1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burned dvd movies play in standalone..not computer that burned them

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by snakeplissken, Feb 17, 2013.

1. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

Have a window 7 laptop...burned store bought movies using anydvd to get around copyprtection and to rip to the hard drive.Then I use dvd shrink 3.2 to shrink to fit a memorex dvd+r 16x 4.7gb 120min ..then i use dvd decrypter to burn..All is well in playing movies in a stand alone LG blue ray player but if I put that same movie in my computer,,the one that burned it..disk is read as blank..So why will a stand alone dvd player read it just like a store bought dvd movie but not the computer and is there software that is in the lg blueray that might not be in windows 7, vlc player or anything that might be albe to make the computer read it and play it..

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

Yep tried VLC..it cant play them...and yes I have heard memorex is the worst but when they where a xmas gift from walmart then you use what you can get...strange though how I can burn a perfect store bought quality dvd movie and it plays on our lg blueray dvd player perfectly but wont on my computer which says the disk is blank..Just keep wundering why and what software must be in the stand alone player..walmart is the only store near me that I can get blank dvds..or order them online..really sucks..

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I have a problem with my computer reading certain brands of discs that I was copying on my computer.I installed 2 new burners in my PC and on of them was an LG brand and the other was a Samsung.The LG is the one that wouldn't read certain brands of discs.It's funny how they have so many problems with the Memorex brand yet every store here where I live sells them.I am just curious what brand of DVD player you have in your computer.I'm assuming it may have something to do with the brand of discs you are using.

5. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

Well this an hp 2000-369wm notebook pc...yes a cheap laptop from walmart..the drive listed is hpcddvdw SN-208bb sata cdrom drive. So far I have been able to any and everything I could through at this laptop..high end video games you name it..but I am like you..I find it strange it wont play or read the dvds I burned with it but the LG blueray player we have will..which I just looked is a 2007 model..and MY girls daught is 21..she has an even older dvd/vhs combo player that has know problems reading the disks..and mind you they are just like a store bought movie..all the previews, extras and all like if you went to walmart and bought a movie and brought it home to watch.Did't make any difference if it was a 10 year old title or a new disney movie like brave..I was able to copy and play but not on this machine..disks read blank..

6. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///F:/'. Check the log for details.
    No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

This what VLC says when I put in a dvd movie that I burned.

7. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

Ok just looked at my VLC version..I had 2.0.3 am downloading the newer version now..2.0.5

8. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Hopefully that will solve your problem with the newer version.

9. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

We shall see..let you know in a few minutes..

10. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

the download link wouldn't install program..went to vlc site and downloaded from there..installed fine..still wont read the burned disks..still says cant read undf..oh well..thanks for trying to help

11. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

You may want to try the Window 7 codecs in the link I sent you.It is in my 2nd post at the top of the page.Don't feel bad I have the same problem some times.

12. attar

attar Senior member

You might want to try the ImgBurn Forum;Lightning UK! also created DVD Decrypter and may have an opinion as to why the burner is acting up.
    Also, DVD Decrypter keeps a log file (View > Log) which should be posted with the query.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=6

13. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i had a similar issues with some movies i mounted the iso from the dvd using daemon tools lite and opened it from there.

14. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

Sorry I didnt get back sooner...thanks guys for your help..I went to imgburn forum and posted same question there and downloaded imgburn...maybe someone can figure out why I can copy and watch movies in a stand alone but not my laptop that made the copy...and why the computer says disk is blank...who knows why

15. attar

attar Senior member

There's a debug mode in ImgBurn.
    Put a disk in the burner.
    Start ImgBurn.
    The log information screen pops up.
    Press f8 to start debug.
    On the top menu, select Mode > Write.
    On the top menu select Tools > Search for scsi/atapi devices.
    Let it scan for a few seconds and press f8 to stop debug.
    Scroll through the log screen and look for any warnings.
    If you see anything (or not) post that log back at the ImgBurn forum and ask for an opinion (that log screen popup has a menu bar that lets you click File > Save as)

-that's all I got.

16. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Here is some information from Samsung on your DVD writer that might be of some help.

https://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Products/Spec/spec.asp?functionvalue=view&no=4492&parent_idx=4413&level_idx=4492&model=SN-208BB&product=

17. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

well I posted the log on imgforums and I looked for firmware updates..doesnt look like there is any...

I 18:22:11 ImgBurn Version 2.5.7.0 started!
    I 18:22:11 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
    I 18:22:11 Total Physical Memory: 3,779,488 KB - Available: 2,237,960 KB
    W 18:22:11 Drive E:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.
    I 18:22:11 Initialising SPTI...
    I 18:22:11 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 18:22:17 -> Drive 1 - Info: hp CDDVDW SN-208BB HH01 (F:) (SATA)
    I 18:22:18 -> Drive 2 - Info: (I:) (USB)
    I 18:22:18 Found 1 CD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
    I 18:23:21 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 18:23:27 -> Drive 1 - Info: hp CDDVDW SN-208BB HH01 (F:) (SATA)
    I 18:23:27 -> Drive 2 - Info: (I:) (USB)
    I 18:23:27 Found 1 CD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

this is what was listed when I ran imgburn log...with a burned movie on a disk..
    I wunder why my drive says it doesnt support single file size 4g?

18. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Check on the bottom of the page of the link I sent you it has firmware updates.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  19. snakeplissken

snakeplissken Member

they dont list my oem version...which is hh01..thanks for your JST..means alot.

20. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013