AfterDawn: Tech news

Xbox was made 'to stop Sony', former Microsoft VP says

Written by James Delahunty @ 07 Feb 2013 6:29 User comments (21)

Xbox was made 'to stop Sony', former Microsoft VP says Xbox was all about hurting Sony.
Joachim Kempin used to be VP for Windows sales at Microsoft, and has since gone on to write a book about his experiences with the software giant. He recently gave an interview for IGN, in which he was asked for details on Microsoft's motivation to launch a dedicated games console in late 2001.

"The main reason was to stop Sony," he said, explaining that Sony and Microsoft did not have a very comfortable relationship, but asserting that this wasn't Microsoft's intention.

"Sony was always very arm's length with Microsoft. Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft's friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have co-operated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know?" Kempin added.

Bill Gates looked upon Sony's home consoles as potentially being a threat to Microsoft's business, as the PlayStation platform could evolve beyond the gaming space and be used for purposes that clash with personal computer usage.

So Microsoft decided the best way to protect itself was to seek to beat Sony in the game space, launching the Xbox in 2001 and then following it up with the Xbox 360 in 2005.

Previous Next  

21 user comments

17.2.2013 13:49

Well after a 25B debt they just might have paid off it seems like they made a solid enough foot hold. Now watch them blow their foot off with the used game blocking BS.

27.2.2013 14:25

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Well after a 25B debt they just might have paid off it seems like they made a solid enough foot hold. Now watch them blow their foot off with the used game blocking BS.
Yup, lets see how the next few months pan out with the trade shows, fingers crossed

37.2.2013 15:03

HAHA and now MS has to use SONY's Bluray drive in next console.

47.2.2013 15:11

They don't have to use Sony's bluray but the alternative would mean they would pay out a lot more. If other rumors are to be true and the 720 will come with a Win 8 like interface, I dunno how well it'll sell.

57.2.2013 19:10

like every company...

67.2.2013 19:10

Originally posted by DK1979:
lol!

77.2.2013 20:22

I would have preferred the games be on some new flash drive format, but at least with bluray support I can get rid of my ps3.

88.2.2013 00:48

This is very old well known information.

98.2.2013 03:34

Originally posted by DK1979:
Well, they don't have to.
They could use one of several alternatives.

Besides Blu-ray has hardly been a repeat of DVD's success in wider applications (or even in movies).
I guess we're so far down the road with it now it's cheap & convenient on the scale they will use it.
I doubt anyone makes a big margin in it any more....and that'll be the part that will please them in relation to what Sony get out of it.

108.2.2013 10:09

Microsoft has too short of runs on their game systems, for example: 2001 original Xbox release, 2005 Xbox 360 release, at this rate why don't we see the newest Xbox 720 by 2009 ??? Plus end of life is end of game life too, and all online game support is history which was the dumbest decision ever made by a company. Brilliant idea, let's cut off all our original Xbox fan base and all the money they invested in games just because We Microsoft feel that We are so damn cheap and incompentent that we refuse to use our online servers to cater to our millions of original Xbox fan base. Unbelievable stupid move Microsoft. If anybody had the technlogy to do it they could have, but Microsoft just refused because of being too cheap. That is why I have not bought Xbox 360 anything. Xbox 360 fans will be dumped just like the original Xbox. It's as if Facebook deletes everybody's 5 year old pictures and all old data because they don't have the room on their servers. Microsoft you can jump off a cliff with Xbox 720 and Windows 8, you ain't getting another dime from me.....

118.2.2013 11:11

Originally posted by Azuran:
This is very old well known information.
Yep, old news and it's kind of obvious :-)

128.2.2013 13:05

Originally posted by aarowsmith:
Microsoft has too short of runs on their game systems, for example: 2001 original Xbox release, 2005 Xbox 360 release, at this rate why don't we see the newest Xbox 720 by 2009 ???
Er, because your claim is incorrect, they didn't have "too short runs", not on their 2nd console the Xbox 360?

Their very first console, the mk1 Xbox was dropped after a row with the GPU manufacturer, it left them in an impossible situation.....and it's why they got into holding the rights for the complete console manufacture, which they didn't have.
They learned that one the hard way.

There have only been 2 consoles.

Plus end of life is end of game life too, and all online game support is history
Not necessarily. Dreamcast games were supported for years after the console died.
Given the tens of millions playing Gears, CoD etc etc I don't see any reason why those will stop the moment the next Xbox comes out.

Xbox 360 fans will be dumped just like the original Xbox.
Except the Xbox 360 was not replaced in 2009 as you expected, it is going to have the 10yr 'life' promised.

But that's some crystal ball you have there.
Got Saturdays lottery numbers too?

Microsoft you can jump off a cliff with Xbox 720 and Windows 8, you ain't getting another dime from me.....
You forgot to bitch about Vista.....weird, all that anger (if slightly confused) about a cheap game console.
Get all 3.
Don't miss out.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Feb 2013 @ 1:09

138.2.2013 21:23

All very true, you made some very good points here. I might give Microsoft another chance as long as they don't drop support for the 360. I am looking to get one soon, a new 360 I hope. Used 360's can have issues with hardware I've heard. I did not realize that the original Xbox end of line issues was because of chip manufacture deals gone wrong ? Yea' true Vista was bad, but in my opinion not as much as a dis-connect with consumers as Windows 8 is. I love and use Windows 7 so Microsoft is still getting my money atleast in the near past.

Cheers'

149.2.2013 05:33

@ aarowsmith

Get a slim, you should be fine (they're as reliable as anybodys out there - as well as being night & day different in fan noise).

Personally I hope they retain the backward compatibility, lots of people with lots of 360 games would love that.

Vista was good after the SP1 update, it really did a lot to make it a decent OS.
I can't say I know anything much about Win 8, I've seen it but not used it myself yet.....but I do know if the new interface bugs you it can be made to look & feel like Win 7 without too much drama.

But then every new OS gets bashed at the start for previous features missing or moved.

As far as I can make out Win 8 is all about pulling the various platforms together so they appear to share a common & familiar OS.....and I think that's something inevtiable & a very worthwhile goal, even if it does take a little while longer to get there.

1511.2.2013 11:23

...Plus end of life is end of game life too, and all online game support is history...
I can't comment on the online support aspect but as you haven't bought into them you may not know that there is as huge revival and release in HD of past classic games on their respective online stores... For example ICO and Shadow of the Colossus have been re-released as a pair in HD for $30 on PSN. I know it's not the same thing (buying it again and all) but it is a serious consideration.

1611.2.2013 11:43

Originally posted by Jemborg:
...Plus end of life is end of game life too, and all online game support is history...
I can't comment on the online support aspect but as you haven't bought into them you may not know that there is as huge revival and release in HD of past classic games on their respective online stores... For example ICO and Shadow of the Colossus have been re-released as a pair in HD for $30 on PSN. I know it's not the same thing (buying it again and all) but it is a serious consideration.
Very cool, thanks for the info and I will definately check it out on Xbox Live. There is also allot of free games too online ? You said it is available online on PSN, is that Play Station Network ? I don't own a Sony Playstation anything.

I have heard that the PS3 has tanked online and off, no where near as popular as the 360. I wonder if Sony will ever get it together for their new PS4 machine and if they will ever gain popular ground over Microsoft 360 and 720 ? I guess we'll see what happens......
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Feb 2013 @ 11:49

1711.2.2013 12:45

All very true, you made some very good points here. I might give Microsoft another chance as long as they don't drop support for the 360. I am looking to get one soon, a new 360 I hope. Used 360's can have issues with hardware I've heard. I did not realize that the original Xbox end of line issues was because of chip manufacture deals gone wrong ? Yea' true Vista was bad, but in my opinion not as much as a dis-connect with consumers as Windows 8 is. I love and use Windows 7 so Microsoft is still getting my money atleast in the near past.

Cheers'
regardless microsoft stopping production of hardware; all the game developers did as well,mind you looking back its not like there aren't many games for the platform & certainly the 360 has a whole stack tho like you i would prefer the games kept coming for a little while longer after the 360 is stopped being produced,i suspect they will for the amount out in the wild
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Feb 2013 @ 12:46

1825.2.2013 20:01

Very cool, thanks for the info and I will definately check it out on Xbox Live. There is also allot of free games too online ? You said it is available online on PSN, is that Play Station Network ? I don't own a Sony Playstation anything.

I have heard that the PS3 has tanked online and off, no where near as popular as the 360...
Yep that's the PS network... but the same applies to XBL. I only referred to the PSN because I don't go online with my x360 as it's modded. There are no "free" games online.

Can't really see that it's "tanked". X360 is generally considered better quality for online gaming than the PS3. However in Australia, for instance, you can forget about decent gaming internationally on either platform... you have to stay local unfortunately.

--------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Feb 2013 @ 8:03

1925.2.2013 20:13

There are no "free" games online.

Well, that's not exactly 100% accurate.
Every game on XBL has a decent 'free' trial you can download and play
(and you don't need XBL gold for this either).

That's actually a hell of a lot of free content.

2025.2.2013 22:18

Originally posted by Interestx:
There are no "free" games online.

Well, that's not exactly 100% accurate.
Every game on XBL has a decent 'free' trial you can download and play
(and you don't need XBL gold for this either).

That's actually a hell of a lot of free content.

If that's what he meant by free... sure.

2126.2.2013 09:41

Sigh, I wasn't going to post, but I can't help it... There's no such thing as free lunch, that's a true statement! BUT, there are things you can enjoy while paying little as possible. It's all about the little things coming together for the fees you pay.

$50 PS+ a year (you can get it cheaper like Live cards, places like eBay or store promotions) will net you a fair deal of free games. If you have a Vita, PS+ is even a sweeter option.

The trial versions don't need any membership fees (Live or PSN), but they are NOT exactly full games. Yes, you can play them fine within the timed period, but no achievement/trophy will be given. I know it's not a deal breaker for a lot of gamers. However, in general, the trial game selection is weak. There's nothing wrong picturing trial games as FREE games, after all, they're fully playable games! It's fine and dandy until you have friends come over and want to check some of them out and you discover the games trial time is up.

With paying membership, you essentially prolonging the expiration date, but the difference is that you have the option to renew (as in the example above, friends come over). Of course, with paying membership, you're also getting discounts as well as some free games you actually keep (no expiration dates).

There's no such thing as free game, even though free games you download onto your tablets or smartphones. Nothing is free, but sometimes you just need to step back and say "hmmm, for this amount of money, I'm getting a pretty good deal."

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive