AfterDawn: Tech news

WSJ: Apple cutting iPhone orders due to weak demand

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 13 Jan 2013 11:46 User comments (16)

WSJ: Apple cutting iPhone orders due to weak demand According to the WSJ, Apple has begun cutting component orders for the iPhone 5 due to weak demand.
For example, Apple has cut its orders for iPhone 5 displays by 50 percent for the January-to-March quarter, say the sources.

Additionally, the company is slashing orders for other components, as well, letting their suppliers know over the last month.

If accurate, the news is a massive blow for Apple, who was banking on strong iPhone 5 sales to better compete with Samsung in the race for global smartphone dominance.

During the fourth quarter of 2011, Apple had a 23 percent market share of global smartphone shipments. That number fell to 14.6 percent by the Q3 2012. Samsung, on the other hand, rose to 31.3 percent in the quarter thanks to the popularity of their Android workhorses, the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II.

Previous Next  

16 user comments

114.1.2013 00:03

Who else smiled when they read this?

214.1.2013 00:17

Originally posted by PraisesToAllah:
As I've said for every company in the past who went down the same path...if you stop innovating, sayonara and thanks for the memories.

314.1.2013 02:04

WHAT!? You aren't ready to "upgrade" yet!

414.1.2013 02:58

:-) their cocky asses needed to be taken down a peg. My cell provider sold their soul to get the Iphone and this was bound to happen. Sprint has screwed all their loyal customers because of how much they had to pay to get it and I still resent them for it. Maybe all the mindless drones are finally wising up....... but I doubt it
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jan 2013 @ 2:59

514.1.2013 13:05

I did

614.1.2013 13:12

I would blame this on market saturation more than lack of innovation. Almost everyone who wants/can afford an iPhone already has one at this point. The product has left growth stage and reached it's maturity stage. Now marketing efforts will be focused on retaining existing customers rather than obtaining new ones or they will increase product differentiation (like a cheaper version of the iPhone)

I, however, still stand behind the fact that Apple has never innovated anything. Jobs was just a marketing genius.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jan 2013 @ 1:14

714.1.2013 15:26

Originally posted by Azuran:
I would blame this on market saturation more than lack of innovation. Almost everyone who wants/can afford an iPhone already has one at this point. The product has left growth stage and reached it's maturity stage.
Especially when the "upgrade" is nothing substantial. They really screwed their normal product life cycle by forcing this lightning connector on people. For those of us that have been with Apple since the iPod and latched onto similar products to stay within their ecosystem, it's a slap in the face.

Why do I want to buy all new peripherals for my household? Oh, there's an adapter? Oh it's $30+! Yeah...

814.1.2013 15:38

Now they will make the screen bigger and sell more this summer.

914.1.2013 15:43

Lightning connector is highway robbery and the end of my patronage with Apple. Now I love my Galaxy Tab2. All great empires come and go. Bye bye microsoft and bye bye Apple.

1014.1.2013 16:17

Goood stuff!

1114.1.2013 16:29

actually here is what is causing this.

1. at&t wont let people upgrade to a iphone 5 until there upgrade date which is usually one year after the contract was started which creates less demand because people cannot go to the new phone because at&t wont let them

1214.1.2013 18:32

I smiled and frowned at the same time. Smiled only to see Apple cut back; frowned when I still see the high prices for the phones not through contract.

1314.1.2013 20:25

I would blame this on market saturation more than lack of innovation. Almost everyone who wants/can afford an iPhone already has one at this point. The product has left growth stage and reached it's maturity stage. Now marketing efforts will be focused on retaining existing customers rather than obtaining new ones or they will increase product differentiation (like a cheaper version of the iPhone)
No chance this is saturation when the global smartphone market still growing at 60 percent clip year-over-year...

1414.1.2013 20:50

I did.

1514.1.2013 21:12

I did.

1616.1.2013 02:32

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
No chance this is saturation when the global smartphone market still growing at 60 percent clip year-over-year...

In the world it might be growing but split the growth across the markets and it'll be a different story, china is currently the big sell to market in the world main reason why you see a 60% growth spurt.

goto the US market where you have around 300 million people owning an iphone and the reason to buy another iphone is completely different.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive