1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDDs Disappearing?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xplorer4, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I have 2 HDDs that keep disappearing on me out of the blue. I don't have the exact dmesg(I am a linux user primarily - it prints kernel messages) error but it is something about the disk being frozen. However, the last time the drive disappeared on me, I couldn't find an error in demsg.The drive will reappear after a reboot. I have run tests on the HDDs, and they seem alright SMART wise. They are both less then 3 months old. I have a suspicion that it could be the PSU rather then the HDDs itself as I recently added a PCI Add on card with 2 SATA ports.I can not recall if the problem existed prior to putting in the card itself, but the HDDs in question are running to the SATA ports on the mobo which brings me to suspicion number 2. Could the on board SATA ports or controller be dieing?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

had that happen with a customer & it was the onboard sata controller that was crapping out after replacing the drive, ram & psu. finally got a hd error not found so replaced the sata with ide & no problem since.