AfterDawn: Tech news

Unauthorized P2P music sharing falls by 26 percent

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Feb 2013 12:55 User comments (10)

Unauthorized P2P music sharing falls by 26 percent

According to NPD, users of P2P services to download unauthorized music has fallen 17 percent year-over-year in the U.S. as consumers move towards legal alternatives.
Due to the drop, overall volume of illegally downloaded music fell 26 percent, a number that must certainly excite the record labels.

NPD's annual survey showed that piracy as a whole (for music) is falling in nearly every category.

Music files ripped from CDs owned by family/friends/acquaintances dropped by 44 percent, the number of files shared between hard drives fell by 25 percent and the volume of music downloads from cyber lockers fell by 28 percent reads the survey.

For most of those surveyed, the reason given for the slowdown in piracy was the readily available legal alternatives, such as Spotify, that offer unlimited offerings with the ability to search for tracks, new and old.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

127.2.2013 17:00

Realistic business models involving less profiteering.

227.2.2013 17:26

lol chalk this up to crap music who wants crap music

327.2.2013 17:56

Originally posted by deak91:
Really?!? I just thought it was just all music. My bad.

427.2.2013 19:06

Originally posted by Jemborg:

lol good point ....at some point in time they began to tell us that crap music is good music and no one caught on

527.2.2013 22:16

Originally posted by Jemborg:

lol good point ....at some point in time they began to tell us that crap music is good music and no one caught on
Yeah, I must admit I don't use it. I was likening it to Netflix I suppose which naturally isn't available in Oz because we're the only country in the world that can fake orgasm while being r@ped.

628.2.2013 03:40

Actually it's not just music!!!!

See the main issue is most p2p sites went from p2p to bittorrent p2p hybrid because of this there distributing more viruses malware and spyware and rar files that lead to fake sites to get fake passwords for fake rar files that infect more machines good to see most hackers are not stupid

728.2.2013 08:24

I couldn't agree more!! :)

828.2.2013 09:23

Well now that the funny is out of the way ... I think the reason is the consumer is more wise as to how they spend their money .... Sure p2p numbers went down but so did sales. I bet digital sales for singles went up but posting that would point out the truth about how they justify not making that billionth dollar they say they need or they would be hurting

928.2.2013 15:42

Well now that the funny is out of the way ... I think the reason is the consumer is more wise as to how they spend their money .... Sure p2p numbers went down but so did sales. I bet digital sales for singles went up but posting that would point out the truth about how they justify not making that billionth dollar they say they need or they would be hurting
Not to mention you can just as easily watch a video on YouTube, and from any device... you can even rip the MP3 right from the video. It's not for audiophiles, but if for some reason you need the file, you now have it.

1028.2.2013 16:41

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Not to mention you can just as easily watch a video on YouTube, and from any device... you can even rip the MP3 right from the video. It's not for audiophiles, but if for some reason you need the file, you now have it.
lol, I like to rip music from movies too; but yes people get smarter on how to get info, spend less & download the right apps.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Feb 2013 @ 4:44

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive