1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue screen on start up, reinstalling Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ThatGuyCody, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ThatGuyCody

ThatGuyCody Member

Hey, sorry, this message may be a little long. I uninstalled Photoshop from my laptop(MSI GT683R if that helps) and it wanted me to restart my computer, so I did, but when my computer tried to load Windows I would get the blue screen of death, safe mode or not. I can't say I'm completely angry because I wanted to wipe my computer soon anyways, and this just gives me a reason to do so! Enough rambling, now to the point. I'm having issues installing Windows 7 64-bit. On my list of disk partitions showing in the setup, I have:

Disk 0 Partition 1: BIOS_RVY 9.8GB(size) 342.0MB(Free) OEM Reserved
    Disk 0 Partition 2: SYSTEM 100MB(size) 73.0MB(Free) System
    Disk 0 Partition 3 553GB(size) 552.9GB(Free) PRIMARY
    Disk 4 Partition 4 368.7GB(size) 361.5GB(Free) PRIMARY
    (The reason for the used space on partition 4 is because this is where I tried to install Windows after I had tried and failed on partition 3)

Both Partition 3 and 4 are my two HDD's I have in my laptop, and I have formatted both of them, should I format Partition 1 and 2 as well? I watched a video on a clean installation of Windows and he had formatted the Partition that said SYSTEM and then installed Windows on that Partition. However, his was 10GB and my System partition is only 100MB which is just a tad bit too short on space for Windows to fit on ;)

The first time I had tried to reinstall Windows, I got an error saying "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware" I looked around online and it seems that it would be because my HDD's are RAID. I looked online for the drivers and found a link to them; I put them on to a USB and popped it in to my laptop. Windows Setup detected them, I selected them, hit next and it started to load but then I got this message "To continue installation, use the load driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers. Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unstable Windows Installation." It's the only set of drivers I could find(from the Intel website), so I went ahead and started installing Windows(probably a bad idea). This time when the Setup restarted, instead of finalizing the Setup, I just get a black screen that says "No operating system" upon which it just sits there and won't go any further, resulting me in having to power off my computer and loading from the Windows 7 CD again.

Again, I'm sorry for the long post, I've been building my own computers for six years now while having to reformat and install Windows countless times but I've never had this problem, and every other time I did you guys had the answers! So I hope that you guys can help me out once again rather than having to go to pay someone in a store $50.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need to check the manual that came with the laptop or its website on how to do a system recovery its normally accessed by tapping F8 or F10 your manufacturers website will tell you

what i'm seeing is :-

Partition 1 = Recovery partition:WARNING!! UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DELETE OR WRITE TO THIS PARTITION unless you create a backup image of it

Partition 2 = Windows creates this when its installing it's where the boot record is

Partition 3 = Would assume win 7 was originally installed there

Partition 4 = Assume you had created it by reducing size partition 3

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if don't need the recovery partition being you are using a windows disk & don't need the other partitions, delete them all, make the new c: partition wereas windows will make the new 100meg system d: partition. 2nd hard can be split into multiple partitions or just 1 partition.

4. ThatGuyCody

ThatGuyCody Member

scnorpNZ: I tried to get in to the system recovery, however when I do I get this error: Your Operating System Drive's Label is not OS_Install,
    Please set it to OS_Install and try later

ddp:I deleted them and remade the new C: partition. I'm still getting the "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware" however I am no longer getting the black screen that says no operating system found, and is at least properly rebooting to complete the Windows installation(before it fails)

Edit-ddp: Maybe I didn't do this properly. I deleted the partitions as told, I chose the undefined partition and hit new. This made Partition 2(System) and Partition 3 which is my HDD's. I went in to windows repair this time around and used the command prompt to open a notepad followed by File->Open and took a look at my drives. System Reserved(C:) is only 100mb while Local Disk(D:) is my two HDD's. Shouldn't my Local Disk(my HDD;s) D: in fact be C:? If C: is the main partition that everything get's installed on, could this be the issue as there is not enough space?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. ddp

delete all partitions so that it shows 2 unpartitioned drives, hd1 & hd2. make a new partition in hd1 which will also make the 100meg system partition. hd1 will now have 2 partitions, system & c:/drive. format c:/drive. make new partition(s) in hd2 & format. install windows on c:/drive.

6. ThatGuyCody

ThatGuyCody Member

This is probably easier than I'm making it out to be, sorry for all the questions, but I don't have two unpartitioned drives, it's only showing one(at total of 990something GB)yet I have two 500GB drives. The odd thing though is that when my computer first BSOD and I had done my first attempt to format/reinstall Windows 7, I did have both of the drives showing, however since I deleted them, they have combined in to one big partition instead. Could this be because my laptop was set to RAID? I see when you make a new partition you can choose what size it will be; I tried making the partition sizes on par with my two HDD's to see if that would work but no luck.

7. ddp

look in the bios to see if shows 1 drive or 2 drives as i think it is 1 drive & also see what the storage capacity of the drive(s).

8. royalprince

royalprince Member

Sometimes it happens due to missing DLL files. When some of the DLL file gets deleted or corrupt then system fails to start some application and prompts blue screen of death error message appears. To stop this error use DLL repair tool.