AfterDawn: Tech news

Mozilla flips, will let 64-bit Firefox live

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 25 Dec 2012 2:24 User comments (9)

Mozilla flips, will let 64-bit Firefox live

Last month, Mozilla Engineering Manager Benjamin Smedberg announced that the company was killing off 64-bit nightly builds of the popular Firefox browser.
At the time, the engineer said there was "significant negative feedback," but it appears that has been revised as Mozilla is re-instating the builds.

A new post, called 'Update on turning off 64-bit Windows builds,' the engineer said the builds are back due to the limitations of 32-bit, with 4GB RAM limits that can kill a computer that is trying to keep hundreds of tabs open.

Smedberg now says we will "continue to build win64 Nightly builds and updates on the nightly channel. Users who need the 64-bit builds will have to download it after the migration point (date TBD)."

More information here: Mozilla Firefox 64-bit discussion

Previous Next  

9 user comments

125.12.2012 14:49

Is Mozilla that out of touch? I really liked older version of Firefox, but really can't stand the newer updated style of the browser they chose in newer versions. To hear a company say they won't support 64-bit really makes me think they are even more out of touch. What will they do now, pull 32-bit to only support 16-bit, and then 8-bit only. This is ludicrous if Mozilla continues down this path.

225.12.2012 16:19

"can kill a computer that is trying to keep hundreds of tabs open."

Oh no! I wouldn't be able to have my USUAL hundreds of sites opened at once??? ;-)

325.12.2012 16:57

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:

Oh no! I wouldn't be able to have my USUAL hundreds of sites opened at once??? ;-)
In response to devs (the people who test nightlies), not for average Internet user.

425.12.2012 17:11

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by xnonsuchx:

In response to devs (the people who test nightlies), not for average Internet user.
Ya i can't remember ever getting more then 15 windows/tabs opened at once, after that I find i'll trash too much looking for what I might need, after then i start closing them all and then restart for the windows i really need at the time.

While opening 100's windows/tabs might be a valid test for stress/perf it doesn't seem practical for ordinary use cases, again sure sounds like Mozilla is seriously out of touch of reality?

I wonder where other browsers would tip over, 20, 50, 100 windows/tabs...

525.12.2012 18:59

I've got about 45 tabs open right now, most of them pinned. I'll let you know when I get to 100.

625.12.2012 20:51

welcome back?

726.12.2012 09:27

Originally posted by hikaricor:
I've got about 45 tabs open right now, most of them pinned. I'll let you know when I get to 100.
jaja, me too.

826.12.2012 14:16

Who cares...............www.waterfoxproject.org

Just "Better"

95.2.2013 20:27
Mozilla77
Unverified new user

Mozilla is the most fu... up Internet shercher I ever have becasuse 4 times this and last year brok in my laptop. in first time work completly right than donn't want to opend I don't know what the .... is worng with this thing. I reallly like it firstly but now I think is pice of ... swer down who ... up this program was such good program now is just getting werst and werst. :(

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive