AfterDawn: Tech news

Gaming company THQ files for bankruptcy

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 19 Dec 2012 11:00 User comments (11)

Gaming company THQ files for bankruptcy

Game maker THQ has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, with its assets being sold to private equity firm Clearlake Capital Group for $60 million.
The company's stock fell 73 percent today to finish at $0.35 cents.

Last month, the company admitted it was seeking "strategic financing alternatives" as it bled cash.

Clearlake will acquire all of THQ's studios and all games in development. Additionally, the bankruptcy and sale will let the company "shed certain legacy obligations and emerge with the strong financial backing of a new owner with substantial experience in software and technology."

THQ is best known for its WWE wrestling games and the extremely popular "Saints Row" franchise.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

119.12.2012 23:23

Well that explains the THQ Bundle...

220.12.2012 02:02

What a shame, what a shame.

320.12.2012 04:00

They deserve it. One of my favorite games was published by them and they did nothing to ruin the game. The game company wanted to fix and patch problems in the game, but thq refused to allow the company to fix it. In the contract thq held exclusive rights to allow updates and it seemed thq and the other company had a falling out and thq did whatever they could to make the other company feel the pain...

If thq goes bye-bye, everyone involved would benefit.

420.12.2012 06:01
ClownShoes
Unverified new user

Really SomeBozo?

Any links to your story, any evidence at all? What was this game that they ruined? I hate to be skeptical, but I call BS on that one.

THQ are one of the better publishers and it is definitely a shame to see them going the way of the Dodo.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

520.12.2012 09:38

I donated most of my bundle purchase to them. Sad to see it didn't help lol.

620.12.2012 09:44

I'll miss Saints Row...hopefully someone picks up the franchise.

721.12.2012 11:40

Well I did everything I could, bought the Saints pack on steam a month ago for $12.50 and the THQ bundle for uhh I forget, probably about $10.... OK, maybe I'm starting to see why they went bankrupt.

@

Originally posted by ClownShoes:
Any links to your story, any evidence at all? What was this game that they ruined? I hate to be skeptical, but I call BS on that one.
I'm not certain but he may be talking about Red Faction. The first game was a still-born multiplayer only mess. The engine was there, full destructible terrain, tesla towers in a FPS!, but the online bit wasn't supported or patched for years. I think fans finally hacked the patch together.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2012 @ 11:41

821.12.2012 11:58

I believe they made Metro 2033. One of the best games I have ever played.

921.12.2012 12:02

Originally posted by hearme0:
I believe they made Metro 2033. One of the best games I have ever played.
Yes and I thought they were releasing the sequel soon too.

1021.12.2012 19:10

@ClownShoes... perhaps some time in the games industry would educate you and your scepticism. Publishers are notoriously a bunch of idiots with a cheque book.

THQ should have gone bump years ago... They did serious damage to the reputation of a company I worked for, when they released a pre-release version of a Gameboy Colour game to manufacture. The version of the game had a show-stopping bug in it, and it should never have been released... especially as it was before the project deadline. But they didn't give a sh*t, and denied all responsibility, leaving users with an unfinishable game, and us to deal with the backlash.

Also turned out that the version that turned up on torrent sites, was the exact same bugged version, as we downloaded it and compared code versions.

I feel pity for the genuine workers, but the management deserve every hardship they get... w****rs!

1122.12.2012 01:49

Originally posted by LeeC22:
@ClownShoes... perhaps some time in the games industry would educate you and your scepticism. Publishers are notoriously a bunch of idiots with a cheque book.

THQ should have gone bump years ago... They did serious damage to the reputation of a company I worked for, when they released a pre-release version of a Gameboy Colour game to manufacture. The version of the game had a show-stopping bug in it, and it should never have been released... especially as it was before the project deadline. But they didn't give a sh*t, and denied all responsibility, leaving users with an unfinishable game, and us to deal with the backlash.

Also turned out that the version that turned up on torrent sites, was the exact same bugged version, as we downloaded it and compared code versions.

I feel pity for the genuine workers, but the management deserve every hardship they get... w****rs!

Do you have any links to this info?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive