AfterDawn: Tech news

Will the PS4 cost $400?

Written by James Delahunty @ 07 Feb 2013 5:27 User comments (6)

Will the PS4 cost $400?

Did Japanese newspaper suggest $400 price tag on Sony's upcoming console?
The reports swirling around suggest that Japanese newspaper, Asahi News, priced the PS4 console at $400. However, as Kotaku pointed out, the report only stated that the console was expected to sell for more than ¥40,000, which converts to about $427.

The PS3, when it launched, cost ¥60,000 in Japan, and $499-$599 in the United States based on the HDD space. Heading into the holiday season - when the PS4 is expected to ship in North America - with a price tag of $400 would be very interesting, but that's not what the Japanese report said.

Instead, it seems to have just been speculation that was lost in translation and became just another leaked detail about the PS4.

We are unlikely to know what the PS4 will cost for some time yet, even if most details are given at the event on February 20, as there is a big difference between producing early development models, and producing for the mass market.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

17.2.2013 18:24

If they implement their DRM patent on the PS4, they will run into the same fight MS is about to have with their next gen console. I really hope Kaz thought about his consumers first when it comes to the 20th announcement.

28.2.2013 03:25

The Wii U has made sure $600/£425 is not happening again.....and the new Xbox similarly will not be able to command a high launch price.
I'd expect prices to stay higher than they might tho as they attempt to get a return on the R&D much sooner than has been the case this gen (especially if Sony given their financial state).

As for the claims about 2nd hand games/DRM?
Last I heard that can't happen in Europe thanks to EU rulings.....and there's no way I can see Microsoft doing anything to hurt a repeat of their US success.

A handful of game companies might try it out (& I bet EA is one of them itching to try it out on a couple of titles.....until the protests hit their pockets hard) but there's no way I can see it being a typical situation.

38.2.2013 09:27

Sony is experiencing big problems just trying to sell their new Vita and they didn't exactly do well with PS3's, like they did with the PS2, so they might want to price lower then $400 to compete with the Wii U and get their customer base back, which will draw more software companies back to them, win-win.

48.2.2013 12:24

I don't care what the PS4 costs. Sony's anti-consumer policies in the name of fighting piracy have been so Draconian that I'll never buy another Sony product.

58.2.2013 12:45

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
Sony is experiencing big problems just trying to sell their new Vita and they didn't exactly do well with PS3's, like they did with the PS2, so they might want to price lower then $400 to compete with the Wii U and get their customer base back, which will draw more software companies back to them, win-win.
Given the vast multi-billion $ losses Sony have been making over the last 5yrs the last thing they need is a repeat of PS3 (where they make no money out of it until it is in its final years & the margins are slim on a much lower price).

That is to say they made no money out of it in terms of paying back the R&D (esp the Blu-ray side of things) costs but now make a small margin on each sold.
That's a disaster.
Just as Vita is turning into another difficult one for them.

Some Sony fans point to Xbox having a net cost to Microsoft of about $4 billion (still).
But Microsoft make more post-tax profit than that in less than 1 quarter.

If they have to launch at the usual initial loss making price greater than expected (thanks to Wii U) - even with the cheaper rumoured 'off the shelf' components - that is hardly any kind of win for them.

PS4 may indeed turn out to be the rumoured 'last Playstation'.....and if the rumours of its spec are true it's not exactly going to out (if it does) with a bang.
I think that's a pity.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Feb 2013 @ 12:50

68.2.2013 15:58

Originally posted by SoTired:
I don't care what the PS4 costs. Sony's anti-consumer policies in the name of fighting piracy have been so Draconian that I'll never buy another Sony product.
++1 !!!!!!!!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive