AfterDawn: Tech news

Pew: Facebook losing American interest

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 05 Feb 2013 3:00 User comments (3)

Pew: Facebook losing American interest

According to a recent Pew Internet & American Life Project survey, U.S. residents are quickly losing interest in Facebook, the dominant social networking behemoth.
About 70 percent of all online Americans use Facebook, compared to 16 percent for Twitter and 20 percent for LinkedIn.

The report, which cites the survey of 1000 Americans aged 18-99, is called "Coming and Going on Facebook."

20 percent of online adults who do not currently use Facebook did use it at one time, but became so angry with the site and its experience that they eventually stopped using it. Many users cited privacy concerns and a want to not have to share their lives as the main reasons for leaving. Additionally, 61 percent of users said they have taken voluntary breaks from the site for a period of 3 weeks, or longer.

28 percent of users also claimed the site has become less important to them over the last year and 34 percent said they spent less time on the social network over the last year.

Previous Next  

3 user comments

15.2.2013 20:29

Wow! More for LinkedIn than Twitter? I had no idea they were that popular.

26.2.2013 18:04

Yes, sign me up!
I certify that I want to be used like a street whore by cynical, smirking, sharks who use their constantly shifting privacy rules to rob me of my personal information.
I further certify that I will try and involve family members and strangers in the same.
I further affirm that I have an extra Y chromosome and fully expect at some point to have my credit rating compromised.

38.2.2013 23:08

I have no use for any of these parasitical sites. Had a Facebook account once years back simply because of some girl who moved away and wanted to stay in touch, but after 3 months of Facebook crap in my email I cancelled it. Had Linkedin for about the same time, that was even worse than Farcebook was, and I've never touched Twit-er. Just have no reason to tell perfect strangers what I'm doing at all times.
Right now I'm scratching my nu...sorry

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive