AfterDawn: Tech news

Does new Microsoft countdown imply Xbox 8 coming at E3?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 03 Jan 2013 7:13 User comments (9)

Does new Microsoft countdown imply Xbox 8 coming at E3?

Microsoft has stirred the pot a little bit today, throwing up a countdown to a major announcement at this year's E3 trade show in June.
Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, Microsoft's director of programming for Xbox Live, posted the countdown to his very popular blog and Twitter feed earlier today.

There was little to accompany the countdown except for the words "Countdown to E3 2013" and "And it's on..."

Microsoft will have its E3 presentation on June 11th, in which the big announcement will be revealed.

While of course there is a chance that there is no new Xbox coming, the timing is right as the console has long been expected to be made available for the holiday season.

The rumored device will have a Blu-ray drive, Kinect 2, 3D sound, "always on" standby mode like ultrabooks and eventually augmented reality glasses.

Previous Next  

9 user comments

14.1.2013 14:12

Yet just as PS3 didn't have games that were GENERATIONS ahead of XBox or PC to sincerely take advantage of the more powerful PS3 hardware............the next XBox will also use the same technology regarding current games and therefore........WHAT'S THE POINT OF INTRODUCING A NEW XBox????????

It's not like developers are waiting around twiddling thumbs for hardware manufacturers to make something that will play the 'new' games that can't already be played now.

New XBox is a waste and so is new PS4. PC still blows them all away.

25.1.2013 00:47

Wow PC fanboy much. . . . . .
Console owners don't want the hassle of a compter, they want to plug in and go.
Say you want to play at your friends that doesn't have a comparable PC, what are you going to do, pack up yours, I doubt it.

This debate has been going on forever, they're just two totally different style gamers.
I have both and I'd choose consoles any day. People don't want to use the same thing they been staring at all day to game with and that's a fact.

O and by the way who gets game releases 1st? I thought so.

The New systems are a waste. . . lol I think your $350 video card is a waste too

35.1.2013 02:13

Originally posted by Bigwillyz:
Wow PC fanboy much. . . . . .
Console owners don't want the hassle of a compter, they want to plug in and go.
Say you want to play at your friends that doesn't have a comparable PC, what are you going to do, pack up yours, I doubt it.

This debate has been going on forever, they're just two totally different style gamers.
I have both and I'd choose consoles any day. People don't want to use the same thing they been staring at all day to game with and that's a fact.

O and by the way who gets game releases 1st? I thought so.

The New systems are a waste. . . lol I think your $350 video card is a waste too
I don't consider myself a gamer, but these statements require me to interject.

1) My PC is a beast, and I COULD pack it around :p My PC tower, a keyboard, and a mouse are all I require to pack around. Maybe a portable hard drive. But their audio receiver should be plenty fine for the occasion. And an HDTV would serve fine for plug and play.

2) How do you figure not wanting to play a game on a pc that you use daily? Kind of a silly statement don't you think?

3) I've been under the impression that consoles get their release first, so the developers get more return sooner for their efforts. A pc game is easier hacked than a consoles(or at least a stronger probability for piracy). But then, I believe all current consoles have been hacked. So perhaps there is some other logic to consoles getting releases first. There's a larger population interested in simpler gaming. Consoles accomplish that, because there's no need to configure for the most part. And they're cheaper, because their hardware is outdated, and priced to sell...

My graphics processor cost $300. I can play most modern games at a fluid (high quality) setting. It's when I apply anti aliasing settings when the graphics processor begins to bust its butt ;)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Jan 2013 @ 2:26

45.1.2013 06:13

consoles are optimised for gaming and the graphics on pc are not that much better than xbox360 or ps3.plus i dont have to spend $300 for a new video card for a ps3 to play the latest games.or run software to edit the registry to use a controller (yes most pc games require xbox360 controller or changes to the registry if you want to use a standard pc controller, can always use keyboard i suppose.)

as for microsoft i dont think the news is the new xbox i think they just implied that as an advertising gimmick.if it is the new xbox i dont think it will have major improvements anyway.

55.1.2013 12:45

I don't have to spend $300 for the latest game either. Only if I were hell bent on a particularly high framerate, and the game were highly demanding. Like Crysis.

Crysis would be a good example of Console vs PC. Crysis had to be dumbed down to run on the consoles. A lot of graphics are missing, because the consoles would not be able to run it. Grand Theft auto 4 in my opinion does not look that good on the PS3. It's totally agreeable, but it looks better on my PC :p Games are dumbed down to run on consoles... :p

I guess we'll see what Microsoft is counting down to. If it's the next xbox... I won't be buying it. I own a Nintendo Wii(modified). I rarely use it.

66.1.2013 15:27

Awesome I'm glad I said something to start a good debate. It seems like all the developers are moving to mobile gaming now anyway which really sucks, there is a looong wait I've noticed lately between decent console and even PC releases. Yes mobile gaming is good for a quick fix when you sitting around but seriously when is the last time a mobile game pulled you in and immersed you in the environment. . . never.

It kinda makes me nervous where this all is heading and now supposedly Sony wants to make their new system not run used games.... screw that. Stop charging $63 a pop, cut it in half and maybe we'll consider it.

On the other subject yes PCs blow consoles out of the water tech wise but a huge chunk of us don't have it hooked to our big screen nor have the room. I don't want to take up my tv to browse or work, that's what the monitor is for

77.1.2013 18:56

In my opinion, the primary difference that sets the PC apart from the consoles is the ease with which you can mod your games. From Skyrim to Minecraft, PC games are being modded to add features and new methods of play, something that is not easily done in the closed environment of the consoles. Some of the most popular PC games started out as mods, such as DOTA and Counterstrike.

I don't advocate one system over the other. I am looking forward to the new Xbox and Playstation as they are starting to show their age.

87.1.2013 21:02

nup 360 & jtags are the last consoles i'll buy ,from this point on it's pc all the way,you want portability at an affordable price no prob get a slim or form factor hey guess what it'll play movies & anything else without having to jump thru stink'n hoops, yeah man f'em all those console makers i'm done with consoles the only unit that was any good was the original xbox & that required a softmod or chip so from my chipped xbox here's a golden shower (que yellow rain)

98.1.2013 13:57

my kids have the xbox 360 ( and will want the new one too but i will wait till next xmas too purchase it after it has been out for a while ) and they only have about 6 or 7 games of which two get played regularly black ops 2 and skyrim ( ok once in a while they play black ops 1 )

it seems that some game developers are saying win 8 and games don't mix so i think i might be getting a OUYA for 99 bucks with 1 controller and i think at worst i could hack it and put the latest android 4.2 on it and use it as my homemade " google tv " !

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive