, just plug in and watch

16. ddaveb

ddaveb Member

got a f3 box but cant enter cline with usb get message Cccam.cfg not found file was created in notepad with correct name works when cline entered manualy. tried different usb sticks & know ports working cos works for recording any ideas?/
    Found out what was wrong line was saved as text but txt extention was hidden

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  17. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

it could be the line info is missing a digit or has a space where it shouldnt have, did you copy the line as it was given to you? I have answered you in your other thread you asked about your chans mixed up, i posted a chan file for you

18. Throttle74

Throttle74 Member

Hi
    hope im okay asking in this thread as its Skybox F3 related, But i have just got a Skybox F3 with the wifi dongle im new too this and just wondered if im fine using the 2 spare connections on my Sky quad LNB as i have a working Sky sub ?

I'm assuming i shouldn't have any problems at all in doing so as im going too be using different cable just the same LNB at the same time though,
    Also would i need internet connection to use the box just for fta viewing on it ?
    Im sure id be safe using the Sky LNB and using my box for fta viewing but im just being on the safe side rather than potentially getting any grief off Sky :)

19. e45

e45 Regular member

yep you sure are m8 without a problem :) works a treat !!

No you wont need internet for FTA channels they wont even know what you are doing with your dish, remember that is your property now after you sign up so what you do with it is up to you.

If you want to watch the other channels you will need a line for you box ;) a special line

20. Throttle74

Throttle74 Member

Cheers for the quick reply, I'm going to run it on FTA for the time being then when i get my internet connection installed in 2 weeks as im tethering at the moment.

I'll try and look more into how i can get some more channels sorted out once my proper internet is installed :)