AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft understated free usable space for Surface Pro

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 10 Feb 2013 12:08 User comments (4)

Microsoft understated free usable space for Surface Pro The Internet was up in arms earlier this week when Microsoft announced that its 128GB Surface Pro only had 83GB of actual usable space.
It appears, however, the Microsoft understated their own estimate, due to a difference between their production and final shipping units.

In reality, the tablet will have 89.7GB of free space, a figure that is not significantly higher but is certainly an upgrade.

Says Verge: "A source inside Microsoft tells me the employee who confirmed the numbers did so using pre-production machines that contained different disk images and debug code that is different from final shipping units that will be on sale beginning this weekend."

The same deal is existent for the 64GB model, which will actually ship with 29GB of usable space, compared to Microsoft's own 23GB estimate.

Previous Next  

4 user comments

110.2.2013 12:20

They should still advertise the space after the OS. Claiming the space is less because of formatting, ie. Using base 10 values and not base 2, is not that big a deal. But when you think you are getting 128 GB and you really only have 89 GB then you are being lied too.

Does anyone not think that that space difference is huge for an OS?

210.2.2013 16:05

How is this any different than the MacBook Air or other computing products? The Macbook Air only has 99GB free of the 128GB SSD it includes and that does not have a recovery partition. If you use the utility to offload the recovery partition on the Surface Pro it jumps over 97GB free.

If you buy a computer and it says it has a 500GB Hard Drive it is accepted that the 500GB us measured in 1,000,000 bytes equals 1GB which actually brings the total size down and then there is the space used by the OS and preinstalled applications.

So basically they advertise it has a 128GB total capacity just like they have been doing with computing products since like forever. It is understood (or at least should be) the more the OS can do the more room it is going to take. I mean my 32GB iPhone only has barely over 27GB free for use and that is just a phone OS.

310.2.2013 16:14

Originally posted by bobiroc:
How is this any different than the MacBook Air or other computing products? The Macbook Air only has 99GB free of the 128GB SSD it includes and that does not have a recovery partition. If you use the utility to offload the recovery partition on the Surface Pro it jumps over 97GB free.

If you buy a computer and it says it has a 500GB Hard Drive it is accepted that the 500GB us measured in 1,000,000 bytes equals 1GB which actually brings the total size down and then there is the space used by the OS and preinstalled applications.

So basically they advertise it has a 128GB total capacity just like they have been doing with computing products since like forever. It is understood (or at least should be) the more the OS can do the more room it is going to take. I mean my 32GB iPhone only has barely over 27GB free for use and that is just a phone OS.
You are correct. I guess it isn't a big deal. Just feels like they use a huge chunk for the OS, and it is supposed to be a mobile device.

410.2.2013 17:20

Originally posted by neronut:
Originally posted by bobiroc:

You are correct. I guess it isn't a big deal. Just feels like they use a huge chunk for the OS, and it is supposed to be a mobile device.
Well it is running full Windows so it is basically like a laptop which is also a mobile device. The problem is SSDs are expensive but are used because they are fast and consume less power. If it was a 500+GB drive like comes in most computers using standard hard drives no one would be bitching.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive