AfterDawn: Tech news

New Samsung Smart TV to have 'unprecedented' new shape and design

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 31 Dec 2012 9:14 User comments (9)

New Samsung Smart TV to have 'unprecedented' new shape and design

Samsung has teased a new TV that will be unveiled at the upcoming CES event.
CES runs from January 8th to the 11th in Las Vegas and will showcase keynotes from many big name companies.

The new teaser post is vague but says: "A true innovation of TV design is coming up with a unprecedented new TV shape and timeless design."

There was one picture added, but it really does not give much detail either except to potentially show a TV in portrait design rather than the landscape mode every other TV is built.

We will see on January 8th.

Previous Next  

9 user comments

11.1.2013 01:31

I'm having trouble thinking of why anyone would want a portrait mode tv. It really doent make sense to me.

21.1.2013 02:07

Originally posted by 21Q:
I'm having trouble thinking of why anyone would want a portrait mode tv. It really doent make sense to me.
I know. Sometimes people try too hard to think outside of the box. I really hope this isn't one of those cases and they aren't actually trying to sell portrait televisions as the next big thing. I still have a lot of respect for Samsung and wish to keep it that way.

31.1.2013 13:58

Originally posted by 21Q:
Ok so I'm on board with you for this BUT...........always thought one cool thing to have with my current setup of a PC integrated with my home theatre system would be a 'portrait' 52" right next to my standard, landscape 52" setup.

That way when things that are portrait like pics and pdf docs come about.......you can watch it natively.

But yeah..........this thing is ridiculous and looks like a window. Seems Samsung is trying to make it look like that for integration into the home with a bit more Feng Shui.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Jan 2013 @ 1:59

41.1.2013 14:12

Welp, we all would have to redo our entire movie collection to be portrait format cause landscape(widescreen) just wouldn't look that good on this thing.

51.1.2013 14:17

they have monitors that can rotate from landscape to portrait. How about a tv that can do that too?

61.1.2013 17:01

I think this is an example of the see through TVs they were showcasing last year at the electronic conferences. It's an interesting concept but I really don't think they are aimed at the home consuner. But anyway after the crappy TVs they have been making, they need something good. 95% of Samsungs LEDs had light unformity problems, along with other serious issues and that's why when I bought my new TV I went with Sharps 3D 240hz LED. Sharp and LGs TVs completly decimated Samsung. Go into any store and see a side by side comparison of those 3, Sharp wins every time with the exception of a few very high end LGs (and one old model, go figure). This is why I never understood why people swear by samsung, their TVs are garbage (way to many issues, read some people's reviews on Amazon just to start. Their phones on the other hand I do stand behind and won't buy anything but them, but when it comes to their TVs I can't believe what overpriced crap they are.

71.1.2013 20:24

lets see what they have instore

82.1.2013 11:37

Originally posted by Bigwillyz:
I think this is an example of the see through TVs they were showcasing last year at the electronic conferences. It's an interesting concept but I really don't think they are aimed at the home consuner. But anyway after the crappy TVs they have been making, they need something good. 95% of Samsungs LEDs had light unformity problems, along with other serious issues and that's why when I bought my new TV I went with Sharps 3D 240hz LED. Sharp and LGs TVs completly decimated Samsung. Go into any store and see a side by side comparison of those 3, Sharp wins every time with the exception of a few very high end LGs (and one old model, go figure). This is why I never understood why people swear by samsung, their TVs are garbage (way to many issues, read some people's reviews on Amazon just to start. Their phones on the other hand I do stand behind and won't buy anything but them, but when it comes to their TVs I can't believe what overpriced crap they are.
They've had buzzing issues alone for years now. Whenever I look for a new TV, Sharp always ends up being my best choice.

94.1.2013 11:17

You hang it on a swivel.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive