AfterDawn: Tech news

The Pirate Bay was temporarily down for the world today

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Jan 2013 10:06 User comments (28)

The Pirate Bay was temporarily down for the world today Earlier today, pirates were saddened when they tried to reach their haven, The Pirate Bay.
For a couple of hours, The Pirate Bay went offline, globally, including proxy sites linked to it.

The site is back up now, and there was little word on the downtime, so it can most likely be attributed to technical difficulties.

There had been a rumor that ISPs were blocking the site again, but they proved to be untrue.

Previous Next  

28 user comments

17.1.2013 05:37

The world sighed a collective >phew!<
Seriously, when will the mpaa/riaa/douchebags get it? The Pirate Bay will go down when its administrators decide to hang up their hats and not before.

27.1.2013 06:39

Originally posted by DDR4life:
Seriously, when will the mpaa/riaa/douchebags get it? The Pirate Bay will go down when its administrators decide to hang up their hats and not before.
No, not even then. The fact is The Pirate Bay is more then just a website now, its an idea, and a political cause. It is run not by admins or mods, but by the community. By humanity and all its people. And as such, we will never let the good ship down.

37.1.2013 11:38

While that's a nice sentiment, if The Pirate Bay's admins decide (or are forced) to take it down, it dies. The community — and the rest of the planet — *does not* maintain their servers, it's that simple.

Don't get complacent and think TPB isn't always in a precarious position.

47.1.2013 11:50
PepePecas
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Red_Forman:
No, not even then. The fact is The Pirate Bay is more then just a website now, its an idea, and a political cause. It is run not by admins or mods, but by the community. By humanity and all its people. And as such, we will never let the good ship down.
Mmmmmmm... stealing other people property, a cuase for the humanity... hard to believe all human history to this...

The big companies ("artists") make their movies and music for the profit not for the "humanity", if you dont want them to be the giant them are... dont buy or steal their music/movies... the fact you think them sell it very expensive don´t gave you the right to steal it...

STEAL IS WRONG!!!

Make your own music and enjoy it, and gift it if you want... no other people stuff.

In my case I don´t hear music I don´t think it worth if... prefer hear nothing to steal it.

57.1.2013 11:57

Originally posted by PepePecas:
Mmmmmmm... stealing other people property, a cuase for the humanity... hard to believe all human history to this...

The big companies ("artists") make their movies and music for the profit not for the "humanity", if you dont want them to be the giant them are... dont buy or steal their music/movies... the fact you think them sell it very expensive don´t gave you the right to steal it...

STEAL IS WRONG!!!

Make your own music and enjoy it, and gift it if you want... no other people stuff.

In my case I don´t hear music I don´t think it worth if... prefer hear nothing to steal it.
Um.....Whose SIDE are ya on?!?!?

67.1.2013 13:02

STEAL IS WRONG!!!

Yeah right, I suppose you've never stolen a paper clip or pencil from the office, or used the company copier to copy your personal documents. I guess I will stop stealing paper clips and pencils from the office, you've made me feel so guilty.....................In the mean time I plan on downloading torrent Downton Abbey via utorrent when I get home from work.

77.1.2013 13:11
Jacks Back
Unverified new user

Long live The Pirate Bay

87.1.2013 13:51

Beware the new looming invisible elephant in the room... google/android and long time apple. Everyone is pushing cloud storage and no memory expansion, these are all in an effort to quietly destroy piracy. Think about it, you have to store your documents on their servers and they get to see everything you store and then they can decide if it is legal or not for you to have and no expandable memory means you can't store your own files how you want to. The average person may want cloud storage but not me...

97.1.2013 14:03

Originally posted by harhumph:
Beware the new looming invisible elephant in the room... google/android and long time apple. Everyone is pushing cloud storage and no memory expansion, these are all in an effort to quietly destroy piracy. Think about it, you have to store your documents on their servers and they get to see everything you store and then they can decide if it is legal or not for you to have and no expandable memory means you can't store your own files how you want to. The average person may want cloud storage but not me...
My thoughts exactly. I store nothing in the cloud!!!

107.1.2013 14:18

me neither.

117.1.2013 22:12

Only an idiot would store illegal stuff in a cloud server anyway!

Why not just store it on the MPAA or RIAA servers if you are really trying to get caught?

Pretty much the same thing.

Using cloud storage for illegal stuff goes beyond stupid but some people have to learn this the hard way.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2013 @ 10:14

127.1.2013 23:02

Yea I'll never use cloud storage either. I don't need no corporate lames lurkin' my shit, pardon me.

I mean the idea is great. Have access to all of your stuff anywhere! But being that there is so many real world problems with it, I don't understand how it excites anyone.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2013 @ 11:04

137.1.2013 23:18

Originally posted by ivymike:

STEAL IS WRONG!!!

PepePecas
Unverified new user
pretty obvious this is a studio ringer. just signed up to champion the cause. Pathetic.

148.1.2013 10:19

Cloud storage, when used as an additional storage option (as opposed to the only option), definitely has its place. For example, game saves on Steam are auto-backed-up to the cloud every time you exit a Steam game. This feature is damn useful; I can play a game on one PC, then continue/finish it on another, with ease.

Where cloud storage is NOT OK is for sensitive and/or crucial data, You're at the mercy of the cloud provider; if they decide to hold your data hostage to fees, or if if they screw up your data some way, you're simply hosed, with no recourse.

The idea of "the cloud" was originally fronted by M$, and was specifically stated to be a new, constant "revenue stream" for corporations; IT HAS NO OTHER REAL PURPOSE.

158.1.2013 10:44
PepePecas
Unverified new user

Originally posted by jookycola:
Originally posted by ivymike:

STEAL IS WRONG!!!

PepePecas
Unverified new user
pretty obvious this is a studio ringer. just signed up to champion the cause. Pathetic.

Sorry, but not... truth is hard.

Explain me how doing it is not stealing and I shut my mouth off (in this case my fingers)...

This "revolution" is going the wrong way... if you are not happy with big companies being so big... don´t make them BIGGER stealing his stuff... create your own stuff and gift them (I know don´t sound so inspiring)...

168.1.2013 11:26

First off, PepePecas, you're going to have to show how copying intellectual property (NOT selling it, which becomes fraud) is "theft".

The simple answer? It isn't. Not even close. While certainly illegal under civil law, it's not a criminal violation, unlike theft. It really is that simple. For example, if I steal a car from a dealership, that's clearly theft. If, however, I buy a car, then use that information to build identical cars at a fraction of the price and give them away free, that is clearly NOT theft; the original was paid for! It's *wrong*, but it's also already covered under civil law.

Civil offenses are not equivalent to criminal offenses, no matter how you huff and puff.

And last, both stealing and IP (intellectual property) violations cost companies money. It certainly doesn't make them bigger.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2013 @ 12:04

178.1.2013 13:09
PepePecas
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Bozobub:
First off, PepePecas, you're going to have to show how copying intellectual property (NOT selling it, which becomes fraud) is "theft".

The simple answer? It isn't. Not even close. While certainly illegal under civil law, it's not a criminal violation, unlike theft. It really is that simple. For example, if I steal a car from a dealership, that's clearly theft. If, however, I buy a car, then use that information to build identical cars at a fraction of the price and give them away free, that is clearly NOT theft; the original was paid for! It's *wrong*, but it's also already covered under civil law.

Civil offenses are not equivalent to criminal offenses, no matter how you huff and puff.

And last, both stealing and IP (intellectual property) violations cost companies money. It certainly doesn't make them bigger.
OK, make your own version of Robocop, Terminator, Titanic, Gangman Style, etc... and gift them... and surely big companies will not have as much problem with it...

I´m talking with downloading the original version knowing this is not free, from an unauthorized place, knowing is wrong... And I´m not blaming directly PirateBay (but we all know its purpose) or else, the problem are the users... If I leave the door of my house open doesn´t gave you the right to take my stuff...

And last, the perfect example that stealing their IP make them bigger is Microsoft, I remeber how easy was to copy and install without restrictions from v3.1 to xp, and them know it... but know they dominate by 85-90% OS market share... not to talk about how much money they made.

188.1.2013 14:44

Again, you're confused. Step back and take a deep breath.

I did NOT say digital piracy wasn't wrong. It is NOT, however — unless you sell the content to someone else, which is copyright fraud — a crime.

You're going to have to learn to stop equating theft (a crime) with violating IP (a civil violation). It's not the same thing, and you won't ever be able to make it the same thing. First google "criminal law", then google "tort law". No one is likely to listen to your point of view, if you start using hyperbole from the very start, you know.

Finally, while piracy arguably does increase market penetration to some small degree, what made Windows '95 so successful was its merits, not piracy; it was a quantum leap forward from 3.11. You may have forgotten MS-DOS but I have not, and while Windows 3.11 for Workgroups was well-made for its time, it had drastic limits. Anyone using the GUI for 3.11, then using '95, will see the improvement right away.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2013 @ 2:45

199.1.2013 00:58

pepepecas if you give someone $50 you shouldnt be able to control what they do with it.
if you sell someone a disc you shouldnt be able to control what they do with the contents on it.

209.1.2013 02:20

PepePecas is a copyright troll lol

219.1.2013 20:09

The answer lies in the difference between making a copy of something, and breaking into a company's offices and stealing the computers that contain their source code leaving them nothing.

Anyone who refuses to see a difference is probably not going to have their attitude changed by reading comments on the Internet, so that's all the effort I'm willing to put into it.

229.1.2013 23:44

I did NOT say digital piracy wasn't wrong. It is NOT, however — unless you sell the content to someone else, which is copyright fraud — a crime.

You're going to have to learn to stop equating theft (a crime) with violating IP (a civil violation). It's not the same thing, and you won't ever be able to make it the same thing. First google "criminal law", then google "tort law". No one is likely to listen to your point of view, if you start using hyperbole from the very start, you know.

Finally, while piracy arguably does increase market penetration to some small degree, what made Windows '95 so successful was its merits, not piracy; it was a quantum leap forward from 3.11. You may have forgotten MS-DOS but I have not, and while Windows 3.11 for Workgroups was well-made for its time, it had drastic limits. Anyone using the GUI for 3.11, then using '95, will see the improvement right away.
You're twisting everything that PepePecas said, into something he never did say, to fit your argument. You are wrong to do so, and PepePecas is right in what he said.

Basically, I believe that this from Post #17 is what he was trying to say all along.

I´m talking with downloading the original version knowing this is not free, from an unauthorized place, knowing is wrong... And I´m not blaming directly PirateBay (but we all know its purpose) or else, the problem are the users... If I leave the door of my house open doesn´t gave you the right to take my stuff...

And you don't think it is wrong and stealing? This isn't the same issue as copying something you purchased, for your own use. This is stealing something that you did not pay for.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Jan 2013 @ 11:48

2310.1.2013 00:41

Originally posted by GrandpaBW:

You're twisting everything that PepePecas said, into something he never did say, to fit your argument. You are wrong to do so, and PepePecas is right in what he said.

Basically, I believe that this from Post #17 is what he was trying to say all along.

And you don't think it is wrong and stealing? This isn't the same issue as copying something you purchased, for your own use. This is stealing something that you did not pay for.

Again, no, not even close. I'll reference you to the quoted text in bold, when I reiterate: While wrong, digital piracy, of itself, is NOT a crime. That's how the law is written — at least in the US — no matter how you argue otherwise.

I'll say it once more: Digital piracy is not a crime, it's a civil violation, and is strictly defined as such for several very good reasons. It's just not the same thing. Theft, after all, deprives the original owner of the stolen object, while making an illicit copy does not.

Until you can come up with an actual counterpoint, I'm going to have to throw that "You're twisting everything that PepePecas said, into something he never did say, to fit your argument" line right back in your face.

I put it to you that until proponents of stronger IP protection learn to debate the actual point at hand, they're doomed to fail.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jan 2013 @ 12:44

2410.1.2013 03:41

@grandpaBW
if the contents are still there after someones copied them its not theft.if it was theft the original item would be gone.

2510.1.2013 12:03
PepePecas
Unverified new user

Originally posted by warriorp:
PepePecas is a copyright troll lol
Again, sorry but not... unfortunately this is always the way to try to discredit someone's comments that puts you into the corner ... be more creative please... argue something...

2610.1.2013 12:23
PepePecas
Unverified new user

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
pepepecas if you give someone $50 you shouldnt be able to control what they do with it.
if you sell someone a disc you shouldnt be able to control what they do with the contents on it.
Thats OK, if you sell "your" disc to someone, but after you sell it you lose the property of it (includes copies or backups), sorry but those are the terms on wich you bought it (unless is not, but most), if dont like it don´t buy it... and what the guy who you sell it do with it is his problem.

This matter is difficult to compare with physicall stuff, you can made a copy of your $50 bill that you gave, trying to use the copy is illegal and mostly wrong... and really don't recommend you to do it.

2710.1.2013 12:50

The reason the matter "is difficult to compare with physical stuff", is because it's not the same thing.

Let's review:
- Digital piracy, while arguably wrong/immoral, is not a crime. It's defined as a civil violation (copyright infringement), and is subject to tort law.
- Selling an unauthorized copy is copyright fraud, a crime.
- Copying money is specifically defined as a felony under criminal law, and so is the use of said counterfeit money. Your example is deeply flawed.

tl;dr? Fine. US law says copyright infringement is not a crime. Using anything as an example or metaphor that IS a crime, automatically fails. Please stop. Moral is not necessarily legal, any more than immoral is necessarily illegal. You're harming your own argument by trying to argue for a false equivalency.

P.S. I refer to US law because that's what I'm most familiar with, but most nations with a legal system worth crap are very careful to keep the divide between tort and criminal law.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jan 2013 @ 12:51

2817.1.2013 03:35

@Bozobub
Could not have said it better myself.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive