AfterDawn: Tech news

Wal-Mart slashes prices on iOS devices

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Dec 2012 11:31 User comments (10)

Wal-Mart slashes prices on iOS devices

Wal-Mart has significantly slashed the prices on new iOS devices.
The world's biggest retailer will sell the base model iPhone 5 for $127 with contract, while also cutting the price of the iPhone 4S to $47.

Additionally, the retailer is dropping the price of the 16 GB third-generation iPad with Wi-Fi to $399. Starting on Monday, the iPad deal will come with a $30 iTunes card for free, as well.

There had been a rumor that Wal-Mart would also discount the fourth generation iPad, as well, but a spokesperson has declined.

When the prices become effective, they will be the largest sales prices on iOS devices we have seen yet.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

114.12.2012 23:32

Don't buy too many or they'll taser you.....

215.12.2012 10:07

i heard they come with a prius and dental dam

315.12.2012 16:19
Orgelkraft
Unverified new user

I'm sure they will make it up in the contract... Smoke and mirrors discount... They could sell the for 1 cent and make it up in the contract.... Sales hype if I ever heard it! WOW!!!

416.12.2012 00:04

Originally posted by Orgelkraft:
I'm sure they will make it up in the contract... Smoke and mirrors discount... They could sell the for 1 cent and make it up in the contract.... Sales hype if I ever heard it! WOW!!!
What? If there's any corporation with the resources to give a legitimate discount like this, it's WalMart. I have faith that they will have a significantly smaller profit margin off each device sold, even in the long run. I can see the motivation, though, being to use their massive assets to leverage themselves far above their competition like Best Buy and Radioshack...but what's new there.

516.12.2012 14:12

people bitch about high prices,but when offered a discount,its some kind of conspiracy.cant win i guess.

616.12.2012 16:35

Interesting thing is that why didn't they jump on this when the recession was in, and slash those iPhone prices then? Why now all of a sudden?

716.12.2012 21:20

This is actually a very big deal since Apple does NOT slash prices for devices they sell to retailers. Margins are razor thin for the carriers (from what I hear) on actual hardware sales.

816.12.2012 21:33

Originally posted by ivymike:
Don't buy too many or they'll taser you.....
LMAO! Only if your chinese it seems......

917.12.2012 11:17

They'll make it back up in the eggs, milk, and bread people will purchase with this phone.

1022.12.2012 15:56

No interested on "The iOS Trojan Horse" devices, not even for free.
Now: if they are free.... then I will trow them down into the garbage can.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Dec 2012 @ 7:15

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive