AfterDawn: Tech news

Jailbreak iOS 6.x with evasi0n - supports iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad Mini

Written by James Delahunty @ 04 Feb 2013 2:18 User comments (32)

Jailbreak iOS 6.x with evasi0n - supports iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad Mini

Team evad3rs bring untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.0 through 6.1.
The evasi0n tool was released today, with support for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini devices running iOS 6.x. It is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, and takes only a few minutes to complete.

You require...
  • 5 minutes of your time!
  • A computer, running Windows (XP minimum), Mac OS X (10.5 minimum) or Linux (x86 / x86_64)
  • An iPhone, iPad or iPod running iOS 6.0 through 6.1 (you may check in Settings / General / About => Version)
  • A USB cable to connect the device to the computer
I decided to test it out on my iPhone 4 (which I hadn't even updated to iOS 6 yet anyway until today) with the Windows tool.

NOTE: Jailbreaking is always done at your own risk! Users are having more success with this method if they first backup their device, then let iTunes completely restore it (which means it will restore to factory settings with the latest firmware, remember this method only works up to 6.1) and then run the jailbreak. You can retrieve your backups from iTunes / iCloud later. So that's an idea if you are having problems with the jailbreak.

The first thing to always remember is to backup the phone/tablet first. Don't take chances with your data, it doesn't take much to backup to your computer or to iCloud and might save you big time if something goes wrong and you need to restore it.

Download evasi0n from: evasi0n for iOS 6.0 - 6.1

Or Homepage: evasi0n.com

You must also remember to disable the lock passcode before you start this process (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock). Close iTunes if it is running, and don't use your device while the process is under way (duh!). If the process gets stuck somewhere, it's safe to restart the program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home until it shuts down), and rerun the process.

NOTE to Mac users: If you get an error on OS X 10.8 saying that evasi0n can't be opened, control-click (or right-click) the app and on the revealed context menu, choose 'Open.' On the ensuing dialogue box, choose 'Open' as well.

Evasi0n has a (thankfully) simple interface, it is one button that you can use as long as it has detected your device, iOS version and displays what it is correctly. When you click the button it will go to work immediately, retrieving data needed from the iPhone/iPad to jailbreak the device, then it will proceed to reboot it.

Stage 2 of the process involves injecting data, and working on installing Cydia.

You will be prompted during the process to unlock the device and to run the Jailbreak app that will have appeared, so just find it and run it and envasi0n will continue.

If the process completes successfully, then envasi0n will complete as shown in the screenshot below. Your device will reboot a couple of times and Cydia will do some configuring but it shouldn't take too long to complete.

All in the all, the process with the iPhone took only a few minutes and went off without an issue. Hopefully it'll be the same for you. Cheers @evad3rs.

Previous Next  

32 user comments

14.2.2013 14:34

I have been trying to unlock my iPhone 5 for an hour or so... Tried downloading from various sites as well. The issue seems to be the program not recognizing my device (I'm guessing). The "jailbreak" button never lights up to become a clickable button, no matter what I've tried thus far. Not sure what to do to make it work at this point. Simple program that only needs one button to run, yet that button cannot be clicked on my end.

24.2.2013 14:40

Originally posted by Flasht2:
I have been trying to unlock my iPhone 5 for an hour or so... Tried downloading from various sites as well. The issue seems to be the program not recognizing my device (I'm guessing). The "jailbreak" button never lights up to become a clickable button, no matter what I've tried thus far. Not sure what to do to make it work at this point. Simple program that only needs one button to run, yet that button cannot be clicked on my end.
Ouch, didn't get that problem myself, what OS are you on? Obviously try the usual suspects (different USB ports, run the app as administrator, etc.)

34.2.2013 14:56
Mefickow
Unverified new user

Well, I'm currently trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch 5G. The process continues till 'Injecting Stage 2 jaikbreak data (step 1/3)... (Do not touch your device) and gets stuck there. Any suggestions?

I tried running it as an 'Administrator' but still the same thing. I'm on OS 6.1, by the way.

44.2.2013 15:04

Originally posted by Mefickow:
Well, I'm currently trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch 5G. The process continues till 'Injecting Stage 2 jaikbreak data (step 1/3)... (Do not touch your device) and gets stuck there. Any suggestions?

I tried running it as an 'Administrator' but still the same thing. I'm on OS 6.1, by the way.
Unfortunately no, the only thing I had the chance to test it on was my iPhone 4, though I did actually "restore" the iPhone 4 right before I carried out the jailbreak, not sure what difference that would make if any.

I guess the best place to ask about problems during it is at http://www.jailbreakqa.com/ as thats where evad3rs are suggesting people go on the site.

54.2.2013 15:11

I just installed it on my iTouch 5G, evertyhing went right so far but, I tried to download some app since PIratebay for example, and then I tried to synchronyze them on my iTouch via iTunes (a friend told me to do so), but it's written "Echec de l'installation..." which means failed to install the app.

What am I doing wrong?

64.2.2013 15:25
smarccsc
Unverified new user

CAn anyone tell me does it preserve baseband?
I am currently on iOS 5.1.1 and so

1. Should i tether iOS 6.1 using sn0wbreeze first?
2. i have iPhone4 baseband 4.10.01 . I am using gevey i dont want to brick my carrier unlock by updating baseband

74.2.2013 15:29
gmanggg
Unverified new user

been trying to write my own code to help out the dev team to no avail, but im glad someone finally got it! beautiful interface, and very smooth activation! Bravo!

84.2.2013 18:17
Marwamabrouk
Unverified new user

How to download jailbreak to ipad3 and iphone4

94.2.2013 19:04
amr1
Unverified new user

Can jailbreak unlock my Sprint iPhone 5 ?

104.2.2013 20:07
jolisaJ
Unverified new user

I just recently jailbroke my IPhone 5 but when I downloads apps in cydia I keep getting some kind of error code. 504 & 5050 I believe. Any help.?

114.2.2013 22:12

FINALLY

124.2.2013 22:50

I figured out the hang on Stage 2. In my case I reset the iPad, and I didnt go through the first time setup. After I had done so AND I launched evasi0n from the hard disk (not from the dmg) I was able to get it to work.

134.2.2013 23:22
Clove22
Unverified new user

Jailbroke my 5 6.1 and downloaded Cydia. When it rebooted it stayed on the apple icon and has been that way ever sense. HELP!!

145.2.2013 01:20
manual21
Unverified new user

Originally posted by sharkbait:
I figured out the hang on Stage 2. In my case I reset the iPad, and I didnt go through the first time setup. After I had done so AND I launched evasi0n from the hard disk (not from the dmg) I was able to get it to work.
Can you explain further, in detail, exactly what steps you took? What do you mean by 'i didn;t go through the first time set up'? I'm also hanging at 'injecting stage two'

155.2.2013 01:58

Originally posted by manual21:
Originally posted by sharkbait:
Can you explain further, in detail, exactly what steps you took? What do you mean by 'i didn;t go through the first time set up'? I'm also hanging at 'injecting stage two'
I assume that like me, you probably have backed up your device and reset it. I did so, and that leaves the unit in the factory condition, which means that you are prompted for the WiFi connection, location services, iTunes account etc. before the home screen is displayed. This is what I meant by first time setup.

Despite what I read in CultOfMac, the only way I got the jailbreak properly installed is to back up the device, update to iOS 6.1 first, let iTunes restore your device, then install jailbreak. YMMV.

165.2.2013 09:37
Gigi123456
Unverified new user

ISSUE AFTER JAILBREAK, after installing winterboar my iphone rebooted but got stuck on the apple logo. I was able to find how to turn it on again I guess in DFU mode or something like that (i'm new at this..) you know holding the power and home button and then releasing the power and continue holding the home one.. that's the only way to turn it on. Anyone else having the same issue??

175.2.2013 10:28
riaanjvr
Unverified new user

I did the process fairly quickly and successfully on an iphone 4 and an iphone 4S both running latest IOS6.1 which I installed wrom ipsw file with itunes. Tried the same thing on ipad-2 with IOS 6.2 but it gets stuck in "injecting stage 2 jailbreak data (step 1/3)
I have tried about 10 times now, even re-loaded IOS6.1 nothing wants to get the ipad-2 past this step.
HEEEEEELP anyone?

185.2.2013 14:40
otime
Unverified new user

Same problem here, however i am trying at my work pc with no itunes, will try again soon with itunes installed

195.2.2013 14:40

Tried this on my IPod Touch (6.0.1), everything went smooth until I rebooted and found that I only had 4 apps on it. Even the "settings" app was missing. What went wrong?

205.2.2013 15:23
Mee3
Unverified new user

I have jailbroken a iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, and a ipad 2 with no trouble. Maybe I'm lucky I guess.

215.2.2013 16:39
time2
Unverified new user

Originally posted by otime:
Same problem here, however i am trying at my work pc with no itunes, will try again soon with itunes installed
The no button never ligths up, was solved in my case by installing itunes..

225.2.2013 17:11

When did this site become support for evasi0n????

235.2.2013 22:07
diginorm
Unverified new user

I had no problems on iphone 5 but ipad 2 hung on the injecting stage two. i had just done a shift+restore to 6.1 and then gone straight to the jb tool. after a few more failed attempts i went through the set up stages of newly restored ipad, ie: pushed next on wifi, enabled location, agreed to end user agreement, then i rebooted the ipad, reopened evasi0n, and it worked like a charm. the evad3rs made the smoothest jb i have experienced yet, once i figured out that simple step.

245.2.2013 23:30
alantoo
Unverified new user

Had the same problem here, hanging at stage 2 and it was because after I did the restore I didn't go through the initial setup process on the iPad (choose wifi, accept terms, etc etc...).

All is good and working now!

256.2.2013 11:59

Originally posted by Gigi123456:
ISSUE AFTER JAILBREAK, after installing winterboar my iphone rebooted but got stuck on the apple logo. I was able to find how to turn it on again I guess in DFU mode or something like that (i'm new at this..) you know holding the power and home button and then releasing the power and continue holding the home one.. that's the only way to turn it on. Anyone else having the same issue??
im having the exact same issue right now and im pissed. i really need to know how to get my device back up and running.

268.2.2013 11:14

here is a STEP by STEP tutorial for you at iClarified.com...http://www.iclarified.com/27191/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone-5-4s-4-3gs-using-evasi0n-windows-61

Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

278.2.2013 13:35

Any problems may arise from applying to cluttered phone, I did fresh update to 6.1 (previously 5.1.1 jb but failed itunes update was forced to dfu b4 update), restored to last backup then run evasi0n, with no issues.
It will not work without itunes installed cos comp won't have apple drivers on.
Anyone stuck at itunes or apple logo just put in dfu then restore to 6.1 (it will erase your phone tho).
Wonder how long before apple roll out 6.1.1

289.2.2013 17:48

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Feb 2013 @ 5:49

2914.2.2013 11:19

I have been jailbreak my Iphone 3gs 6.0.1 by evasion the latest one at 6th feb, unfortunately , we cant use with unofficial sim card ,even I used SAM , but doesnt work shown no services,
Than I hve wrong install the ACutill , from Bingner.com from cydia.
finally all data are lock again , now i cant use my iphone . Please help me to guide someone how to unlock again withhout official sim card. this iphone is Jailed by Telus canada simcard.

3020.2.2013 09:49
asadg
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Dela:
Ouch, didn't get that problem myself, what OS are you on? Obviously try the usual suspects (different USB ports, run the app as administrator, etc.)

me to it never lights up

312.4.2013 13:36

Hey i tried to jaillbreak an iphone 3gs and it reseted everything i dont have any app icon what i do?

322.4.2013 13:36

Hey i tried to jaillbreak an iphone 3gs and it reseted everything i dont have any app icon what i do?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive