1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adwcleaner has removed all passwords

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by bauld1, Feb 11, 2013.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

well,well,well "I see!" said the blind man... when he picked up his hammer and SAW.

Just as I thought, and it will take me a while to go through it, so don't get discouraged..
    It's just like eating an elephant.... one small Byte at a time. :)

I'll get some of it together and get back to you tomorrow. This should be FUN and a big lesson for the both of us. Just remember: no matter how old you get, make every day a learning day..

2oG

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

OK, bauld1, here’s the poop on your problems.

You have a 5yr old laptop with a Pentium dual core with probably a small amount of RAM, Vista needs a lot of ram, and a small 139GB hard drive that’s about 80% full.

You have a lot of HP Bloatware and programs that are probably not being used that are starting each time you boot and running all the time. They are taking up about all the RAM that is so needed by Vista that’s what slows you down so much.

You got hit by a Trojan that evidently came in on Java. It’s no longer on your machine but the damage has been done and left for you.

There are several ways you can go to get you back in running condition, all of which are a pain in the butt so you don’t loose all of your Data i.e. My Documents, my Pictures, my music, my videos etc. etc.

I don’t know about HP’s recovery but, some of them have 2 ways you can go. That is, a Full recovery back to the way it was when you first got it or a second way that saves your data. Don’t know what you have?

Or if I work with you we may have a chance to get it going and save what we can but, that would take a lot of time, maybe weeks, It's very difficult to fix one in this condition if it's not sitting on my workbench and you would have to follow my instructions to the letter..

Think about it and let me know…
    We can do a Q&A on it.

2oG

3. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
    Had an idea that it might require a full recovery,but,if I need startup discs etc,I don't Know where they are.The only thing that I would like to salvage/keep is itunes
    daughters and my own,the only other things used are skype and utorrent and they can be installed again.(maybe part of the problem)
    Again many thanks for your time,knowledge and patience,I'll pass the buck and leave it in your capable hands(no pressure lol)whatever you think is the best and easiest way forward.
    Cheers
    bauld1

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Gday bauld1,

Do you have a USB drive that you can save your tunes and data to? That would help.

You really need a larger HD, 150 is nothing these days..

utorrent can be a problem it makes calls to bad sites that can infect you. I use it but, I block it's outbound calls.

I have had a problem with Avast having conflicts with other programs and that is what your problems seem to be telling me. I had a Trojan that also infected me through Java and it got in because Avast was butting heads with MalwareBytes Pro. I don't see any programs on your machine that I would think it would conflict with but, who knows.

You have a huge amount of programs that need to be deleted and probably some data files you don't use anymore. We can free up some space and try to fix the kinks in your operating system if you like. You will have to uninstall a lot of old junk and follow my instructions without trying anything on your on until we get through with it.

let me know and we will take it from there.

2oG

5. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Late reply as comp is running slow,1.5 hrs to reply,comp wasn't as slow earlier,typical lol.
    I have an external hard drive,but its not the stuff in itunes,its the actual programme,passwords etc,if it can't be saved,no probs a few days of tears and i'll get over it lol.
    Anything that needs to be kept has been(itunes apart)so whatever needs deleted uninstalled/installed can be.
    Let me know the next step,it will be a few hours before i start,heading to bed and comp is so slow.Many thanks for your kind help,take care
    Cheers
    bauld1

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

After thinking about it, I believe you may be better restoring your system because I don't think you will be able to recover any passwords or settings.

Check this out then let me know if you can get into it and what you think about it.

Starting the recovery from the Windows Vista desktop

Use the following steps to recover the computer starting from the Windows Vista desktop:
    1. Disconnect and remove all external devices such as printers, USB drives, and memory cards.

2. From the Windows desktop click Start , and then type recovery manager in the Search field.

3. Select Recovery Manager from the list, and then press the Enter key. Allow the action to continue if prompted.

4. On the Welcome to the Recovery Manager screen, click Next .
    Figure 1: Recovery Manager: Welcome to the Recovery Manager

[​IMG]
    5. On the Software Program Re-installation screen, select No , and then click Next.
    Figure 2: Recovery Manager: Software program re-installation

[​IMG]
    6. On the Hardware Driver Re-installation screen, select No , and then click Next.
    Figure 3: Recovery Manager: Hardware Driver Re-installation

[​IMG]
    7. On the Microsoft System Restore screen, select No , and then click Next.
    Figure 4: Recovery Manager: Microsoft System Restore

[​IMG]
    8. On the Recover your computer to its original factory condition screen, click Yes , and then click Next.
    Figure 5: Recovery Manager: Recover your computer to its original factory condition

[​IMG]

The computer restarts and another Welcome to the Recovery Manager screen opens.

NOTE: If the computer does not display another Welcome to the Recovery Manager screen, the RECOVERY or FACTORY_IMAGE partitions on the hard drive have been deleted OR the files in these partitions have been deleted. A set of recovery discs is needed to run a System Recovery. Follow the instructions listed in the section Starting the recovery from recovery discs.

9. On the Welcome to the Recovery Manager screen, click Next.

10. On the Microsoft System Restore screen, select No , and then click Next.

11. On the System Recovery screen, confirm that you want to run a System Recovery by selecting Yes , and then click Next.

12. The Recovery Manager gives you the option of backing up your data files. To do so, read Backing up your files.

If you do not want to backup your files, select No , and then click Next.

13. After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup. Then, turn off the computer, reconnect all peripheral devices, and turn on the computer.

14. Before using the computer, update and protect your computer. Reinstall any virus and security software that was installed before the System Recovery.

15. Reinstall any software applications that were added after purchasing the computer, and any files that were backed up.

2oG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Hope all is well.Going to start recovery shortly,Recovery manager heading is there,also Recovery disc creation, i can't find original discs that came with laptop.If I have any probs I can post from another comp.
    Many thanks.
    bauld1

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

bauld1,

I hope the recovery works out OK. I am pretty sure it will because I have used it on laptops before and had good luck with it.

After looking over your Logs and seeing how much trouble it would be to try and fix it, I figured this would be the easiest way for you.

Keep me informed
    2oG

9. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    its ok misread your instructions

10. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    choose not to back up files,message BOOTMGR is missing Press ctrl-alt-del to restart
    tried a couple of times but this message keeps appearing,any ideas?
    Cheers
    bauld1

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

boy, I tell you, what ever you got really did a number on you....

try going to safe mode and select repair computer or whatever the wording is and find the repair menu.

walk through it and attempt to repair the boot (mbr) sector.

let me know
    2oG

12. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Lol, if everything was easy you'd be bored!!. Ok comp won't start up in safe mode
    on pressing ctrl+alt+del comp starts up
    Compaq

,esc> enable start up menu
    f1 system info
    f2 startupcheck
    f9 change boot device order
    f10 BIOS setup options
    f11 start up recovery
    then goes to msg Bootmgr etc
    when i try to start up in safe mode tap f8,f8 is making a noise.I have a lage hammer if required lolpressed f11 and its brought me back to the recovery ,i'll try again
    Cheers
    bauld1
    Error box- Error 0x400 100 130000 1002. if this continues please contact HP support

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I don't understand why your recovery is not working. it should set up a new MBR and go from there.

Have you tried to start it from F11 on start up?

2oG

14. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    On f11 - Windows is loading files, blue screen then welcome to recovery manager,
    pressed next, System Recovery -would you like to perform a sytem recovery,tick yes,next
    Factory image recovery screen-
    Reformatting the windows partion of you hard disk drive(already ticked)
    Reinstalling original content(alredy ticked)
    Then Error box appears-Error 0x 400 100 130000 1002.
    If this issue continues,please contact HP support.
    Click on ok then goes back to screen- BOOTMGR is missing
    Hammer time lol!
    Cheers
    bauld1

15. bauld1

bauld1 Member

There is an advanced option on the recovery screen,when opened
    Computer checkup
    system recovery
    Click on each option to view a description
    Shall i try both options and sse what it says/happens ?
    cheers
    bauld1

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

at this point in time.... try anything. what have you got to loose? not funny :(

2oG

17. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    On the Advanced option-
    Computer checkup-
    Windows partition
    Recovery partition
    Command prompt
    Windows partition - box appears x:windows\system32\chkdsk.exe
    The type of file system is NTFS
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    would you like to force a dismount on this volume<y/n>

Recovery partition - more or less as above

Comand prompt- box -Windows[ version 6.0.6000]
    x:\windows\system32> (flashing at end for typing)

System recovery take you back to recovery screen
    Cheers
    bauld1

18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have NO idea where you are or what to tell you.

Can you still boot into windows???

2oG

19. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    When I turn on laptop it just goes to screen with BOOTMGR etc.Won't start in safe mode
    I'll try the other f keys and let you know what they say,maybe some info that will help,
    went onto HP site and there seems to be downloadable discs ,but I don't know what/if any disc would be needed.
    Cheers
    bauld1

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

must go to work now. see you later