AfterDawn: Tech news

'Hackulous' shut down for good

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 31 Dec 2012 9:23 User comments (8)

'Hackulous' shut down for good

One of the world's most famous cracked app communities has shut down for good.
Hackulous, along with Apptrackr and Installous have all been disabled, with the community's operators claiming there was a lack of activity.

Installous was used by jailbroken iOS users to transfer cracked apps to their devices while Apptrackr was the index of all the apps.

Reads the official announcement: "We are very sad to announce that Hackulous is shutting down. After many years, our community has become stagnant and our forums are a bit of a ghost town. It has become difficult to keep them online and well-moderated, despite the devotion of our staff. We're incredibly thankful for the support we've had over the years and hope that new, greater communities blossom out of our absence."

Installous had been installed over 3 million times on iOS devices like the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad but the software has now been remotely disabled.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

11.1.2013 03:15

To say Hackulous shut down due to some sort of stagnant forums is like saying Pirate Bay is shutting down due to lack of interest. I'm sure there is a bigger part to this story that isn't being revealed.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Jan 2013 @ 3:16

21.1.2013 03:52

Great news for developers . iPhone will be the only future for quality pay First apps

31.1.2013 11:27

Bad because without hacked apps several apps cannot be fixed i.e imovie for iphone wont run on the iphone 3gs without it being hacked even though the phone has a camera

what you dont notice is that apps where also hacked because apple stopped updating certain ios devices like the ipad 1 and the iphone 2g so people where hacking the device to keep there device running

42.1.2013 07:15

Most hackers are moving to android . And most ios users realizing jailbreak is over rated.

52.1.2013 13:44

Uh so with this and the hits even the usenet community has taken lately...Are we losing the battle? Seems we're running out of safe places to share files these days...hacked, cracked or otherwise.

64.1.2013 14:11

nzb indexing sites have all but vanished and now apps indexer sites - these will be stories for my grandchildren someday.

76.1.2013 15:22
yesss
Unverified new user

Originally posted by mrp73:
To say Hackulous shut down due to some sort of stagnant forums is like saying Pirate Bay is shutting down due to lack of interest. I'm sure there is a bigger part to this story that isn't being revealed.

thats 100% true i think its a cover story for what really happened....

87.1.2013 09:50
piverson
Inactive

Look we all take for granted the hard work that goes into cracking these app's. I have always been grateful but the truth is there is a lot of behind the scenes things that we have NO idea of what goes on. I have used both ios and android although ios is the BEST !! there's a lot to be said about using android !!! NO drama and easy to use....But the quality in the IOS world is Undeniable.....So I guess the moral of the story is if you plan on using apple in the cracked world ....then expect some DELAYS !!!! as its always going to be hard to keep ONE step ahead of apple.............. Keep up the hard work hackers we all appreciate you and donate every time we can or when you ask us to ........THNX

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive