1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell inspiron 1750

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by neilcolt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Hi ,
    I have a dell inspiron 1750 with no original installation disk(lost),and it fails to boots and will not repair and has no restore point.
    I dont think I can get any further with it ,however I was reading the HDD of the dell using a HDD reader and I found that it has a restore partition.How to get to this partion i do not know.
    Plus when it fails to boot and the windows 7 repair facility comes up it says it cannot be repaired.
    I did find using the HDD reader it has a 6gig file named dell recovery wim file.??Can i do anything with this.
    I can access D: drive from command prompt.This recovery may have been wiped out also.
    The HDD is reading ok from the HDD reader.
    Is there anyway I can restore from this recovery partition?????
    It cannot use the normal restore facility from the repair tools as i have tried this.
    Help appreciated.
    NeilC

2. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Forgot to mention windows 7 was originally installed.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

I get as far as pressing F8-get advanced recovery options,i then get system recovery options,
    I select keyboard-the username on this installation is "home",it has not got a password installed however if i leave it blank and press ok,I do not get the dell factory reset option.
    I only get the other options without the reset(which is what i need).
    The laptop has never had a password and in the username there is no administrator option.
    I can only guess the option in the username "home" has no administrator capability.
    I wonder if theres anyway I can log in with admin preferences.

5. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

This is the steps i cannot log on to do- as there is no admin account visable.
    3. Click Next and logon to the administrator account in the computer.
    4. Click Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe Options; Follow the directions provided.

6. neilcolt

neilcolt Regular member

Hi thanks for your help,
    I later found that the laptop had a recovery partition which should have worked for me but found this.
    The laptop was supplied by Dell Uk,but sold by the carphone warehouse.The laptop was originally supplied with Windows vista SP1 from build.
    However somewhere down the line windows 7 had been fitted on it which i didnt know at the time.So when i was trying to do the recovery it would not work vista-windows 7 mis match and the error kept telling me i couldnt recover.
    Wiped the C drive off then i was able to to recover.

Thanks again.
    NeilC

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, at least you got it working.