AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft, Symantec behead botnet, give infected machines clean-up information

Written by James Delahunty @ 07 Feb 2013 6:20 User comments (6)

Microsoft, Symantec behead botnet, give infected machines clean-up information Microsoft, Symantec and U.S. marshals take down C&C servers.
Technicians and U.S federal marshals served warrants at data centers in Weehawken, New Jersey, and Manassas, Virginia, on Wednesday, taking aim at servers that send commands to zombies that were zapped into the Bamital botnet. They seized control of one server at the New Jersey location, and persuaded the Virginia data center to contact its parent company in Holland to take down another, according to Retuers.

Richard Boscovich, assistant general counsel with Microsoft's Digital Crimes Unit, told the Reuters news agency that they had a high degree of confidence that the operation has brought down the whole crime operation.

The problem did not end there for infected machines however, as the Bamital botnet was used to redirect web searches as part of an advertisements scam. That meant that infected machines - estimated between 300,000 and 1,000,000 - could no longer use web services.

To alert those users of their PC's infection, they will now be redirected by different servers to information explaining their situation, and how to fix it.

"You have reached this website because your computer is very likely to be infected by malware that redirects the results of your search queries. You will receive this notification until you remove the malware from your computer," a message on the redirected page reads.

This is the sixth time that Microsoft has used the legal system to take down botnets since 2010.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

17.2.2013 06:28

and if microsoft did there job and checked there code they wouldnt have this problem to begin with

27.2.2013 06:32

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
and if microsoft did there job and checked there code they wouldnt have this problem to begin with
Not exactly accurate. Malware isn't mostly delivered through Windows bugs at all, it is delivered through web browsers and so on. There's not a whole lot you can do about that, if you are Microsoft, as they have designed the operating system to be open to third party code entirely unverified (well, device drivers in 64-bit Windows and some other examples are a different story, for a good reason). Combine that with the fact that Windows is the consumer OS of choice for PCs and you have also then got the investment in developing malware for it.

37.2.2013 22:15

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
All code has holes no matter who writes it or how much fanboys defend it. The problem with your statement is that Windows is just as secure as the other OSes and is updated regularly. The malware of today usually comes in through an insecure 3rd pary add on like Java or Flash. Most people ignore the update notifications and I have tracked most Malware infections I have fixed over the past couple years to a Java exploit that allowed in some sort of Malware program that opened the door for more trojans and viruses to get in.

Microsoft seems committed to doing everything they can to track these malware criminals down and for that I commend them and I can honestly say if you practice safe browsing habits and kee your computer maintained and up to date with patches for both the OS and 3rd party software you will remain infection free. I guess that is why I have not had an infection on any of my PCs since Windows 98 where I learned my lesson.

48.2.2013 13:23

Forget accusing the OS creators like Microsoft and so forth that's like the dog biting his tail. Force these companies to offer free cures for these infections. No more charging for these services. Make them stop creating software just to find license cracks also.

58.2.2013 23:27

I was going to blast "megadunderhead's" inanely dunderheaded post but you guys did a good enough job already, so I'll just say Good Job MS, Symantec and the US Marshall service!!

611.2.2013 11:33

Well done MS. I hate those cybermafia aholes with a passion.

I knew we could fight back eventually.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive