AfterDawn: Tech news

GameStop: Gamers could snub new consoles without pre-owned support

Written by James Delahunty @ 07 Feb 2013 4:47 User comments (23)

GameStop: Gamers could snub new consoles without pre-owned support GameStop cites surveys of its customers.
The game retailer - which makes around half of its profits from selling pre-owned games - has warned that its customers might decide not to buy a next generation games console if it blocks playing pre-owned titles.

GameStop spokesman, Matt Hodges, pointed to surveys of members of the chain's PowerUp Rewards loyalty program, which boasts about 21 million members in the United States, that suggest they would be reluctant to spend their money on such restrictive platforms. PowerUp members were responsible for about 75 percent of all GameStop's sales in the United States last year.

"We know the desire to purchase a next-generation console would be significantly diminished if new consoles were to prohibit playing pre-owned games, limit portability or not play new physical games," Hodges told Bloomberg.

Following a report this week suggesting that Microsoft's next Xbox console would not allow pre-owned games to be played (with physical discs coming with one-time activation codes), shares of GameStop dropped 6 percent to $52.50.

Microsoft has so far refused to confirm or deny the reports about the restriction.

Previous Next  

23 user comments

17.2.2013 17:12

I won't be purchasing the new 360. If I can't purchase used games or even trade for others. I'm not a big gamer anymore and even teh 60 dollar price tag on games. Made me reluctant to purchase this generation. Good luck to them. Because they aren't getting my money.

27.2.2013 17:23

No point in wasting time in threads where x is supposed to do this or have that,its nothing but a load of BS as indicated at the bottom of the article

"Microsoft has so far refused to confirm or deny the reports about the restriction"

37.2.2013 18:21

Consumers hate being told what they can and can't do with their legally purchased items. That said, MS is in for a whole lot of PR if they continue to keep silent.

47.2.2013 18:58

Game stop to me is useless. Used games however, is a hot button for a lot of people. I will have to wait and see what the next generation consoles have to offer and limit the end user.

57.2.2013 20:19

Maybe Microsoft is waiting for Sony to announce that the PS4 won't have used game support and then when Microsoft brings out their system it can play used games, giving them the upper hand.

67.2.2013 20:54

I was already going to preorder the new sim city but when I read that it had always on DRM I just didn't, the same apllies here, I'll rather get a moded 360 and play all the games I missed this generation rather than getting into this bllsht

77.2.2013 23:09

I am sick of Microsoft thinking they can just do what they want. So many things with this article just bother me with them even considering a one time activation code. If this comes to light they will ruin the game market for them just as they ruined Windows 8.

87.2.2013 23:22

I'd be willing to bet that M$ has fielded many of these rumors themselves, just to test the waters on such a move. Screw paying for focus groups, amirite?

98.2.2013 04:12

MS don't give a feck about you! All they want is your money and when they get that, they'll come back and mug you again. They're also, "cupid stunts", look what they done to the Flight Sim franchise.

108.2.2013 10:56
gmcnewlook
Unverified new user

in another words, gamestop is scared....... while i dont support the amount of BS the publishers pull, (Disc locked content you have to pay to unlock, the fact you have to be online all the time with some pc games even if you dont want to use the multiplayer functions, nintendo locking content to your hardware rather than account..... )

118.2.2013 11:16

Of course GS is scared, used games are 50% of their blood. Like everybody else here, can't wait to find out the real deal...

128.2.2013 12:30

I am sure MS makes more off of xbox live than they ever have selling consoles & games. Why ruin a good thing ? most people pay 5-8 bucks a month FOREVER. I believe they actually lost money on the console. And every dvd game disc the get paid a royalty. Who cares if it is me buying it or gamefly & redbox buying 50,000 copies. To me its all about control. Control of what, where and when you play. I am hoping its just a stupid rumor. If it's just meant to track or shutdown pirated copies then that's fine. I have a real job and pay for my games. And there are plenty of trial versions available.

138.2.2013 12:32

yep, reminds me of the starcraft 2 and diablo 3 games that I didn't buy because of the ridiculous drm.

148.2.2013 12:56

It's not the console which has the capability to do this that matters (the existing PS3 & Xbox 360 could right now) it is whether the game devs make use of the facility in the software & the requirements they impose.

Blaming Microsoft or Sony is a red herring, it's boycotting the games the games which try to force this on us which will count (and no point doing the console fanboy thing on it either, PS4 & the next Xbox - like PCs now - will all offer the ability to devs, the issue is which of them try to take it up).

158.2.2013 14:09

Sony already filed the patent for the technology to make systems not play a game on two consoles. So unless Microsoft buys the rights from Sony or pays a fee for every game, it won't happen.

168.2.2013 14:44

Originally posted by Bryan3404:
Sony already filed the patent for the technology to make systems not play a game on two consoles. So unless Microsoft buys the rights from Sony or pays a fee for every game, it won't happen.

All they have to do is file another patent that is slightly different, and no they will not have to pay anybody anything, if that is how the world worked there would be no competing company's etc.

178.2.2013 15:52

Originally posted by Interestx:
It's not the console which has the capability to do this that matters (the existing PS3 & Xbox 360 could right now) it is whether the game devs make use of the facility in the software & the requirements they impose.

Blaming Microsoft or Sony is a red herring, it's boycotting the games the games which try to force this on us which will count (and no point doing the console fanboy thing on it either, PS4 & the next Xbox - like PCs now - will all offer the ability to devs, the issue is which of them try to take it up).
Not true at all. As others have mentioned, $ony has already stated this is their intention, and publicly showed their patent to such. Sort of a write once nfc tag. When that tag is read on the hardware level of the system it has the ability to block it in hardware before any developers can or not honor it in software. This IS the intent.
The likely prospect is that the hardware detected flag will initially be passed to developers who can decide what to do with it, and will be sent to all online services. However, you've seen the craziness of the DRM lovers, so it's likely they will want to use and this code and reject or resell games with this code.

And as we've seen already, if it does come optional, it can be removed later. Just like they removed OtherOS with the PS3 with a firmware update, they can, and will do the same if it doesn't come hardware enforced out of the box.

As to whether I purchase any "next generation" console, merely having this option, even if it's not yet enforced, will prevent me from purchasing it.
However, this only applies to M$. I don't support $0ny or their business practices or customer views in any way, and will not purchase their products. This patent is just another fatal strike to keep me away.

188.2.2013 18:33

hhmm...I would expect MS or Sony to release their new consoles with the ability to play used games. Then, after a million or so consoles are sold, they'll do a firmware update that removes the ability to play used games without the original code. But, doesn't this no-play thing mean that the console would have to have an "always on" internet connection?

199.2.2013 05:39

I was pretty sure I'd read Sony had a patent for this quite early on in the PS3 'life-cycle'.

They didn't try it. I suspert there is good reason for that....but let's be serious they know the consumer - all over the world - will hate it, passionately.

That's before we get onto the people who don't go on-line and/or have slow connections.

Yes I expect in theory Microsoft & Sony (like PC game devs) could introduce this but I bet they don't.

"Gamers could snub new consoles without pre-owned support"

D'ya think?

209.2.2013 20:51

i think if they wanted to regain popularity they should make no activation codes and all systems backwards compatable with old systems and they will be winning.
ea games already have an online season pass for most games which you can buy online or get it with an original game brand new.

2111.2.2013 13:55

If Sony does that it will be the last nail in his coffin...........

2211.2.2013 14:32

Originally posted by keithbeat:
Oh ya trade in your used game to game stop so they can give you a buck fifty for it !! game stop is just saving its own @$$ on this one Screw game stop !!
Game$top in many ways is just like Micro$oft :(
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Feb 2013 @ 2:39

2315.2.2013 10:53

In the headline "GameStop: Gamers could snub new consoles without pre-owned support", please change the word "could" to "will".

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive