AfterDawn: Tech news

JJ Abrams to direct upcoming 'Star Wars' film

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 26 Jan 2013 12:21 User comments (11)

JJ Abrams to direct upcoming 'Star Wars' film

After weeks of rumor, Lucasfilm has confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct 2015's "Star Wars: Episode VII."
Reads Lucas' blog post:

After a bevy of emails and phone calls, the formalities have been wrapped up, and at long last everyone can exhale and properly share the word with an excited Internet. Yes, J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller." He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner."

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.

In October, Disney agreed to buy Lucasfilm in a deal worth $4.05 billion in stock and cash.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

126.1.2013 12:53

So I guess JJ is gonna quit the Star Trek franchise...wonder how much "extra" was he promised...

226.1.2013 14:34

Originally posted by cyprusrom:
So I guess JJ is gonna quit the Star Trek franchise...wonder how much "extra" was he promised...
Actually he is going to do both I read and is still on for a 3rd Star Trek Film

326.1.2013 18:41

Star trek is already done it's out in a few weeks.

426.1.2013 23:37

Originally posted by xtago:
Star trek is already done it's out in a few weeks.

Supposed to be a next one after...

527.1.2013 16:51

thought this franchise was done to death already seems they want to thrash it some more & get to Episode XII,this frik'n beast just won't die as for star trek if it's anything like the first i'll be looking forward to it

627.1.2013 17:26

scorp, which is Episode XII, star wars or star trek?

727.1.2013 17:49

Star Wars live action movies if i read it correctly

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episodes-7-9-trilogy/

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2013 @ 5:49

827.1.2013 18:04

it is episode 7 not 12 as to why i questioned your post about the 12?

927.1.2013 19:45

i was just commenting after i searched for more info & saw that they were going to do more episodes apart from 7 as it seemed odd there'd be a VII when the last movie finished the story

1028.1.2013 13:39

Star Wars was always written as a 9 chapter story, as far as I know.

1128.1.2013 18:01

Yes...it should be episode 7. The last movie only finished the first trilogy. This is the beginning of the third trilogy.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive