1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by whiskey99, Jan 28, 2014.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I will get WIN7 & SEAGATE SSDH HDD in a few days is there anything that i need to be aware of before i start my new install.

I found SEAGATES disk wizard thats supposed to be helpful,i have found some youtube videos on how to transfer from old HDD to new HDD,but i would like to partition the new HDD and put whats on the HDD'S that are in this PC right now so if i want to look something up i will not have to go thru 180GB of data to

do it,the HDD from SEAGATE has a 1TB HDD+ the SSD PART.

Also when doing transfer whats on the other two HDD'S will the WINXP OS'S come with the transfer,any input would be appreciated,thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can partition the new hd when setting up new partition on the ssd drive for win7 to load onto. do a copy & paste from old drives to new drive this way xp does not also get loaded on.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hybrid = no ssd to partition, it has a 8Gb ssd cache. that's what makes it boot faster setting it up should be the same as a normal drive.

4. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

My understanding of this SSDH HYBRID DRIVE is like you say a small amount for OS and 1TB for data,so what i thought i should be able to do is set up 3 partitions 2 of which i want use to put data from the existing HDD'S that are in this PC right now as i said the data comes from 2 different PC'S and i do not want to dig thru 180GB of data when i may be able to keep to where i can find it if need be.
    The partitions i thought about doing would be (2)at 100GB each and the balance of approximately 800GB which will be the first partition and the other 2 afterwards.
    I finally learned how to use a thumb drive and downloaded some of security on to it and
    i thought before i hook up to the internet to run my security items after my installation of WIN7 then upgrade all of that needed upgrading from their web sites does my thinking sound reasonable,thanks for input.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

The SSD does not hold the OS, it’s a 8gig hybrid cache to load the OS faster. The data read/write cache is still 64Mb.
    I know very little about them but they have very good reviews and I have been thinking about trying one out. Maybe now I’ll see what luck you have with it before I do get one. lol

6. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,2oldGeek,Well i have had my SSD HYBRID HDD for a little while withWIN 7 BUILDERS EDITION
    and so far it starts up a lot faster then my WINXP as i can left click and in matter of seconds its at homepage now i just have go with that silly learning curve trying to find where different things are at is like looking for easter eggs.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

LOL whiskey, at our age, we can hide our own Easter eggs. And may never find any of them. ROFL [​IMG]