1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming ITX build - Advise needed

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by GTR35, Jan 23, 2013.

1. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Hi, recently I've decided on building a ITX build just for gaming as well as easy to take around (Lan purposes).
    Anyways, here are the parts that I've ordered and will be moving from my current pc.

***Ordered Parts***

CPU - Intel i5 3570k
    (Will Order Corsair H60 cpu water cooler OR Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer later)
    Mobo - AsRock Z77E ITX
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 1600 2 x 8GB
    Case - Lian Li PC-Q08

***Moving from current PC***
    SSD - ADATA 128GB
    PSU - Zalman ZM600-HP 600w

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Monitor - Samsung T240 (For now)

As for the GPU, i'm currently using PowerColor HD6850 1GB, was good few months back.
    So now I've decided to upgrade my GPU but can't decide which one to get.

Build A with: Nvidia GTX 670 2GB or ATi 7950 3GB
    Build B with: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB or ATi 7970 3GB (Might need to save up more)

I'm not sure if my PSU is able to handle Build B with just 600w and planning to OC the Cpu soon, and from some reviews ATi cards tend to draw more power than Nvidia?

Or Build C with: GTX660Ti 3GB or HD7870 2GB and save some money for future upgrade?

Note: I'm trying to build a gaming PC that doesn't draw too much power and will last me atleast 3+ years.

Thank You for your time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I've actually owned that motherboard, and that same case, both were great for a Mini-ITX build! You seem to have the right components for a gaming rig, and I can see you wanting a Mini-ITX if you were going to LAN Parties, that's why I'm building a new rig, Mini-ITX as well.

Only suggestion I'd have would be to maybe just go with the i7 Processor over the i5, will run a lot better, and truly a gaming machine.

I think you'd be fine with the GTX 660Ti, and that's got 3GB Memory which is a plus. I personally have the 640 right now, and haven't had any issues with it yet.

Other then that, I think you've got a solid rig there!

3. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Hi

Thanks! This is in fact a lovely build!so small and compact, but it sure is a little pain to put it together with the cables, since there is no back panel to do proper cable management. In the end i did manage to sort everything out.

As for the GPU, I think i'll stick with my HD6850 1GB, after good cleaning and reapply thermal paste as well as a clean install of windows...it sure is still a good card to keep for another few months ^^

But now, I'm having trouble deciding cpu cooling! I'm holding myself back from overclocking the i5 3570k...not sure which closed loop water cooling will fit nicely in this case though.

Thanks

GTR

4. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

If you're looking for a liquid cooler, this is the one I was planning on using for my Mini-ITX build:

CORSAIR Hydro series H50

5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

haha yeah, I was thinking for either Corsair Hydro series or Thermaltake, but I've asked a few people, they said, for this setup its best to look for a watercooler with thinner radiators.

But also, doesn't the mSata port located on the back of the motherboard get in the way of mounting the brackets? Unless you have done it yourself...

Thanks

GTR