1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to split one file into 2 burned discs....

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by chrisgrissett, Feb 2, 2013.

1. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

Okay, so the computer world is deviously designed so that you have to keep dishing out money for anything. I bought a computer 3 years ago, only to just now discover (after I spent more money on more expensive dual layer discs, and now that everyone is converting to dual layer discs and larger file sizes, for some moronic, idiotic reason) that the DVD burner I have doesn't support dual-layer burning. It's always something- UGH. Now, I refuse to buy a new burner when I can just buy a whole new computer later, which is what I will do (although said new computer will be outdated & obsolete in a year or two, so that i have to di$h out more money to stay on top of things). So, that said, how do I instead (using DVD Fab or Nero 12) split one large file into two smaller files, each capable of being burned to the less expensive, "old-fahsioned", but PERFECTLY FINE 4.7 GB DVD+Rs? And please don't just tell me to google, or give me a link to an online how-to guide (or what have you) which will further confuse me, especially if it's by Nero - their instructions for anything are crap. I need step-by-step instructions. Nero's "help" is NO HELP.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

best bet would be to convert whatever it is to dvd compliant files then split & burn,personally why waste money on dvd's at all when you have the file

http://www.dvdfab.com/tutorial

3. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

so that i can play it on my dvd player and watch it on my tv, versus watching it on my laptop screen which considerably lowers the quality and size. and also because all files ideally should be backed up to disc. leaving them on a computer is a big gamble. computers are vulnerable. everything needs to be physically backed up. what do u mean by 'split it into dvd compliant files' ?? - i have no idea what that even means. also, please explain how i would do that (versus providing links to tutorials that don't help).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i had a similar problem with a disc that was 6.5 gbs.dvd fab gave me the option of using 2 disc.i just selected main track and burnt that straight to the disc.
    using the option dvd to dvd customize split should work.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Won't work it appears its not a dvd

without the necessary info provided one assumes you have downloaded a mkv or mp4 file,this requires converting back to dvd (dvd compliant so as to be read by dvd player),which then can be split & burnt,the downside to splitting apart from switching discs is rejoining will most likely make audio/video out of sync on the second part that requires to be re-joined,how to convert well dvdfab may or you'll have to find a program that can,there's numerous freebies in software section or the web

video to video
    xmedia recode
    freemake
    format factory

6. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

okay, great - thanks so much, both of you! Yes, Scorp is right - it's not a dvd. It is a file on my computer (it's actually, so far, three different files i'm having the same problem with all of them). the file types in question are .avi and .mp4 Scorp- I tried using AnyDVD to rip an .ISO image of the file, then I disable AnyDVD and opened DVDFab (disabling AnyDVD is necessary for DVDFab to run properly), then in DVDFab (using its "Main Movie" feature), I tried burning the .ISO onto a disc, but DVDFab didn't even recognize the newly converted .ISO ...that said, I didn't however try it via DVDFab's "split file" option. But, if it didn't recognize the .ISO in "Main Movie" mode, I don't see how it would recognize it in "split file" mode. However, I will try it. Meantime, given this more detailed info, do you (or anyone) have any further insight to which you can give further suggestions/recommendations ? I will also try the some of the numerous freeware you directed me to here and on the web. Thx so much.

7. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

Scorp, what type of file am I supposed to convert the .avi or .mp4 to? obviously, with trying to burn main movie onto via DVDFab, DVDFab won't recognize it if it's converted into .ISO (at least not if it's converted into .ISO via AnyDVD), and as such, probably won't recognize same .ISO if I try splitting the file via DVDFab, either. That said, what other file type do I convert it to, in order for it to be DVD compliant? I will google, but in the meantime if you could provide some personal insight, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

fab should be able to convert it to dvd so if its an mp4 you want to convert look for mp4 to dvd or such like wording,if you've ever ripped a dvd movie direct from a dvd then you want a program that will do the same to the file you have so you end up with a VIDEO_TS folder with a stack of files inside,once its done you will need to play it from the hard drive to be sure audio/video are in sync & there's no playback issues this would also require imo to burn the newly create video_ts folder contents to a multi write dvd-rw disc as a test to be doubly sure then if ok burn to dvd-r

this is one of the reasons why i don't bother converting from file to dvd its a pain in the rear,dvd to file is easier..lol..as for backups i agree except i use hard drives for single files like you have it works out cheaper since you need good quality media to write too or it's a waste of time when you stat getting read errors.

9. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

kk, thx so much! :D

10. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

uummmm.....in DVDFab, there is no "MP4 to DVD" or any such. The only one for MP4 is "MP4 to MP4", which seems like a very odd & redundant option. (and "redundant" is NOT the only "R" word that came to mind for such an option, either). ugh. :/ ...this is beginning to be way more frustrating and pissy than it's worth. i'm beginning to want to give up and just watch the darn thing on my stupid laptop. Any other suggestions/guidance/advice?

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

OK for avi to dvd use dvdflick from software section there should be a tut with pictures in guides section link is at top of page,dvdfab has conversion ability between formats you sure its not there,anydvd is for ripping dvds only to convert you'd need clonemobile whether that'd work i don't know i bought it just never used it

doesn't a laptop have a vga/hdmi port on the rear that can connect direct to tv vga/hdmi,if its only vga then all you'd need apart from a vga cable would be the RCA cable that has the 3.5mm adapter at one end to plug into sound output of lappy (3.5mm jack/adapter is same like you'd see for mp3 player or headphones)

EDIT:-
    ATTENTION:
    DVDFAB has option to convert file to dvd the column to the left using fab 8 is called dvd creator,my terminology was wrong you want to create video dvd looks like i'll have to copy right "dvd compliant"..lol

there is another option fab has in the same column called video converter with option to convert to TS

DVDFAB 9 has option to convert to dvd called dvd creator

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  12. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

Okay, very cool. Thx so much for all your help, Scorp!! I really appreciate it. ;D *EDIT*- P.S. unfortunately, my laptop, bought in Jan 2010 (so prob manufactured in mid 2009), prob was made right before HDMI ports were a thing, so, no....mine did not come with one. :eek:( It was either the time/era, or the fact that I paid the econo price of $300 for it (it's an ACER Aspire 5532), that were the contributing factors of it not having an HDMI port. This was yet another rude awakening I had a couple/few mos. ago. :/ fml *additional EDIT** - my TV is ancient (it's a Sony Trinitron circa 2000 to 2002, so it came out just before HDMI was a thing with TVs), HOWEVER, I DO have a Smart Blu Ray player with an HDMI port connected to the TV via RCA plugs, so I'll check out that adapter option you spoke of.....my laptop DOES in fact have a VGA, however, I was told by a Fry's Electronics sales rep that the adapter/converter I need will cost me about $70 to $80. :eek:(( :'(

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

i know the trinitron you speak of,good tv in its day & nothing wrong with it nor with crt tvs as they give better picture color than any lcd ever could regardless if its hd,the detail on an hd lcd is excellent but the colors are just crap

the vga port would i assume only need a cable that has vga on one end & rca or possibly hdmi on the other,or just adaptor plugs,i use a dvi to vga adaptor plug on one monitor to my pc & on the other monitor dvi to hdmi on the other monitor plus the required 2 cables,theres also 1 dvi to hdmi adapter on one monitor with an hdmi cable between the two apadpters

1 dvi to vga apator $3.00
    vga cable came with monitor

2 dvi to hdmi adapters $3.00
    1 hdmi cable $10

none of the above parts are special or expensive,no need for bullshit monster cables etc that are a rip off,tho i would recommend gold plating on any exposed metal parts if you live in a humid or an area where it's moist atmosphere,that's what the gold plating is used for corrosion resistance nothing to do with better sound or picture..lol.

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dble post

15. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

You're awesome, Scorp! Thank you SO much for the help! YAAAY!!! I really appreciate this! Now maybe I can kiss burning to discs GOODBYE!! :D Thanks again! Please keep all your posts up, for my future reference, as I work on all this.

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

best thing to do is test vga direct from laptop to a vga monitor to be sure,however i see no reason for it not to work you just need to keep in mind you will still require a set of audio cables to provide sound output which can go to dvd player or tv or a separate stereo depending on how you decide to watch the movies (sound output will be separate from video output so can connect wherever you want it) & maybe get a wireless mouse depending on where you place laptop

17. chrisgrissett

chrisgrissett Member

Okay cool, thanks again!! :)