1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade of dm800 hd

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by nellymcd, Jan 23, 2013.

1. nellymcd

nellymcd Member

Hi,

Anyone advise if it would be worth upgrading an older dm800hd clone to a dm800se, vu+ duo or similiar?

My older box is noisy, sometimes crashes and I power it down when not in use, as I don't fully trust it safety wise.

Thanks,

N

2. e45

e45 Regular member

Why not try the Blade 7000Hd great box the picture is crystal clear or you could go for the Hd media box another HD box and supposed to be excellent highly rated by Mickhab, the f3 is another good budget box and is full hd as well so you have plenty of scope for what you need, have a read about and then decide what you want.

have a look at dcreceiver.co.uk

3. piopat

piopat Active member

you can buy vu+ solo clones quite cheaply (all be it from asia) under £90 (about €110)delivered ,ive got one my self works great .there are lots of plugins aswell such as youtube (you can watch youtube on your tv via your box ) and other simillar plugins . you can get rte and tv3 player plugins if you live in ireland .its got 1channel for free movies and even an iptv plugin ,not bad for the relatively low price .

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

well the noisy issue would be because the internal fan is catching with most likely the tuner. Its just a matter of opening the box (two screws one on each side, and then two screws at the back and then lift the top off. I would then suggest you remove the tuner and have a look to see if something has become lodged in the fan. As for crashing sometimes well thats typical with many early dreambox images. why not upgrade the image to a more recent version and all should be good. saves you a few pennies :)

5. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

my fan justbecame too loud but wasnt catching so i disconnected it and used a netbook cooler (that actually came free with the dreambox...... so me thinks its a common fault on the dreambox clones,

6. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

neat. as a word of caution i would recommend what tongs says. while disconnecting the fan may solve the noise issue, the dm800 is so compact it does require heat extraction. so if disconnecting the fan removes the noise it is important to have an alternative solution for cooling the components of the box

7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Por...I65O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359575886&sr=8-2 thats what i got, it just plugs in to the usb port on the dm800

8. lukeian5

lukeian5 Member

I had a noisey fan too in my dm800hd, I opened it up, removed the back plate, removed the tuner, removed the fan, removed the sticker from the fan, put a little vaseline in the hole & replaced the sticker, connected everything again & happy days, but I also have a lappy cooler under it, just to be sure lol

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Pat, where can you get the tv3 plugins?

10. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

saw this on a different site MICKAH might work havent tried it ! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31328853/3player Alpha 2.zip