AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple unveils 128GB iPad

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 30 Jan 2013 12:57 User comments (18)

Apple unveils 128GB iPad

Apple has shown off a larger capacity iPad today.
The new tablet will be exactly the same as the current 4th-generation models, except with more internal storage and a higher price tag.

128GB models are the largest yet available from Apple.

Starting on February 5th, the tablet will be available for $799 for Wi-Fi-only and $929 for Wi-Fi + 4G.

"With more than 120 million iPads sold, it's clear that customers around the world love their iPads, and everyday they are finding more great reasons to work, learn and play on their iPads rather than their old PCs," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs."

Previous Next  

18 user comments

130.1.2013 01:14

YAWN!

230.1.2013 02:22
aeonstom0
Inactive

Now this is a Rip Off... I guess they have run out of innovated ideas. LOL

330.1.2013 02:24
aeonstom0
Inactive

fanbois will go for it like a good Dog.

430.1.2013 02:51

Shut up Philip, just shut up.

530.1.2013 03:08

The new tablet will be exactly the same as the current 4th-generation models, except with more internal storage and a higher price tag.

That shows just how many idiots there are that would buy this and get ripped off!

630.1.2013 07:25

Originally posted by aeonstom0:
Now this is a Rip Off... I guess they have run out of innovated ideas. LOL
To be fair, this isn't a new innovation and they know that. Hence the reason they didn't have a 2 hour press conference for this unveiling, and this announcement came mid-product cycle.

730.1.2013 08:15

So Apple found a way to make the iPad about as expensive as an M$ Surface Pro. Kudos! Too bad the Surface Pro has a real USB port and can use external storage and other standard USB devices, runs *real* software, and so on.

830.1.2013 09:18

This is why Apple is failing. No innovation, let's just have the same product for 6 years and change the number on the OS and make the storage bigger.

930.1.2013 10:10

Wowie. $799? Not worth it. Don't need it. Don't buy this.

This is going to be a dumb idea. I wonder if they will spend money to advertise this. Idiots will buy it anyways.

1030.1.2013 11:01

I have no love for Apple and will never buy their products, but you guys are being pretty rough on them. This is meant to compete with Android not Surface, and 128gb is a step in the right direction... Android does not get it and they still give you 8gb to 16gb for most tablets. Android needs to make 64gb standard and options for 128gb, but those do not exist... yet! Even if I would never buy this, it is nice to see that storage option exist somewhere out there now in a tablet. The Surface Pro is gimped because of its 4gb memory, it would be a no brainer with 8gb. At least Android and Apple only need 2gb ram for effectiveness.

1130.1.2013 15:24

The biggest problem is they way over charge on the memory to keep the margin up. For example. . Android 16g to 32 costs $50 more. . . Apple $100 more.

1230.1.2013 18:08

This whole problem could have been avoided if the iPad had the option for SDHC or SDXC cards to be used.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jan 2013 @ 6:09

1330.1.2013 18:09

Originally posted by harhumph:
I have no love for Apple and will never buy their products, but you guys are being pretty rough on them. This is meant to compete with Android not Surface, and 128gb is a step in the right direction... Android does not get it and they still give you 8gb to 16gb for most tablets. Android needs to make 64gb standard and options for 128gb, but those do not exist... yet! Even if I would never buy this, it is nice to see that storage option exist somewhere out there now in a tablet. The Surface Pro is gimped because of its 4gb memory, it would be a no brainer with 8gb. At least Android and Apple only need 2gb ram for effectiveness.
Completely false. Most devices that have a MicroSD card slot can take 128 GB MicroSD cards, even though they generally aren't rated at that capacity. And that also doesn't account for any internal storage. Of course, this is a big reason *not* to buy any device that doesn't have a MicroSD slot...

Just as bobiroc says, Apple could simply include a MicroSD card slot. Upgrade path solved.

I also doubt that the Surface Pro will have any issues with 4 GB RAM. It's not meant to be a gaming rig, you know.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jan 2013 @ 6:11

1430.1.2013 20:33

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Originally posted by harhumph:
Completely false. Most devices that have a MicroSD card slot can take 128 GB MicroSD cards, even though they generally aren't rated at that capacity. And that also doesn't account for any internal storage. Of course, this is a big reason *not* to buy any device that doesn't have a MicroSD slot...

Just as bobiroc says, Apple could simply include a MicroSD card slot. Upgrade path solved.

I also doubt that the Surface Pro will have any issues with 4 GB RAM. It's not meant to be a gaming rig, you know.
Clearly you are misinformed/not a techie. Windows 8 Pro needs almost 2 gig just to run with no programs running. Why pay almost $1,000 to get a machine that is using 50% of its memory resources before you even open a any program? Also microsdxc currently is only available up to 64gb at this writing. The trend for android seems to be no microsd slots on a good percentage of new devices (why this is the case I have no idea). Microsdxc transfer rate will always be slower than internal storage which in turn is slower than SSD. Yes you can get some tablets with 16 to 32 gb with microsdxc and pump them up with 64gb, that is what I have done. Still I would prefer 128gb internal with a microsdxc slot, but none exists yet, so I went with a ultrabook laptop as android can't bring the options I want. Full size sd cards you can now get to 256gb but for some weird reason no one uses them on their tablets (a shame).

1530.1.2013 22:24

First off, iPad 4s don't have 128 GB dynamic RAM or SSDs. They have the exact same slow-ass static RAM as found in a MicroSD card, albeit at a high speed class. Yes, it's internal, and yes, it has a somewhat larger bus than a card. Furthermore, it is quite easy to find quite a few references online to Win8 using 1-1.5 GB of RAM at any given time; in fact, it (on average) uses significantly less RAM than Win7. Guess what? Win7 and Win8 both run just fine on 4 GB of RAM.

Second, 128 GB MicroSD DO exist, but you are correct, in that my friends who have them are apparently using prototypes. The one I talked to about it said he was using some sort of Chinese knockoff (bought in Hong Kong), as well, so I wouldn't advise using 'em yet, even if you found one. So you got me there. Pardon me! I keep forgetting I've been hanging with DARPA types, since two of my buddies got jobs there recently ($85K a year to START! o.O' *envy envy envy*), so they get lots of very nice toys.

Third, why buy a Surface Pro, instead of an iPad 4? Because it's actually useful for business. You can use and develop software for Windows (for example, SAP will run, a seriously big deal for business), it can use REAL external devices via USB 3 (including SSDs in enclosures, btw), has a vast free software base, and so on.

Really, the main reason to buy a Surface Pro, rather than an iPad 4, is that the iPad, while nicely made, is still a *toy* (just like the Surface RT). There are some business uses, but the ecosystem just doesn't support the vast number of applications that Windows can offer.

It is far easier to develop and push software out to your business and/or market with a Windows-based system. Apple cannot approach the Windows install base. Not even close.

That said, it may surprise you to know that I honestly don't like either system much; they're both rather overpriced for what they offer. Nor do I particularly enjoy iOS or Win8. But of the two, if you're a business owner, for example, you're a fool to buy the iPad for professional use.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jan 2013 @ 10:26

1630.1.2013 23:45

I totally agree with you man, both are crappy and I would not buy either. I just am happy to see a tablet get more internal storage is all. I have two windows 8 ultrabooks and my HP uses 1.8 gig once the system boots and my Sony uses 2.1 gig, I am sure it varies by manufacturer and bloat installed. My HP has 12 gigs of RAM and my Sony has 8 gigs. I like windows 8 but just an opinion. Plus my ultrabook has 256 ssd with i7, it is a screamer for 1200 (only a few hundred more than than the devices we are talking about). Plus I have a full size sd card slot for 256gb more when and if space gets tight. Take that apple and google. Anywho not trying to go back and forth with you, we both have the same destination with varying opinions on the way to the endgame.

171.2.2013 15:40

i am looking for a tablet and i am wondering which one to get i have a ipod and it is kool for music,movies and apps but the i know windows in and out so i was thinking about the surface and i like my laptop but want a tablet which one do u think is a better choice with me, or should i go with a android. I like the 128gb storage options. So any good suggestions?

181.2.2013 17:56

Either the iPad series or the better Android tablets will work just fine for you, if all you want is a media consumption device, that happens to have "apps". If you want a more capable tablet, avoid the Surface RT like plague, bite the bullet, and buy a Surface Pro, but honestly, for 1/3-1/2 the cost you can get a more capable laptop.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive