1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compilation dvd some with subtitles

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JWFIF, Aug 18, 2013.

1. JWFIF

JWFIF Newbie

Hi there,

I have been trying to copy some of my favourite short films onto dvds using AVStoDVD.I am using this programme because I want to have a menu and a professional look to the resulting dvd. I have already backed up the shorts, some of which have subtitles, using dvd shrink . My problem is that I haven't been able to figure out how to use AVStoDVD when I include one of these films that is subtitled. I have searched for a guide but haven't found anything. I would really appreciate help in finding a guide or being pointed in the right direction about using AVStoDVD. Or perhaps there is a better way to do what I am trying to do.

2. attar

attar Senior member

AVStoDVD doesn't seem to recognize existing subs in DVD files.
    To get the subs from the DVD clip you have to demux them using the likes of PgcDemux.
    This produces a .sup file that AvstoDVD can use.
    A further problem is that MuxMan (which AVStoDVD uses to author the new DVD) has a screwed up palette that looks garish on the subtitles (note this only applies to .sup source files; .srt files don't seem to have the problem).
    One way I know around that is after the new DVD is authored, you use PgcEdit to export an existing palette from a good dvd then import that into your new DVD.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PgcDemux

3. attar

attar Senior member

Addendum:
    It isn't MuxMan that fouls up the colour of the subs - it's because the .sup file contains an index reference to a colour palette in the (original) IFO file.
    When AVStoDVD creates the new IFO file, that reference no longer matches.

4. JWFIF

JWFIF Newbie

Thanks Attar that is very helpful. I shall get in and explore the programs you suggest although I am wondering if AVStoDVD can't handle subtitles if there is another program that does. Cheers.